Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

So I had a wee gander into the lore while I await my models arrival boy am I happy I chose the Son's of the Phoenix now - Their holy crusades followed by Ministorum priests, Pilgrims and new Sisters will make excellent Imperial Soup with lots of conversion potential :)

Alright, did a stock check and this might be doable.

I, Focslain, Vow to face the unknown and will learn and build an Ad mech force by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will build, paint and donate an Industerial Terrain kit to my FLGS, chosen by the forum (please keep to under $75 guys).

Personal Limitor: I'm only going to have three squads of rangers. After that all units minus HQs most be of the robot or fortification type. Also I have to build/paint at least one forge shrine.

End Goal: Have a 2K themed army that is a repair bay guard.

Welcome Focslain, that’s quite the forfeit, good luck.

Also love to see all the Robots!

Do you have a specific Forgeworld in mind or are you going for a homebrew scheme? 

Alright, did a stock check and this might be doable.

I, Focslain, Vow to face the unknown and will learn and build an Ad mech force by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will build, paint and donate an Industerial Terrain kit to my FLGS, chosen by the forum (please keep to under $75 guys).

Personal Limitor: I'm only going to have three squads of rangers. After that all units minus HQs most be of the robot or fortification type. Also I have to build/paint at least one forge shrine.

End Goal: Have a 2K themed army that is a repair bay guard.

Welcome Focslain, that’s quite the forfeit, good luck.

Also love to see all the Robots!

Do you have a specific Forgeworld in mind or are you going for a homebrew scheme? 

I'm going to match up with my knight house in scheme with white being the main colour instead of purple. Metals I'm thinking brass as a contrast. Haven't figured out the forgeworld via rules, though Mars seems the best choice via fluff since the knights are from Taranis which is a house on Mars.

Pic of my knights for example:

HvC

So for this I'm doing a defensive style army.

I'm going to try and have a few tech priest/dominus with at the end of this a Cawl stand in.

For troopers I'm thinking rangers mostly with a squad or two of destroyers.

All this supported by an Onger or two, robots and some fortifications

Before I start going too far in the modeling I was wondering what the consensus on special weapon selection for the rangers would be?

I pieced together an Alpha with arc pistol and goading prod. I'm thinking of aquabuses or calverines but not sure what would be best. Local meta says snipers, so a mix or just straight aquabuses?

Mars is always a good choice, and if you want you can have Cawl, or your own conversion count as. I have not played with or faced Admech in 8th so no idea on the special weapon preference. Back in 7th I ran my 10 rangers without specials and my vanguard with plasma.

More Plasma on the Deathwatch front.

gallery_29932_13153_22727.jpg

Only got back from a holiday a couple of days ago but I managed to get the most of the way through this Captain. Without further adieu:The Herald of Orar:

44047819382_56b12f64bb_c.jpgIMG_20180817_195223

42287347950_f708b0fc4b_c.jpgIMG_20180817_195232 

44047817312_2c12b5fb0f_c.jpgIMG_20180817_195238 

44047817292_039ebda327_c.jpgIMG_20180817_195246

Still a lot to fix up but C&C very welcome

@Trokair - I'm going Mars since that way I can use Cawl to her full effect.  I'm going to work on the general rangers first and since I have the design idea I might as well build one of the aquabuses. I'll get pictures over the weekend.

@TrawlingCleanser - Excellent work there, love the flowing cape.

@TrawlingCleanser - Excellent work there, love the flowing cape.

Thanks dude! I might have to redo it though, the purple wash has gone funny

Excellent work on the new model. Is he a Sons of Orar officer, or from a Sons of Orar successor Chapter?

He's currently a captain as he was in the 32nd millennium before he left with Orar on a crusade into the warp. He's returned recently as the herald of Orar to let the chapter and the imperium know of Orar's returning.

When I get my butt in gear I'll have some more in depth lore on this guy and the chapter in general

This looks like it's worth coming out of lurking for. Will hopefully motivate me to have a fully painted army for 8th!

I, .Torch., Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Adeptus Custodes faction by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate £10 to the B&C.

Limitations:I want the list to be as varied as possible. So I will limit myself to a single selection from each Codex entry (with the exception of standard Custodian Guard Squads).

Aims: I work at sea, and when I am back in the UK I tend to be all over the country. So my aim is to eventually build a small elite army of approx 1750pts that I can easily transport and be able to play pick-up games with friends when we can.

I have ordered my first squad of Custodes and a Feldherr mini plus to put them in.

Hope I am not too late to the party!

So, upon my journeys to my FLGS I noticed what could only be described as an over-abundance of Primaris & a significant lack of Chaos - So my priorities are slightly changed, I still plan on getting my Imperial Soup to a patrol of Son's of the Phoenix with a Captain, a squad of Intercessors with Auto-Boltguns ready as a shock-Infantry force for the new Sister's to fight with soooo, the plan is Son's & Death Guard using Dark Imperium as a base for the time being I think, which gives me more than enough Primaris and a good start for an army not represented in my FLGS 

Either way the Progress on the Kill Team has begun - My Kill Team leader:

VPIX7Ze.jpg

Welcome .Torch. there is still room in this party.  Do you have a colour scheme in mind yet? All gold or something else?

TrawlingCleaner, looking nice.

However I am not a fan of the cape, it feels weird to me that way it hangs of the backpack and general flow of it. Sorry.

Oldest, good start, how did you make those candels?

So, with IRL stuff out of the way I can finally get the ball rolling here!

I, Dragonlover, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Genestealer Cult by the end of the year by building a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will collect and paint a 2000 point Imperial Marine army.

I got the big box at Christmas and built it, and I've painted... five guys? I've played a couple of Index games but they were basically pointless, so yeah, it's functionally a brand new army to me.

Dragonlover

P.S - I'm seeing a lot of "donation as forfeit", which is fine, but have you guys considered chucking a couple of quid in now if you haven't already? We're *so* close to 6000 it's unreal. Have a think, I'd rather not take over this fantastic thread with the conversation but I also couldn't just not say anything.

Dragonlover

Welocme Dragonlover, I am guessing that the new codex is going to come soon considering Tooth and Claw and Wolf Codex went on preorder today.

As for the donation forfeits, I am a little surprised by how many followed suit. I just put a donation down as my forfeit because I could not think of something better and on the logic that if I cannot finish the project then I should not be buying new stuff so donating part of the hobby budget will be both penance and stop me from buying more stuff that then does not get built/painted.

Yeah I'm really hoping the codex drops soon, I'm really intrigued to see where they go with some stuff.

I've decided my opening Patrol detachment will be an Acolyte Iconward with his retinue of Hybrid Acolytes and their Rockgrinder. Didn't fancy painting Neophytes ATM.

Dragonlover

Looking forward to seeing them.

I like the Goliath and used it for the basis of my three Medusa Siege tankes in 30k and cut up another to use parts on a as yet uncompleted macrocarid explorator conversion. I hope you enjoy building yours. 

Oldest, good start, how did you make those candels?

Cheers man!

Cotton wool buds cut down with a paperclip through the middle and greenstuff around the rim to fill the gap, make dripping wax and the flames.

Some more progress, this time an almost built Watch Master.

I have filled the empty holster with a grip as I thought it would be odd for him to have an empty holster when he is not holding any ranged weapons. This way I can also claim that he as some special Bolt weapon in there to represent the Guardian Spear’s ranged profile. The melee weapon should be self evident. I have not but in the halo yet as I suspect I need to do that after the head, and I am debating between the head it comes with or using a different one. Maybe one of the helmets from the Death Watch upgrade frame.

gallery_29932_13153_80491.jpg

Made a start on my first Custodes Detachment. Only finished the bases so far, but I started putting down the base layers down on my Vexilla model.

My bases aren't that orange, it was just super sunny outside.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180820_100853_zpsd7t8c2b5.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180820_142320_zpsvbayr0cp.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180820_161240_zpsxxifuuc9.jpg

Alrighty, I'll have a go at this one at least.

I, Larkyn, vow to face the unknown and will learn and build a Drukhari force by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honor to my fellow participants and I will actually play a game of Age of Sigmar (does this count? Otherwise, I shall donate $50 to the BnC [which I planned on doing anyway, once my Summer schedule ends, and I get my extra day back])

Limiting factor: Nothing from the Haemonculus Covens choices. Even though the 9 talos army is ideal in some metas, I am not much of a fan of the coven models.

My eventual goal is to have around 2,000 points of both Kabal and Wych Cult. Probably 1,250 in Kabal, and 750 in Wyches.

I'm choosing Drukhari because I'm very disenfranchised with power armor as of late. I'm kinda tired of the same old games with all of my marines, so I felt like something new was needed.

I'm going to start off with an Archon, a kabalite squad, and a raider, and we shall go from there!

I wasn't happy with my Son's of the Phoenix and realising that an entire army of hand brushed white power armor would likely burn me out fast - So I took the Cawl using traitor gene seed angle and decided to run with it & so here is the first of the Skin Walkers chapter:

FHgb4IQ.jpg

Pulling from Native American culture for their name referring to a shape shifting creature of stealth and cunning - Officially labelled a Raven Guard chapter, but I am sure you can name a certain other night fighting legion which fits better - They collect bones, pelts and skins of various creatures from their home world to adorn their armor along with grim trophies from campaigns & are known to have no mercy for xenos or traitor alike.

Archived