Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

Have managed to assemble two five-man squads of Scions, each with a sergeant and a volley gun. Gonna focus on building more grunts and figuring out how to assemble a good tempestor prime until i can get some more vox-casters and volley gun bitz.

Great progress frater!! Thus far I ... well, Iā€™m still working through my last project of Fists to begin this one.

Itā€™s down to a handful of weapons and a few doodads and pieces parts that were on the, ā€˜eh, ill do that laterā€™ pile. No itā€™s later and I am ham handing my way through them while also having to rig a few things to make do with what is now not allocated to other projects

@ Trokair, you should (re)read A Thousand Sons, it's one of the best Heresy books going!

Unfortunately that is not one I own, I borrowed it from the Library a good while back to read. I really need to reread the entire Heresy series again. Why is my list of books to read taller than me?

Ā 

As to stripping paint - get a cheap eBay ultrasonic cleaner. I then use isopropyl alcohol - readily available here in Oz. Should be he sort of stuff you clean computer screens and keyboards - maybe try B&Q? Soak it for about 10mins and the paint starts to peel off. Plastic can sit in forever but it'll send FW resin soft if you leave it too long. I sometimes alcohol mixed with water in the cleaner and let it vibrate the crap off after -- will largely eliminate scrubbing but be careful it'll heat the liquid so don't leave unattended or it might cause issues...

Thank you, Iā€™ll keep that in mind, so far I have only ever striped metal and that always worked fine but acetone eats plastic so canā€™t use that technique for newer models. I once accidently left a base on metal figure, that was a mess.

Ā 

Ā 

Lionofjudah, how are you finding the AT titans in terms of building and painting?

Another Thousand Son character I just fancied building -- helps keep things fun and interesting. Although he'll be a Legion Champ/ Exhalted Sorcerer/Blademaster he can be considered the Rubric/Veteran unit champion until I get a 'Sgt' made

Ā 

http://i68.tinypic.com/15g5zb7.jpg

Ā 

Any ideas who he could be....

I have started to assemble my first unit.

Always liked MKIII armour so using the plastic and some resin iron hands parts I ordered in.

Using resin is a new experience but interesting (been watching a lot of video how to's)

washing the resin for my Captain right now.

Iron Hands early tactical 002

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that our beloved Bolter and Chainsword is back from the ministrations of Brother Argos, who himself needed some ministration from the Order Hospitaller, blessed by the healer, it is time for a rather delayed September update and progress report.

Ā 

Facing the Unknown ā€“ September Report

We are now a little over two months, with a little under three months left to run. Since Last month we have had two completions, congratulation Dragonlover and TrawlingCleaner.

We have also had two new participants, welcome Lokkorex and the ergonomic enginseer.

We have 22 participants so far, 17 of us are still working towards a Patrol Detachment while the other 5 are also still working towards their Vanguard detachment.

There are 13 ā€˜Imperial Armiesā€™ of which 8 are Marine based. Chaos stands at 6, having gained one convert from the imperial ranks. Eldar and Genestealer Cults remain unchanged at 3 and 1 respectively.

Ā 

--- --- ---

Highlights of September:

Lokkorex, started September off with some nicely converted Solar Auxilia with ambition for a whole lot more.

TrawlingCleaner posted a nicely done Librarian, claimed his first completion and promptly abandoned the poor Sons of Orar for the Teaching of Urizen, building in quick succession a Dark Apostle and then a slew of devout cultists, marines and fallen Armigers. I look forward to seeing them all painted.

.Torch. blazed ahead with some stunning bases! Now gild those Custodes.

Given that the B&C was on respite for a while it is not surprising that less has happened this month than last month, though I hope that you have all been getting a little hobby time and we are about to see a whole bunch of updates.

Ok, so over the last month I haven't really worked on my vow and actually lost interest. Right now my main distractions are:

Ā 

Paint the mound of terrain I have.
Work on a Tau battlesuit army
Get my guard fixed to work with my knights (possible campaign armies)

Ā 

I will at least finish the patrol I started, including my custom aquabust, but after that I'm shelving the admech.

To that and since the none of the above projects I believe qualify for a re-vow I'll start taking suggestions on what Sector Mechinacus set to built/paint and donate to my FLGS.

Ā 

If Trokair thinks any of the new distractions would be ok I'll go into more detail. I've played both guard and Tau in the last year, the only learning curve is just a minor shift from what I already do with them. So personally I don't think they fit the theme of the thread.

Don't have a picture yet, but I've gotten the Deathwatch Start Collecting and Kill Team Cassius. Both are primed, and almost ready for painting. Haven't been able to get in a regular game of 40k yet, but they do work on Kill Team.

Keep going Brother Argent, you are doing great.

Ā 

Ā 

Focslain, while you are right that neither your Tau or Guard army sound like they fit the spirit of the event the terrain may.

If the terrain you are working on fits the theme of your skitarii, and especially if it is one of the terrain features with a data sheet and rules that compliments the army then I could see that as allowable. I had not considered terrain, with or without rules, to be part of someones project as the possibility just had not occurred to me, but now that I think about it it could be a perfectly valid exploration and learning about an army.

Ā 

I look forward to seeing you finish the patrol detachment, and thank you for sticking with it even if your interest now lies elsewhere.

Ā 

I should also add that you cannot fail the even if all you done for the event is start or complete a Learning Vow. As such your forfeit is not due, though if you feel that you have failed the spirit by not reaching the end goal and want to do your forfeit then that is up to you.

Ā 

Ā 

Gederas, sounds like you have a good foundation there and enjoying Kill Team as well.

Right, now that I have done the report and caught up with the thread a little update on my own project.

So in the three or four week since I left for my holiday and then the B&C own rest I have done more then I had hoped and less then I would have liked. For starters I have assembled 10 more Revivers, all with bolters as I just really liked the look.

gallery_29932_13153_81593.jpg

I have also played two 1500p games, with a few proxies the list for both games was 1 Watch Master, 2 Captains, 3 squads of Intercessor with 5 Hellblasters in each and 15 revivers (including the newly built ones above).

First game was against Knights, I lost that one badly. I did somewhere around 34 wounds to the knights in total, but due to positioning issues and play mistakes those wounds where spread around rather than focused and no knights died, I defiantly need some antitank. I was wiped of the table round 4 (I think). I was doing ok on objectives for a while but that wonā€™t help if they are all dead. For only my third game of 8th and first game with Deathwatch I thought I did alright.

The second game as against the same opponent using the same list, this time against harlequins. I was wiped of the table on bottom of turn 6. If the game had ended on turn 5 I would have won by two or three victory points but the dice dictated that there would be a turn 6 and my three revivers could not run away far enough. The last one died touching the table edge of my opponentā€™s deployment zone as all the harlequins had rushed forward for the first three turns into my deployment zone and barley made it back into his to kill the revivers

The fact that Deathwatch do not have a mission tactic against transports or a stratagem to make wounding transports easier (unlike every other type of units) really hurt. I managed to bring all three transports to 1 or 2 wounds by the end of turn one but could not kill a single one of them so on turn two they were in my midst with their deadly cargo. If my opponent had not seized I might have fared better as I could have slowed some of the harlequins and been better able to focus on one thread at a time instead of having them all in my deployment zone turn two. The revivers ariving in my turn two really helped but it was too little too late.

Overall both games where a good learning experience and I definitely need some long range anti-tank weapons.

I have also made a little progress on paining the first Intercessor squad, hope to have some pictures of them by early next week.

Gederas, sounds like you have a good foundation there and enjoying Kill Team as well.

Mhmm. I actually have enough right now to make a Battallion (3 HQs, 2/3 Troops [depending on how I split the 20 marines] and an Elite), but I'll stick to the Patrol for now.

Ā 

The real question is if I do the patrol from the Start Collecting or Kill Team Cassius :laugh.:

Ā 

Also: Frag Cannons and Infernus Heavy Bolters are DIRTY in Kill Team. I love it :lol:

Mhmm. I actually have enough right now to make a Battallion (3 HQs, 2/3 Troops [depending on how I split the 20 marines] and an Elite), but I'll stick to the Patrol for now.

You can always expand the Patrol detachment to a battalion in your second vow. That is what I am intending to do with my Deathwatch project.

finally got the bitz i ordered mid-september during the forum downtime, so got the grenades i need and i think enough bitz to assemble the two lasrifle sections i'm looking at for 30k, but i still need more volley guns for full-sized scions squads.

Ā 

also asked a friend if he's up for a small game after our exams, so i got the goal to finish a prime and two squads of five scions, each with two volley guns and a vox-caster+sergeant. think i'll try and create an opposing force from my iron warriors, and then we'll take turns trying out the scions and the iron warriors.

hopefully that should get me some ideas about what to get in the future for them!

Ā 

Focslain, while you are right that neither your Tau or Guard army sound like they fit the spirit of the event the terrain may.

If the terrain you are working on fits the theme of your skitarii, and especially if it is one of the terrain features with a data sheet and rules that compliments the army then I could see that as allowable. I had not considered terrain, with or without rules, to be part of someones project as the possibility just had not occurred to me, but now that I think about it it could be a perfectly valid exploration and learning about an army.

Ā 

I look forward to seeing you finish the patrol detachment, and thank you for sticking with it even if your interest now lies elsewhere.

Ā 

I should also add that you cannot fail the even if all you done for the event is start or complete a Learning Vow. As such your forfeit is not due, though if you feel that you have failed the spirit by not reaching the end goal and want to do your forfeit then that is up to you.

Ā 

There are a few defensive pieces in my terrain pile. I want to get them done for a special game my group is doing in December. It includes a Firestorm Redoubt, another Aegis line and a Bastion, plus I still want to paint the forgeshrine even if I have no intention of using it via rules.

Ā 

I'll see about doing some more work tonight as I'm going to be busy over the next few weekends.

Ā 

After I finish the models I'll see how I feel, worst case I have until mid-december to final call this or not.

You can always expand the Patrol detachment to a battalion in your second vow. That is what I am intending to do with my Deathwatch project.

Yeah, I know that. But the thing is, I'm not sure if I want to do Kill Team Cassius+Artemis for the Patrol, or do the Start collecting.

Ā 

GAH! This is so difficult :lol:

Good luck with your exams Lokkorex.

Ā 

Gederas, I think I would do the Start Collecting stuff first, Kill Team Cassius has a lot of unique features which would make for the more interesting painting experience, and as such I would leave them as a reward. I always try to leave something interesting to paint for the end or as a diversion for when the normal models get tedious from repetition.

Well it sucks that we were down but so glad to have everyone back good news is the 15th grand battiolion of the iron warriors has been coming along quite well canā€™t wait to post some pictures later in the week

Gederas, I think I would do the Start Collecting stuff first, Kill Team Cassius has a lot of unique features which would make for the more interesting painting experience, and as such I would leave them as a reward. I always try to leave something interesting to paint for the end or as a diversion for when the normal models get tedious from repetition.

Hmm.... Good point. Plus, I just found where the Artemis from that disappeared to :lol: (for some reason, he managed to end up in Magnus' box?)

Glad the site is back up and this thread has started moving again!

Ā 

I'll skip the waffle this time around and just pop up some pictures. I finished my Patrol Vow, and in a moment of madness decided to enter a small board into Armies on Parade. Didn't get a medal this year, but it was a great day of hobby and I walked away with a 'Best Painted' certificate in the 40k category. Needless to say I was pretty surprised due to the standards of some of the other armies, but i can't complain! It was a nice casual competition, and I met a few cool people who I'm hoping to arrange some games with when I return home next year. I haven't been into a Gamesworkshop store for an event in years, but I will definitely be returning next year to try and earn myself a medal.

Ā 

Guess I'm not great at skipping the waffle part....

Ā 

Heres some picture of my finished patrol and their board:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/Custodes1_zpsxhwg8ggh.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/Custodes3_zpsmdgzgcc6.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/Custodes2%20-%20Copy_zpsx49vuz36.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/torch10/Custodes4%20-%20Copy_zpsgrahyufj.jpg

At the back of my board you can just about make out a Vindicaire Assassin I have added alongside my Shield Captain, this will probably be the start of my next detachment, although I will have to finish those guys off when I get back from sea. Cheers for all the motivation from the thread, especially Trokair for starting it up. Not normally motivated to enter things like Armies on Parade, but I am glad I did!

Ā 

.Torch.Ā 

Archived