Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

I've started basecoating my scions, and I'm waiting for a bunch of bitz orders containing ogryns, hot-shot lasguns and enough volley guns to last me until new years at least.

Also, I've started gathering stuff to make two other "mortal" armies, one based on the necromunda models, the other mixing genestealer neophytes with skitarii, so I can have armies I can use in gw stores(no third-party bits)

Awesome work, can you take a picture of one of your Marines next to him to give an idea of scale?

I'm at work now, so internet is limited. But I am still painting Custodes! I have 6 models with me in varying stages, if I can paint at sea you guys can get your detachments finished!

One slight disaster is I forgot my Drakenhof Nightshade, but I am hoping for a supply drop in the next port!

Ask and you shall receive. I don’t have a build normal Dreadnought to hand but I did have a Forgeworld Contemptor that I never got far with as well as the Sergeant from the Intercessor squad I finished not too long ago. The Contemptor and the Dreadhounds are on 60mm bases (the Warhound came with 80mm, hence why the feet are so close to the edge), the Marine on 32mm. I tried to line up the midpoint of the biases.

gallery_29932_13153_108031.jpg

Good luck with finishing the Custodes at Sea.

now...

I have this idea in my head. but maybe for something else.....

thank you kind sir.

Awesome work, can you take a picture of one of your Marines next to him to give an idea of scale?

I'm at work now, so internet is limited. But I am still painting Custodes! I have 6 models with me in varying stages, if I can paint at sea you guys can get your detachments finished!

One slight disaster is I forgot my Drakenhof Nightshade, but I am hoping for a supply drop in the next port!

Ask and you shall receive. I don’t have a build normal Dreadnought to hand but I did have a Forgeworld Contemptor that I never got far with as well as the Sergeant from the Intercessor squad I finished not too long ago. The Contemptor and the Dreadhounds are on 60mm bases (the Warhound came with 80mm, hence why the feet are so close to the edge), the Marine on 32mm. I tried to line up the midpoint of the biases.gallery_29932_13153_108031.jpg

Good luck with finishing the Custodes at Sea.

now...

thank you kind sir.

It would be quite cool seeing the AT warhound custodified, maybe with parts from the custodes jetbikes?

Was it something like that you had in mind? :)

I've started basecoating my scions, and I'm waiting for a bunch of bitz orders containing ogryns, hot-shot lasguns and enough volley guns to last me until new years at least.

Also, I've started gathering stuff to make two other "mortal" armies, one based on the necromunda models, the other mixing genestealer neophytes with skitarii, so I can have armies I can use in gw stores(no third-party bits)

I have seen a few Skitarii and GSC combination and they tend to work well. I have even toyed with the idea for my 30k thralls, so best of luck and do share when you get that far.

Which Necromunda kits where you thinking of using?

now...

thank you kind sir.

It would be quite cool seeing the AT warhound custodified, maybe with parts from the custodes jetbikes?

Was it something like that you had in mind? :smile.:

I have actually been thinking of converting an AT Reaver Titan to be a Telemon. I think they will be about the right size.

I want to use the escher and goliath kits, but give 'em all their respective gasmask heads. Then I want to use the imperialis militia rules for them, and use the chem-fuelled and gene-forged traits, seems kinda fitting for shock cannon fodder working for the IW. I imagine my IW raided the underhives on a hive world, gave them some basic inferior copies of the gene-seed implants, pumped them full of chems, cram them into a couple of gorgon transports and send them off into the enemies jaws!

For the other army I'm thinking neophyte torsos and legs, with skitarii vanguard helmets and skitarii rangers arms and rifles. Partly because it would look cool, partly so I won't feel guilty playing in the gw store again. Also, I want to use the neophyte heavy weapon torsos for a flamer section.

For my ogryn/charonite unit, I'm gonna use the gasmask heads with eye implants and meganob killsaws and power klaws, but with dreadnought claws instead of the orkish ones!

Sounds like an interesting project.

I played a game tonight using the Dreadhoud, and having decent antitank/monster helped a lot. I was playing in a coop with Space Wolfs (with a Knight) against a larger Tyranid Army.

he nids won but it was hard fought and a bit of better luck here or there could have easily swung it. The Dreadhound was my only survivor but it took out a Flyrant, and finished off a half health Swarmlord, a half health giant tunneling thing (can’t remember its name) and a wounded Carnifex. Oh and two gaunts in combat at the bottom of turn 5.

I need to have a another rummage in my bits box to see f I can finish the other one.

I played a game tonight using the Dreadhoud, and having decent antitank/monster helped a lot. I was playing in a coop with Space Wolfs (with a Knight) against a larger Tyranid Army.

he nids won but it was hard fought and a bit of better luck here or there could have easily swung it. The Dreadhound was my only survivor but it took out a Flyrant, and finished off a half health Swarmlord, a half health giant tunneling thing (can’t remember its name) and a wounded Carnifex. Oh and two gaunts in combat at the bottom of turn 5.

I need to have a another rummage in my bits box to see f I can finish the other one.

Nice work, as for the tunneling beast it was most likely a Trygon (could have been a Mawloc, but why). Shooty dreads are pretty good if they are ignored and a decent firebase over all.

Facing the Unknown – November Report

Another month has come and gone all too fast, and now there is less than a month until the end of the year!

Much like October November was a bit of a slow month overall, that said, there was some steady progress and interesting conversions, and plans made for more conversions.

Let make December a good month and get our vows finished! Full steam ahead.

--- --- ---

Well we are only about 3 and a bit weeks from the end of the year, so time is running away from us.

I have made some progress.

gallery_29932_13153_112627.jpg

The two intercessor and the librarian is the minimum I need to make my vow so I have been focusing on them but I would like to get the Hellblasters and Watchmaster done as well. I also need ot finish the Dreadhound.

I have also built some more as a break from painting.

First a Captain with powers word and Auto Bolt Rifle.

gallery_29932_13153_31542.jpg

Next a Apothecary

gallery_29932_13153_14408.jpg

Three bolt Aggressors and three flame Aggressors

gallery_29932_13153_110354.jpg

Lastly three bolt and three plasma Inceptor

gallery_29932_13153_77214.jpg

I hereby declare my Emergency Vow complete.

Took me nearly two months from start to finish, much longer than I had intended, but I did get him build quickly and have used him in a few games to great success.

Now I really wand to do the other one but I need to finish the other Vow first.

First of a general shot

gallery_29932_13153_31072.jpg

All around

gallery_29932_13153_133898.jpg

Magnets! and a close up of the fancy leg plate.

gallery_29932_13153_61112.jpg

Side shot of head and body.

gallery_29932_13153_139638.jpg

Slightly out of focus top down view.

gallery_29932_13153_46616.jpg

So I pulled my paints again, I wanted to see about getting my small squad of rangers, a tech priestess and a set of aegis walls done before the end of the year. Mostly due to my planned project for the Boxxing Day will be an Arquebus gunner.

I got a few more details on the infantry, I need to get some paint for the walls.

Sgt

ranger1

For the tech priestess in my force I'm looking at going for a Felinoid look via paint. All of them are from the Wargame Exclusive line, so the 'fur' will give them a bit more cover without needing conversion.

TPES

Still need to name her, but that will come in time.

I assume you mean Arquebus, but I would love to see the Skitarii Aqua-bus, I assume it is some form of super soaker ;)  

Good to see more progress. I take it from your comment that you are not sculpting the fur but only painting it, what is your technique for that?

I assume you mean Arquebus, but I would love to see the Skitarii Aqua-bus, I assume it is some form of super soaker :wink:

Good to see more progress. I take it from your comment that you are not sculpting the fur but only painting it, what is your technique for that?

Yeah, edited my post with the correct spelling.

As for the painted fur, it's the same as flesh, but you just paint in the pattern. The one here I'm going for a tiger pattern, just need to paint in the stripes in a few parts that I can see. Right now I'm using Jarako Orange and a center stripe of White Scar.

For my planned 'Cawl' stand-in I don't know what pattern I'll do, though I'd like to do another priestess in a calico pattern. 

So the rangers are pretty much done, still got a few more details on the priestess to finish. I'll be adding two arquebuses for the boxxing challenge, one standard issue the other of a more heretical design.

tech guard squad1

Sorry for the poor image quality, I have to find a better way to take these.

So the rangers are pretty much done, still got a few more details on the priestess to finish. I'll be adding two arquebuses for the boxxing challenge, one standard issue the other of a more heretical design.

Looking forward to the conversion.

I am thinking of doing the boxing day challenge as well, just have not figured out what model I want o build/convert and if I even will have the time to finish painting it.

I've managed to basecoat everything, but i've got two exams the coming week, so they take precedence. I've assembled the bodies of my first three ogryns but i lack any right arms, so i have to wait with them until i can get my hands on another box of 'em. I'll propably finish my first vow before the new year, but anything else is kinda up in the air.

I think I'll likely only get that patrol done. As of right now I'm a little burnt out from Call of Chaos.

But I'll get the 5 Space Marine Heroes I got turned into Deathwatch painted, along with the LC Blackshield who can be a Watch Captain as well, unless I paint up the other Artemis :lol:

Good job on the Skitarii.

Thanks, after this when I get back to them I have to figure out the scheme for the other robots of the army.

12 Days to go so good luck to all of you and hope to see some just in time completions in the coming weeks and a bit.

I got side tracked by a gift of a stormhark interceptor, I'll get back on the priestess and the walls are almost done.

paint in progress update:

gallery_60230_9843_353529.jpg

close up of my commander:

gallery_60230_9843_66623.jpg

thinking i'm gonna wash it all, then some touch ups and then they'll be done. they're just cannon fodder after all, granted well equipped and trained, but still cannon fodder.

that yellow is in essence one big target marker for the enemy saying "shoot us! shoot us! ignore the gunmetal astartes and shoot us instead!"

So now that this is mostly built:

interceptor

I can get back to work on a few more rangers for the unboxing day. I believe the modifications made for a good replacement. I'm going to mod the ominspec to a targeter and hover drone to hold the weapon.

arquabus

I also designed a way to tell the squads apart by writing their designations on their coats, hopefully I'll remember the pen to do this over the holiday. 

Greetings everybody and a pre-emptive merry Christmas to everyone.

My apologies to Trokair for my Absence but I’m back now from working interstate.

While I was away, I have finished my painting my Captain and my first Tactical squad. It was challenging at times but also fun researching and choosing the parts and paints to use.

Time has regrettably run away from me but I still have another Tactical squad assembled ready to paint and a squad of medusan immortals to use as a Veteran squad I will start next year.

Iron Hands   Captain And Tactical Squad

My regrettably the only thing worse then my painting is my ability to take photos. hopefully both will improve with practice.  

Archived