Shattered legion salamanders 10/5

Johanhgg

As a part of my shattered legions-themed 40k project, I’ve started working on Salamanders. Raven guard is in another thread. Decided on paintscheme and now it’s forward. First out is some tactical marines.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/johanhgg/0B09D4B2-98F4-4075-ADB4-82ED8BC270EE_zpsuudey9my.jpeg

Edited by Johanhgg

Continuing the good work there, I think the wash could be a good idea, I've seen a few darker Salamander forces and really preferred the look.

Thank you! Yes i prefer darker as well! I think i need to do a test miniature to see.

When children are sleeping and wife is away, production peaking!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/johanhgg/4FDF9CB3-7AA7-4EB0-9804-8AE835F986CB_zpsksak2bun.jpeg

Once the lenses, flames and shoulders are done, I'd definitely be happy playing with those on the other side of the field. The thin rims on the MKIV pads could look nice done in gold, I think it would work nicely with the black and pick out the edges.

Once the lenses, flames and shoulders are done, I'd definitely be happy playing with those on the other side of the field. The thin rims on the MKIV pads could look nice done in gold, I think it would work nicely with the black and pick out the edges.

Great, thank you! A question; i read somewhere that salamanders dont show squaddesignation (arrow for Tactical etc) they instead have a Flame-icon and squad number?

These look great well done, really like the green tone you achieved.

Thanks a lot! I’m looking forward to my aggressors which I think should come tomorrow :smile.:

I started some aggressors a couple of weeks ago I love the kits their great!, I posted about them on the blog.

Here is the link if your interested.

https://krakendoomcool.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/salamanders-wip-part-2-primaris-aggressors-and-more/

Great, thank you! A question; i read somewhere that salamanders dont show squaddesignation (arrow for Tactical etc) they instead have a Flame-icon and squad number?

Yup. That’s basically what it says in the new codex. :)

Excellent painting skills, would love to hear what your method for painting flames is, if you're willing to post it.

I'm another person who prefers to go for a darker, richer, shade of green for their Salamanders. But it's one of the things I love about this chapter is that people vary a lot in their view of the shade of green, and we get to enjoy a lot of variety but still consistency within our little corner of the hobby.

All of it looks great man! 

Excellent painting skills, would love to hear what your method for painting flames is, if you're willing to post it.

I'm another person who prefers to go for a darker, richer, shade of green for their Salamanders. But it's one of the things I love about this chapter is that people vary a lot in their view of the shade of green, and we get to enjoy a lot of variety but still consistency within our little corner of the hobby.

All of it looks great man!

Thanks alot man! Of course! I begin outlining the flames with khorne red (khornered is a little more subtle than mephiston I think) then painting the whole flames with khorne, after that I’m painting smaller flame-shapes with wild rider red and last of all small flame shapes with yellow. I’m making sure the paint doesn’t dry before changing Colour so there’s a little wet blending going on

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth, I think Salamanders really benefit from a mostly/mottled dark/light green. E.g. Where the slab/plate colour is broken up a bit.

E.g. A solid bright green is a bit of a nuisance, but a bright green heavily shaded to become dark, but with the highlights and brighter touches a bit brighter, can look really cool with little effort. (Nuln oil or coeliac greenshade dip, woo!)

That said, the colours you have look excellent as they are!

Chiaroscuro, I guess, but in green! :D

For what it's worth, I think Salamanders really benefit from a mostly/mottled dark/light green. E.g. Where the slab/plate colour is broken up a bit.

E.g. A solid bright green is a bit of a nuisance, but a bright green heavily shaded to become dark, but with the highlights and brighter touches a bit brighter, can look really cool with little effort. (Nuln oil or coeliac greenshade dip, woo!)

That said, the colours you have look excellent as they are!

Chiaroscuro, I guess, but in green! :D

Thank you! You dont think theyre too bright? Im thinking about dulling the green with a 50/50 wash of Biel-tan green and nuln oil and then re-edge highlight.

Im going to try on a model tonight and see what happens. I dont want them too Dark though, its not Dark Angels

Brighter than I'd have on my lot, but there's no mistaking them for Aurora Chapter or Sons of Medusa!

I think the gradiation is the key I try to achieve when I've been heavy shading my lot- not quite sharp edge highlights to against dark armour (a la Dark Angels), but to have patches nearer the edges that evoke the colour, but with a lot of it dark because its in a sort of... Inky shadow.

Difficult to pin down, but I always imagine Salamanders as brightly coloured, but in poorly lit/dark room. Splashes of strong colour, but with deep darkness too, rather than strikingly dark armour.

But shading with ink seems to yield that result for me, and it sounds a bit like what you're aiming for with too. :)