Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

I have loosely assembled my guardians but my attention has been mostly focused on the contents of kill team at the moment. I have been debating switching to Tyranids or possibly orks as I am working on then at the same time but probably not. I love the look of wraith guard et al so will probably get some progress up soon

TBF, the only reason I haven't chucked the next Legion in for this is because it'd feel a bit dishonest. I mean, I've been a Chaos player for twenty years...

I'm hoping to get my stuff sprayed tomorrow, every time I've tried so far I either get distracted or its been chucking it down.

Dragonlover

I, LokkoRex, Vow to face the unknown and will endeavour to learn about the Solar Auxilia/Tempestus Scions by the end of the year by working a Allied/Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will strive to donate to the Bolter & Chainsword a substantial(for me) sum.

My goals are:

PRIMARY:

-finish a patrol detachment for 40k consisting of a tempestor prime and a tempestus scions squad.

Secondary:

-finish an allied detachment for 30k consisting of a Tank Commander+Leman Russ Strike Squadron(will base these upon the tracked units from the Lord of Skulls) and two Lasrifle Sections.

-transports: scratchbuilt Dracosans and/or Taurox count-as using the Genestealers Goliath.

-some more support elements, like a wyvern sqadron, one or two masters of ordnance manticore squadron, flamer section, more leman russ tanks, some bombards, banewolfs, maybe even a bullgryn squad..

Now, pics:

gallery_60230_9843_22702.jpg

based upon the tempestus scions, with torsos from Anvil, helmets from Puppetswar, and a different muzzle from the kataphron servitors. the sergeant will join up with another squad eventually, since he's running, while the rest of these are holding ground, advancing warily or even shooting.

the beginnings of two troops of Tempestus Scions/Lasrifle Sections.

thematically, these are supposed to be mortal auxilia for my iron warriors, very well armed and armoured, but expendable in the eyes of their masters, the only way to advance in the ranks is if you are the last one standing.

Sorry for being so quiet, been busy irl.

I did get a colour scheme I like, will clean it up as I do more in it.

20180901 012136 907x1209

20180901 012159 907x1209

20180901 012211 907x1209

I'm going to paint up at least a small squad of rangers and a tech priest. I'll have picts of her once I get the scheme better.

20180903 214336 907x1209

One of my friends has an Ad mech army with the units I want to use. So later in the month I want to try out my defense list to see how it handles. I'm not expecting to win, but if I can do a good bit of damage then it works.

Also after reading more of Kingsblade I'd like to see about putting something to represent the mobile repair vehicles they use. From the description these things were decently armed. 

Welcome lokkorex, an interesting start, and quite to commitment by the looks, judging by the extend of the conversions. I’ll look forward to seeing more.

Focslain, nice start, good luck with the test game.

Dragonlover, good to hear. :smile.:

TrawlingCleaner, looging good, I do however agree with Gederas, that mold line on the eagle stands out, it was not as obvious in your previous work in progress post or I am sure someone would have mentioned it. Hopefully it will be easily enough to clean without too much damage to the paint job.

A little progress on my Deathwatch, courtesy of warhammer conquest and some spare bits:

gallery_29932_13153_9713.jpg

I'm so envious of Conquest being UK only, I really should never have left Blighty....

Great kit bashing of those Death Watch, Trokair!

I'm loving the Guard and anvil industry bits Lokkorex!

As for me I'm pottering along with my Thousand Sons - got a Demi Squad painted red - just getting the trim blocked in, which is a royal pain in the ass.....

I'm currently thinking about doing some converted Khenetai blades using Rubric Legs reposed into more dynamic poses --- can't let Grieux steal the show with his awesome conversions!

I'm also thinking of adding some Tzeentch Horrors to represent tuteleries/the aether incursions during the final moments of Prospero.... would be a nice way to boost the army with the start collecting set...

Your first model looks great, .Torch.! Is he an Ancient/Standard Bearer?

He is called Vexillus Praetor, he can take a number of options but effectively is the Adeptus Custodes equivalent of an Ancient. I will be running mine with the Vexilla Magnifica, which gives a bubble of -1 to hit on surrounding Custodes units within 6".

@TrawlingCleaner Looking even better with paint! Can't wait to see him lighting up some heretics. :biggrin.:

@Trokair Great use of the ETB kits and your bits box, adds a lot of variety to the doubled up models.

Really shocked to see this thread has falen on to the third page. Guess I better post an update!

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180904_181242_1_zpsrk110ihn.jpg As you can see I've kind of gone 'all in' with this army. I received a second box of Custodian Guard, some Vertus Praetors and Trajann Valoris for my birthday last week. Now after finally getting around to purchasing the codex I've set out a 1500pt list. My goal was to keep the army model count low as well as the cost of the project. So I've also drafted in some assassins that I never finished in order to round out the list. I'm going to continue with the Learning Vow and paint a patrol detachment and maybe play a few games, but I felt I needed a few more models to convince people that the games might be worth playing. As well as the above, I also have another box of Custodian Guard and 1 Vertus Praetor left over, so I have a fair bit of wiggle room for chopping and changing with my next vow. I know I have probably gotten a bit ahead of myself, but I am due back to sea in the middle of October and this is the only thing that keeps the stress of trying to buy a house before then at bay. :sweat: 

Anyway, enough rambling about how weak I am when resisting gamesworkshops shiny toys.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180903_121143_1_zps4dzzpqq5.jpg

Here is a better shot of all the bases I have done for the above models. Not much different here, just more quantity. I have learned that using less resin medium when dry brushing with the weathering powder improves the results, but I don't think its greatly visible in my pictures. I was worried on the first attempt that it would not stick to the base well enough, but a coat of varnish seems to hold the base together well enough. They have definitely come out better than my Vexilla's base, as I feel he has a bit too much orange on the rocks.

And finally, the stuff I was actually meant to be doing... :wink: 

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/IMG_20180908_145135_zpsronzoxpc.jpg

The only thing I have really learned with these guys is that they are very time consuming. I don't consider myself to be painting at a high level, but these guys are taking me hours! So far I have most of the base coats down. I've been trying to practice blending on the power blades to make them pop out a bit more, and this is something I hope will get easier for me as I go along. I've also invested in some painting handles, which have been helping my clumsy fingers so much over the last few days. Would strongly recommend them for those who haven't tried them, although there are probably cheaper options around, I'm very much a newbie painter and they have helped me a lot.

Lastly, I want to try and bring my new unpainted (boo hiss) shield company to a few games this week. With my list above I will have 8CP, does anyone have any advice on stratagems?  I will be running one of the Dawn Eagle Shield Captains with the Auric Aquilis relic and Superior Creation Warlord trait. I know I am probably going to struggle with some tougher monsters or vehicles but I am hoping I can just wear them down with weight of attacks. I kind of feel like Victor of the Blood Games is mandatory on Trajann and both Shield Captains, but this only leaves me with 2CP left. Any thoughts on this? It seems like its too good not to take on everyone.

Hope everyone is well :biggrin.:

Thank you Lord Commander Eidolon and .Torch, with such static models it helps a lot to change things up a bit.

Some Tzeentchian demons is an appropriate touch, though possible a little toned down I think. After all they did not fully relies what the tuteleries where until it was too late. I have had my eye on some Dark Eldar razorwings, or more recently the AoS Aetherwings as potential familiars.

Keep going Dragonlover. :)

.Torch, you continue to impress. While it might take hours for a single custodies, they do look great and in an army which such a small model count it is really worth spending the time on each one.

Having a planned list to work towards can be helpful, and as you said you still have un-built models to fill in any gaps that you may discover once you have played a few games. As for getting ahead, don’t worry we all work differently and I fully understand wanting to build things as soon as you can. I have already built more of the Deathwatch than I need for a patrol detachment, they will just have to wait a bit. Especially as by the sound of it you will not have a lot of time once at sea and you are moving.

My own meager progress is that I have undercoated the Intercessors and Hellblasters . I have also converted a Chaplain out of the Dark Imperium Flag bearer (as the Deathwatch do not have those) and the unused arms from my Watchmaster conversion. I have not settled on a head yet, in the picture below are three options, the Deathwatch upgrade frame helmet and two spare Greyn Kight heads from my bits box. I kind of like all three but am a little worried that he will not be very Chaplain like without a skull helmet, maybe a Reiver helmet instead?

gallery_29932_13153_53752.jpg

@TrawlingCleaner Looking even better with paint! Can't wait to see him lighting up some heretics. :biggrin.:

Thanks man! I'm very pleased with how he's turned out.

I'm changing armies! I'm not getting along with Space Marines. I've played nearly 10 games now and I'm just not enjoying them which has killed my motivation.

What did I learn:

I learnt that a cool colour scheme and the thought of a narrative isn't enough to keep me going. I need to enjoy playing them too. I found that I just couldn't make any lists work in a way that I found enjoyable like I do with Wolves and Dark Eldar.

My previous vow of a patrol detachment was completed with a Captain with the Teeth of Terra, Chief Librarian Tigurius and a 5 man tactical squad with combi plasma and plasma gun. The Tactical squad wasn't painted up to my usual standard but my motivation had completely failed me and they are tabletop standard

Have you heard about our Lords and Saviours, the Primordial Truth?

I, TrawlingCleaner, vow to face the unknown and redeem my tainted honour. I will expand both my knowledge about the denizens of of the Warp and the Bearers of the Word, by the end of the year by working my way towards a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate 25GBP to the B&C.

44505123012_096afe278d_c.jpg2018-09-08_06-17-36 

My aim with this force is to create a fluffy but mostly competitive WB force. First up is the Dark apostle and I'm pretty pleased with how he came out. Menacing but not over the top

I'll tell you a thing I've learnt painting these Hybrids up: when you've only painted Marines for 20 years, working out where to put the colours on anything else is a pain in the backside! I'm so used to 'armor, trim, weapon casing, eyes' it's nuts!

However, I've got the three I posted earlier done, and the other two plus an Iconward on the table at the moment. Haven't gotten any painting in today though, got distracted by CK2 thanks to the Steam sale...

Dragonlover

Tried assembling some more scions today.

Got halfway through, when i realized i lack a lot of parts to make any more volley guns, Doh!

Need to order some more bitz to make them, in the meantime i'll have to focus my efforts on my prime and more grunts.

Unfortunately, i realized i also lack parts for any vox-casters...

Double-Doh!! :(

I'll tell you a thing I've learnt painting these Hybrids up: when you've only painted Marines for 20 years, working out where to put the colours on anything else is a pain in the backside! I'm so used to 'armor, trim, weapon casing, eyes' it's nuts!

However, I've got the three I posted earlier done, and the other two plus an Iconward on the table at the moment. Haven't gotten any painting in today though, got distracted by CK2 thanks to the Steam sale...

I know the feeling. Often when I start a new project I have to sit down with a test model or two to work out what will work and how to approach painting a particular sort of model.

lokkorex, what a pain, I hope you get your bits soon.

So with the Call of Chaos making its round I suspect quite a few of us will have split attention for a while, good luck to all of you who will fallow the call of the Primordial Gods.

I'm calling these guys done! It's a Patrol detachment of an Iconward and five Acolyte Hybrids. I considered adding a Goliath for them to ride in but the Call of Chaos starts tomorrow and I also just got the Fallout minis game finally, so my focus is being pulled away from the Cult.

I imagine I'll be back with a Battalion and some actual game experience once we get a Codex.

gallery_69371_14105_12131.jpeg

Dragonlover

So I've been quite busy, I got my first troop built and painted:

44628452062_2afee3dfa7_c.jpgIMG_20180914_163950 

I've pretty much gotten the Runes and Script down, all of which are free hand. I'm not 100% on the Astrological shapes on the legs just yet but I'm nearly there

First two test:

44574784201_ca3403e47d_c.jpgIMG_20180909_164725 

Third guy:

44620230171_862006d7f4_c.jpgIMG_20180911_175328 

Fourth guy:

43958989344_44ca1c6b23_c.jpgIMG_20180914_162247 

The heavy weapons guy doesn't have any signs on his legs as I figured I didn't want every guy to have some.

Close up on some of the runes:

43958989384_f8f2b8273c_c.jpgIMG_20180914_162241 

44620230131_7d79299150_c.jpgIMG_20180911_175321 

I also got a lot built so far: 

A sorcerer:

30767901348_8882b4195e_c.jpgIMG_20180912_160751 

20 Cultists:

44569973692_986e9ac3f1_c.jpgIMG_20180911_150754 

2 lots of 10 Khorne Berzerkers:

30767901008_b8f8918df4_c.jpgIMG_20180912_160811 

And 2 Armigers:

43710367135_d457a20cf6_c.jpgIMG_20180911_164237 

I just need to paint a HQ, probably the Dark Apostle, to complete my first vow. C&C on all of this is very welcome!

@TrawlingCleaner - That is some amazing work there. Can't wait for you to tackle that sorcerer.

I've slowed down a bit due to rl being a pain (literally and figuratively), I shifted to work on a set of Aegis walls and I'm going to piece together and paint a Forgeshrine for something different. I'm also working on a tech priestess for the patrol and later I'll expand this to a battalion since I got the rangers. 

Well done Dragonlover, sneaky cultists are so good at ambushing that even in a picture one of them is hiding. :wink:

Good luck with the Call of Chaos and hopefully see you back when the codex finally arrives.

TrawlingCleaner, nice freehand work. That Sorcerer looks promising, as do the cawdor cultists.

The AoS Berserkers and Armiger conversions also look promising. The Forgefiend parts seem to fit surprisingly well on the Armigers.

Focslain, hope your offline life gets better soon.

With the Call of Chaos approaching it's time to 'dust' off Thousand Sons! I'd been busy trying to tidy up my Emperors Children - I've just got a few more bits and details to do to get me up to 50 completed infantry! A big achievement - I think I'll deserve a break from pink for a whilst....

Anyway, here is my Sons Praetor/ Exhalted Sorcerer -- extra bonus points if you can guess who he is......

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ch6l28.jpg

Here is the abortive test model stripped n ready for round 2!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2isz0d5.jpg

Slow progress - but I should get myself my two troop choices done and dusted before moving on to a Contemptor and a vehicle - possible a Xiphon!!

Hey guys sorry for the late join, getting my end of year funds in order.

I, the ergonomic enginseer, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Iron Hands by the end of the year by working on a Battalion Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate $25 AUD to the B&C.

This will be my first legitimate "Battle-forged" force

For my learning vow I will build and paint:

1 Captain

1 Techmarine

3X Tactical squads

Pictures to come shortly.

Welcome the ergonomic enginseer, glade to have you on board.  

A small technicality, I limited the learning vows to the smaller detachments so that people did not end up overreaching at the outset and failing as a result. As such I have recorded your vow as a patrol detachment. Once you have you have finished one HQ and one Tactical squad you can call that vow complete and make a new vow expanding to the battalion you are aiming for.

Kudos for the ambitions in going for a battalion from the outset, I look forward to how they turn out.

Lord Commander Eidolon, no points for me I guess as I have no idea who your Praetor/Sorcerer is supposed to be. I can only remember a few Sons name of the top of my head despite having read several books with them in and I doubt that that is Magnus or Ahriman and I don’t know enough to know whether Amon, Maddox or Hathor would look like that while Heilos is just a rubric Marine.

How do you strip your plastic/resin models?

Archived