Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

Facing the Unknown – October Report

Well this one is going to be brief as all in all it has been an eventful uneventful month. That is to say some of us had some great progress in one way or another but that collectively not much has happened.

Ah well now we are in November and time is running out so those of us, myself included, who work best with a deadline. Less than two months until the end of the event.

Highlights for me where .Torch.’s brilliantly painted Custodes, Gederas’s Deathwatch Lieutenants Sergeants, another stunning Rubric from Lord Commander Eidolon and the AT Warhound finally coming out (ok that last one is more a highlight for me but I am so excited to finally have them!).

We have also seen good building and conversion progress from The Ergonomic Enginseer, Lokkorex, who also added a battle report, and Brother Argent. Looking forward to seeing some paint on them. :smile.:

--- --- ---

I’ll be posting a progress report this weekend. For real this time! Life has gotten extremely hectic the last few months, but I’m finally finished building my plaguecaster and first squad of plague marines. Pics either tonight or tomorrow morning... hopefully

I’ll be posting a progress report this weekend. For real this time! Life has gotten extremely hectic the last few months, but I’m finally finished building my plaguecaster and first squad of plague marines. Pics either tonight or tomorrow morning... hopefully

I know that feeling. I've had very little time to work on my Call of Chaos vows and this. It's frigging annoying :lol:

Shoo... I’ve not forgotten but finished painting and selling my olde Heresy imperial fists army. Been cleansing my 40k palate with some Flames of War and have been gathering some more minis for my dkok.

I just placed an order for bases for my Facing the Unknown’s vow, I ordered a selection of DragonForge Designs Urban rubble series-10 32mm, 6 50mm, 1 55mm and 2 100mm.

I’m super stoked to get this true scale army on the go and plan on starting the build this coming Monday.

Ok, a couple days later than Id planned, but heres my update. My plaguecaster and first plague marine squad

med_gallery_71758_14318_99737.jpg

And a few close ups

med_gallery_71758_14318_97082.jpg

med_gallery_71758_14318_162085.jpg

med_gallery_71758_14318_64815.jpg

I see a couple little things that need some fixing up, but aside from that these guys should be getting primed after work today

Thank you Bjorn

I present my Venerable Dreadnought with twin Lascannons and a Missile Launcher.

Now I just need to paint him.

gallery_29932_13153_69245.jpg

gallery_29932_13153_32667.jpg

The Lascannons are from the centurions, quite a bit of chopping to make them line up. What I had not considered is that the Warhound native weapons are quite flat, as such they do not get in the way of the legs. The first attempt with the lascannons did not work as the cables reached to far down. I ended up cutting out the arm and attaching the Lascannons directly to the shoulder joint. Only upside to this is that I could drill into the remains of the arms and embed some magnets.

The missile pod is from the Droppod, unfortunately I don’t have a second in my bits box so the second dread will have to be armed differently. So as to match the look of the other side I spied the arm on this side and just embedded magnets in the weapon and shoulder.

Talking of the second Warhound/Dread in the box. Here he is, built aside from weapons. Despite playing around with a bunch of options and blue tack I have not found a close combat arm that I was happy with. I will come back to him once I have figured it out and add him to a later vow, maybe.

gallery_29932_13153_35410.jpg

Thank you.

At the moment is is just what weapon I can get hold of first, another missile pod or parts for a suitable close combat conversion as the options I have tried so far just did not sit right with me. 

From a army perspective a fire suport is porbably better as I am still light on Anti-Tank/Monster.

Well it has been a rather productive weekend; I finished the final touches on my Patrol Detachment.

Group shot:

gallery_29932_13153_77542.jpg

The Squad

gallery_29932_13153_48792.jpg

gallery_29932_13153_19762.jpg

The Captain

gallery_29932_13153_52079.jpg

gallery_29932_13153_52438.jpg

Given how long it has taken me to get to this point I am not sure I will make it but I will stick to my original plan and expand to a Battalion.

Growth Vow:

I, Trokair, Vow to face the unknown and will learn more about the Deathwatch by the end of the year by expanding my completed Patrol Detachment to a Battalion Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate

Damn, he looks intimidating. Well done.

I was going for intimidating. Despite having extreme skills at stealth, he's often chosen by the Watch Captains for missions where Stealth is optional. Because he has a habit of leaving a lot of bodies in his wake.

Especially when it comes to Genestealer Cultists and T'au-affiliated humans. One might say he has a particular distaste for humans who betray the Imperium....

Looking good Tolkair. 

Interested in seeing the scheme on the dreadnaught. 

I hope to have a work in progress shot by the weekend. As it is machine I started with a Leadbelcher base so it is not going to be as black as the Marines but I hope I can tie it in well enough for it to not stand out to much.

Gederas, He looks so good, way better than I could ever paint. Good for you. Now where to hide from the scary Night Lord man?

Gederas, He looks so good, way better than I could ever paint. Good for you. Now where to hide from the scary Night Lord man?

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

However, I don't think he'll be a part of my Learning Vow. I'm starting small with that, as it'll be a single squad and Artemis. He may show up in the completed parts of the Growth Vow though.

As promised, quick work in progress shot.

gallery_29932_13153_41142.jpg

Awesome work, can you take a picture of one of your Marines next to him to give an idea of scale?

I'm at work now, so internet is limited. But I am still painting Custodes! I have 6 models with me in varying stages, if I can paint at sea you guys can get your detachments finished!

One slight disaster is I forgot my Drakenhof Nightshade, but I am hoping for a supply drop in the next port!

Awesome work, can you take a picture of one of your Marines next to him to give an idea of scale?

I'm at work now, so internet is limited. But I am still painting Custodes! I have 6 models with me in varying stages, if I can paint at sea you guys can get your detachments finished!

One slight disaster is I forgot my Drakenhof Nightshade, but I am hoping for a supply drop in the next port!

Ask and you shall receive. I don’t have a build normal Dreadnought to hand but I did have a Forgeworld Contemptor that I never got far with as well as the Sergeant from the Intercessor squad I finished not too long ago. The Contemptor and the Dreadhounds are on 60mm bases (the Warhound came with 80mm, hence why the feet are so close to the edge), the Marine on 32mm. I tried to line up the midpoint of the biases.

gallery_29932_13153_108031.jpg

Good luck with finishing the Custodes at Sea.

Archived