Need a Chapter Name and Primarch

CCE1981

I need a Parent Chapter and a Primarch for my DIY Chapter.

My Chapter is the Tempesta Griffons/Griffins Tempest/Storm Griffins - Imperial records seem to use the names interchangeably, sometimes even in the same document. When asked the members of the Chapter cryptically reply “as you choose.”

The Chapter Master was chosen when his Captain died while destroying the Warp Engines of a Space Hulk. He and several other distinguished marines from the Chapter were chosen to start a new Chapter when it was discovered that a world in the system that the Space Hulk was in had an abandoned colony that would make an ideal recruitment world.

Within 5 years of starting the new Chapter their parent Chapter went rogue. Investigations from the Imperial Inquisition found that their parent Chapter had split off major numbers of Loyalists before going rogue. The Chapter despite being idemnified still found all of their supplies reduced to a trickle.

Desperate for supplies providence shown on them when they found a Horus Herasy Factory ship was part of the Space Hulk. To hide the discovery the Chapter Master turned the Chapter into Relic Hunters, fearing the Inquisition or Adeptus Mechanicus would take the discovery away.

Becoming a Chapter of Relic hunters required the Tempesta Griffins to treat the Codex Astartes as more of a guideline rather than hard set rules. Relic Hunting also placed the Griffins Tempest in the position of many other Chapters, observing the tactical doctrines of their piers and bringing them back to the Chapter.

The Griffins shared many of their fellow Chapters, the Mechanicum, and the greater Imperium as a whole allaying any fears of a Chapter whose parent had gone rogue were hiding a deeper weapons cache of their own.

Guilliman’s awakening and the Indominus Crusade came at a time when the Tempesta Griffins were still for entire Companies below strength. The Chapter Council argued for several days as to whether or not to support the new Crusade. Arguments to support the newly arisan Primarch prevailed.

During the campaign the Grifgins Tempest were finally brought up to full strength. The newly admitted Primaris Marines were welcomed. With them came more insights to various tactics, knowledge of old forgotten fortresses and possibly equipment to have survived the Herasy in deep underground supply caches.

Looking for a good parenet Chapter name, and a good Primarch for them.

Thanks

The Lions Bellum would suit the naming convention you’ve used and the Lion is traditionally part of a Griffin. It could be seen as combining the Eagle with a Lion to make a Griffin symbolised your new chapters evolution from its parent chapter.

As for a Primarch, their indecision over whether to support RG kind of suggests he wasn’t their Primarch as they’d surely rally to him instantly if he was. I’d be tempted to go for the Khan as he’s a bit more mysterious than some of the others so it gives you quite a lot of scope for their temperament.

Hope this helps a bit, it’s an interesting background you’ve created :)

Within 5 years of starting the new Chapter their parent Chapter went rogue. Investigations from the Imperial Inquisition found that their parent Chapter had split off major numbers of Loyalists before going rogue. The Chapter despite being idemnified still found all of their supplies reduced to a trickle.

If the "parent Chapter" went rogue, then the identity of the Tempestus Griffins' Primarch no longer matters- all other Chapters descended from the same Primarch, will state, "No, the [rogue Chapter] are not our brothers. The AdMech probably provided gene-seed from impure, 'mongrel' sources. Yes, we'll be glad to help you hunt down the [rogue Chapter] like the dogs they are."

Just have the Tempestus Griffins (altering the name because "Tempesta" is feminine) declare Guilliman is their adopted father, to win support from Imperial institutions.

Two bits of constructive feedback on the fluff you've made. One, up the length of time between splitting off to the parent Chapter going rogue. 5 years probably isn't even enough time for a new chapter to choose it's name and colors, let alone acting as an independent force, and they would have at most one very small contingent of recruits. To the Imperium, they would be traitors as well. You have millennia to play with, so feel free to stretch out the timeline. The other would be rethinking their decision to go all squirrelly and keep things from other imperial forces. That basically makes them renegades, in deed if not in ideology. Perhaps have them go the other route with it. They found a phenomenal discovery, and willingly sought out the Mechanicus to turn it over on condition of getting better supplies. Have them become relic hunters both for political capital with the Mechanicus but also for good will with other Imperial forces. "Yes, they shared the same stock as the :parent Chapter: but they parted ways almost a thousand years ago. If they were traitors why would they turn over so many relics to us instead of using them against us?" That kind of thing. For a cliche comparison, think a chapter of Indiana Joneses who are very good at what they do. Just some ideas for you to ponder.

For the Primarch, I agree that were it Guilliman they would have jumped into the crusade more readily. Given that "officially" they wouldn't be descended from Russ or Vulkan, that leaves a few good options. Ferrus could be a fun choice, what with their obvious appreciation of technology. The Khan could be fun because they are, after all, still hunters, just of artifacts and relics instead of enemies. Actually, that's my favorite take, and not one you see as often outside of bike forces.

Parent Chapter, I quite like Mark0sian's take on it, starting with a lion or eagle and going to a gryphon. Actually, I think it could be fun that their parent Chapter and them were lion themed, and they went to the gryphon when the parent Chapter turned rogue to distance themselves and display the Aquila wings more prominently. So something like the Leones Astra (Space Lions) spawned the Leones Tempestus (Storm Lions), who later became the Tempestus Griffon.

Redemptor

Thanks guys!

I like calling their Parent Chapter the Leones Astra, and the orignal name of my Chapter being the Astra Gryphons.  Changing the name to Tempestus Griffons, Griffons Tempestus.  The homeworld of Tempesta can keep the feminine form.. Their Chapter Monastary being the stationary Space Hulk, their Chapter Master and founder had a hand in disabling.

I agree that Guillaman, Russ, Vulcan and I would add Sanguinius aren't a good fit.  I am liking Khan, cutting away the bikes, I can see him as being fairly "independently minded" well at least as far as Space Marines go.  

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an obscure one for you: The Crimson Sabers. They were a loyalist chapter before they were exposed to Chaos and driven mad, becoming a Khornate Chapter called the Crimson Slaughter. If you had a company or two not caught in that (say a Reserve, and a scout company because CSM doesn't have those anyway), you could have some tattered remnants that recently had a group go rogue (iirc the Crimson Slaughter became a thing late into M41) and would still be strongly lacking in people when the Primaris rolled out

Link to an image below--wouldn't let me image tag it.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/b/b4/Crimson_Sabre_scheme.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140317071041

Archived