Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My sons of vulkan

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

Brighter than I'd have on my lot, but there's no mistaking them for Aurora Chapter or Sons of Medusa!

I think the gradiation is the key I try to achieve when I've been heavy shading my lot- not quite sharp edge highlights to against dark armour (a la Dark Angels), but to have patches nearer the edges that evoke the colour, but with a lot of it dark because its in a sort of... Inky shadow.

Difficult to pin down, but I always imagine Salamanders as brightly coloured, but in poorly lit/dark room. Splashes of strong colour, but with deep darkness too, rather than strikingly dark armour.

But shading with ink seems to yield that result for me, and it sounds a bit like what you're aiming for with too. :)

Do you have a thread or pictures somewhere so i can see? That would be nice 😀

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts
Sternguard taking form. There will be 2 hvy flamers and the rest combi-flamers in a razorback.

2D94C084098145CEB803.jpeg
  • Nocturne Noble and AnImA8 like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,107 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job so far. Did you sculpt the dragons on the breastplates out of green stuff, or order custom breastplates from Shapeways?

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Fritz Fantom

Fritz Fantom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

@Bjorn: These are the Kromlech Dragonborn torsi. Pretty nice stuff, plus they come with matching scale cloaks. I have them as well, pretty nice sculpts!

Super nice Sallies, Johanhgg! Love the green!

Jacques Corbin

Jacques Corbin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,443 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard
I hope you got the shoulder pads from Kromlech too. Their dragonborn line is the best thing out of Poland since Natalia Starr...
  • Nocturne Noble likes this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts
Thanks guys! Yes i got the shoulders as well! I got sidetracked with my Blood Angels, had to prepare them for a fight that was played today (win against ultramarines and Guilliman)

Starting to focus on salamanders again tonight!

00branchow

00branchow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders
I'm loving the darker color scheme, I just haven't been able to reproduce it. I'll have to try that 50/50 mix of nuln oil and beil-tan green. As a lore junky, I can tell you that yes, the Salamanders do not use squad symbols. It's just a flame with the squad number in it. Though they are still in standard battle order (Squads 1-7 are tacticals, 8 and 9 are assault, and 10-12 are devastarors).

Cheers,
Branchow

Edited by 00branchow, 20 November 2018 - 02:46 AM.

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

I'm loving the darker color scheme, I just haven't been able to reproduce it. I'll have to try that 50/50 mix of nuln oil and beil-tan green. As a lore junky, I can tell you that yes, the Salamanders do not use squad symbols. It's just a flame with the squad number in it. Though they are still in standard battle order (Squads 1-7 are tacticals, 8 and 9 are assault, and 10-12 are devastarors).

Cheers,
Branchow

Hey man! Thank you! Sorry for lack of activity. Im trying out a new colour-scheme. I want it more muted green, like the pre-heresy salamanders, will get back soon hopefully with salamanders im more at peace with!

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 972 posts

Do you have a thread or pictures somewhere so i can see? That would be nice

Be careful what you wish for. These are a bit... work in progress.

Spoiler

As you can see, some serious work needed on sorting the whole lot, but it gives you the idea of what I'm aiming for (if not actually achieving...).

And anyway, a lot of that's repairing decades-old efforts from over the years. I'm getting there though. More effort, more patience.

Unto the painting station!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users