Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

Nice work with AoP Torch! It's great to get involved! I'm sure when you've get a medal soon, I think 'small' forces don't do as well as larger ones. I got a bronze with a small 20man force a few years ago, I decided to take a punt again this year with my Emperor's Children this year, hopefully the 70plus models it stands at now has made a difference!! Still haven't found out the result!

My time hasn't been idle with the server down - although I've decided to try finish off a lot of my half done Emperors Children in order to bring squads upto strength.

However I've done a little work on my Thousand Sons - I've pretty much got 5 done, just a few finishing touches to go...

Here's the 2nd member

http://i65.tinypic.com/14ke4h3.jpg

Your Custodes are well done.

Cheers!

@Lord Commander Eidolon

It was a good day of hobby. Will definitely be doing it again next year!

Was surprised how long the batteries in my eBay tealights lasted for my explosion markers. 

Congratulation .Torch. both on finishing your Learning Vow and on your Armies on Parade success. There may not be many Custodies on your board, but they are gorgeous.

I did not spot the Assassin until you pointed him out, stealthy indeed.

Hung in there TheBlackPumpkin, and I am sure that, if you need any advice, Lord Commander Eidolon knows everything about Fulgrims Children.

As promised over the weekend update on my Intercessors, light wasn’t in my favour but I hope they are clear enough.

gallery_29932_13153_89092.jpg

Time for an update from me.

Have not made to much progress been off preparing for my first marathon and now returning my focus back here.

My first tactical squad has been undercoated and now trying out a paint scheme on some test models and the parts I was waiting on for my Captain arrived.

My dry fit for my Captain:

IMAG0079b

Slowly clipping shaving and magnetizing parts.

Sorry for the potato quality of image

Well it is time for an Emergency Vow!

I suspected that my army might struggle with anti tank but I had hoped to get around it with extra plasma and the Primaris Tank and Dread (which I have yet to build). However after my two games towards the end of last month I have concluded I need something much more dedicated.

As such I have decided to add a Venerable Dreadnought with Lascannons, and potentially a second later.

I am hoping to have another game or two sometime next month so I do need to get it build soon, I am also rather exited at the prospect of the conversion as I have wanted to do something with this model since I saw spoilers earlier this year.

I give you the starting point of the Dreadnought!

gallery_29932_13153_69404.jpg

I like the idea of Dreadnought but I have never been keen on the standard boxnought, so when I saw these for the first time the conversion potential just jumped out at me. I have been looking forward to gettig my hands on these for a long time so really want to start. Wish me luck.

Well it is time for an Emergency Vow!

I suspected that my army might struggle with anti tank but I had hoped to get around it with extra plasma and the Primaris Tank and Dread (which I have yet to build). However after my two games towards the end of last month I have concluded I need something much more dedicated.

As such I have decided to add a Venerable Dreadnought with Lascannons, and potentially a second later.

I am hoping to have another game or two sometime next month so I do need to get it build soon, I am also rather exited at the prospect of the conversion as I have wanted to do something with this model since I saw spoilers earlier this year.

I give you the starting point of the Dreadnought!

gallery_29932_13153_69404.jpg

I like the idea of Dreadnought but I have never been keen on the standard boxnought, so when I saw these for the first time the conversion potential just jumped out at me. I have been looking forward to gettig my hands on these for a long time so really want to start. Wish me luck.

This should look good and a las/mis ven dread is a decent choice for marine AT.

Rogue Trader-styled Dreadnoughts?

Interesting.....

Depending on which of the many weird dreadnought/robot designs from the early years you are referring to. The Space Crusade ones certainly bear some similarities. There is certainly a lot of shared inspiration and cross pollination of design of the early stuff and what we have grown used to.

I just like the look of the Warhounds, so getting to tinker with them at affordable prices is nice. I also bought one Reaver for the same reason. However from size a comparison pictures the Reaver is just too large to work as a normal dreadnought, while the Warhound is a little taller but less bulky so should work out fine. If I ever work out a good unit to use a Reaver conversion count as I will do so.

This should look good and a las/mis ven dread is a decent choice for marine AT.

I haven’t worked out whether I want to go DCW or Missiles or how to convert either, will see what I can find in my bits box to help inspiration along. I have a plan for the Lascannons, and if it does not work I can fall back on the trubo laser from the box, that should be close enough.

Rogue Trader-styled Dreadnoughts?

Interesting.....

Depending on which of the many weird dreadnought/robot designs from the early years you are referring to. The Space Crusade ones certainly bear some similarities. There is certainly a lot of shared inspiration and cross pollination of design of the early stuff and what we have grown used to.

I am indeed referring to the Space Crusade dreadnoughts. They look like Metal Gear REX :lol:

I am indeed referring to the Space Crusade dreadnoughts. They look like Metal Gear REX :lol:

Well said. I should transplant a Hammerhead gunship's railgun onto an Imperial Knight to create my own Metal Gear Rex, justifying this by stating the Metal Gear Solid game proves railguns are based on a human design, and my army is simply reclaiming that which the foul xenos stole. (I should also attach a Stormtalon gunship's wings and engines to a Knight Errant, to create my own Metal Gear Ray.)

I am indeed referring to the Space Crusade dreadnoughts. They look like Metal Gear REX :laugh.:

Well said. I should transplant a Hammerhead gunship's railgun onto an Imperial Knight to create my own Metal Gear Rex, justifying this by stating the Metal Gear Solid game proves railguns are based on a human design, and my army is simply reclaiming that which the foul xenos stole. (I should also attach a Stormtalon gunship's wings and engines to a Knight Errant, to create my own Metal Gear Ray.)

You mean like this:

Styrix

First two Deathwatch members done.... Aside from the bases, which are probably going to have to be ordered, since the Sector Mechanicus Industrial Bases I ordered with through my FLGS have been stuck in the Warp for about.... Three months now? :laugh.:

I think the Necromunda bases will fit right in with my planned idea for these guys, being on industrial bases to emulate being on a Space Hulk, Imperial world and/or the Watch Fortress. Plus, I dunno, Deathwatch feel the most 'fitting' Marine sub-group to be on those bases, y'know?

vwQX4FN.jpg

Edit: Someone I messed up the image tag....

Also, I know the Sergeant isn't WYSIWYG. But it just looked to cool to NOT do :lol:

Your Deathwatch members look promising.

I am indeed referring to the Space Crusade dreadnoughts. They look like Metal Gear REX :laugh.:

You mean like this:

A good start. Add missile launchers to his back (as noted here, Rex has Hellfire missile launchers), drill out the wolf's head's nostrils and claim they're muzzles for a twin heavy bolter (Rex has twin chain guns), replace the meltagun at the armpit with a lascannon (a groin-mounted lascannon, like Rex's, will make the Knight the butt of endless jokes), claim the tilting plate (shield) on its right shoulder is an auspex array, and we're good.

Your Deathwatch members look promising.

You mean like this:

A good start. Add missile launchers to his back (as noted here, Rex has Hellfire missile launchers), drill out the wolf's head's nostrils and claim they're muzzles for a twin heavy bolter (Rex has twin chain guns), replace the meltagun at the armpit with a lascannon (a groin-mounted lascannon, like Rex's, will make the Knight the butt of endless jokes), claim the tilting plate (shield) on its right shoulder is an auspex array, and we're good.

It's a stryix, though the carapace does have a magnet so i could arm it. And that's not a meltagun, it's a wraithcannon (gav-cannon).

On the rex, you could just get this, cheaper then a knight and about the same size (8.5 in tall). Was thinking of using it for an Onagar, but it's too big.

On the rex, you could just get this, cheaper then a knight and about the same size (8.5 in tall). Was thinking of using it for an Onagar, but it's too big.

Looks Tau. I'll have to spend a lot of time adding AdMech symbols to the frame, to reduce the chance Rex will become a victim of "friendly fire."

Using an Adeptus Titanicus Warhound model as a Space Marine Dreadnought? Good idea. It's aesthetically superior to what's currently available, with the notable exception of the Contemptor.

Maybe it's because I only started during 3rd edition, but I have so much love for the box dreadnoughts. First vehicle I ever painted, I was so sad when it got nuked first turn on its debut.

Using an Adeptus Titanicus Warhound model as a Space Marine Dreadnought? Good idea. It's aesthetically superior to what's currently available, with the notable exception of the Contemptor.

Maybe it's because I only started during 3rd edition, but I have so much love for the box dreadnoughts. First vehicle I ever painted, I was so sad when it got nuked first turn on its debut.

I like the idea of Dreadnoughts, and they look great in the artwork, but I always fealt a little disapointed with the metal and plastic mark IV/V models. They just feel to clunky.

I think I have found my missile launcher, from the drop pod. It look about the right size, so it is just a matter of makig the arm connect up.

I will no doubt steal your idea to use the AT warhound as a base for a marine dreadnought some time in the future, Trokair!

GREAT NEWS!

Had my first two games of 8th edition( ever! ) with a friend from school during monday, with my tempestus scions facing off against a force of my Iron Warriors using the space marine rules.

The AM had two scions squads with two volley guns each, a vox-caster and a sergeant with chainsword and plasma pistol, as well as a tempestor prime with chainsword and pointy stick.

The IW had two 5-man tactical squads, each with a heavy bolter and sergeant with power weapon, one had a maul, the other an axe, as well as a lieutenant with eviscerator. (Didn't realise that wasn't allowed until the store clerk told me)

Gonna post some pics tomorrow, as well as a battle report if i'm allowed to?

What i took from the game is that i definitely need more volley guns, some heavy weapons and something to counter-charge against the enemies melee units, so i'm thinking a unit of bullgryns, taurox and a squadron of leman russ tanks, then a squadron of wyverns with a master of ordnance!

Feel free, the more the merrier. The AT Warhound is a great kit, and incredibly detailed. The legs are a bit static, but you can interchange them left and right, and I am sure with some cutting and greenstuff skills they can be made to go a lot further than the base options.

Do post your battle report and pictures. Sharing your learning experience is all part of the event.

Bullgryns are a good addition, with T5 and 2+ or 4++ they can also tank quite well for the more fragile pure strain humans.

for the game i picked two forces of 14 Power Points, basically since that used almost all my assembled Scions and i managed to assemble a neat opposing force from my Iron Warriors to the same points limit.

first game:

gallery_60230_14990_556007.jpg

I played Scions, my friend played Marines, we had the fortune to be able to play at the GW store in the capital.

gallery_60230_14990_243930.jpg

My friend won the roll for the first turn, so he moved forwards to get within bolter range.

gallery_60230_14990_587251.jpg

Unfortunately for him, scions shooting turned out to be quite devastating, something which would continue durig our matches...

Iron Warriors inflicted some casualties of their own though on my left Scions squad.

the next turn sees the scions annihilate the closest tactical squad, leaving only the lieutenant to carry the forlorn hope

gallery_60230_14990_16652.jpg

The lieutenant then successfully manages to charge through the woods, only to apparently trip on a root or something, miss with all his attacks, and a pair of bayonets into his back, being down to half his wounds.

gallery_60230_14990_120272.jpg

The remaining tactical squad, or rather the remaining sergeant and heavy bolter toting marine, tries to shoot the other scions squad to no effect, while the lieutenant gets himself up and manages to kill one Scion.

gallery_60230_14990_118499.jpg

the next turn sees the tactical squad finally kill something, a scion from my right squad!

the lieutenant keep on hacking killing all but the tempestor and a volley gun toting scion, unfortunately the tempestor apparently popped a can of spinach and hacked the lieutenant apart.

gallery_60230_14990_242131.jpg

the following game turn saw the nearly victorious scions shoot down the sergeant of the last tactical squad, leaving only the heavy bolter marine, who refused to retreat, a true son of Perturabo indeed!

gallery_60230_14990_48303.jpg

ehm, well he was a true son of Perturabo when he was still alive.

Archived