Dusk Crows 2nd Company Project

Brother Quixote

Okay, so here is my Dusk Crows 2nd Company project, an effort to reduce the grey pile of plastic and actually get models painted.

I've made a good start during the ETL VI with these guys:

med_gallery_98774_14827_276000.jpg

med_gallery_98774_14827_91255.jpg

I'm happy with the final decisions on colour scheme, chapter markings and how they turned out. The bases will be done, I just need to work out what colour will look best. I have some scouts with camo cloaks, which will be done to match the base. I'm leaning towards black/grey as I'm happy with how the grey crossbelts look on the assault marines.

I also intend to make a gaming table in the same colour, time permitting. Which I never seem to have much of.

After some thought I'm aiming for 1000 points of marines. Next up are these guys:

med_gallery_98774_14827_64694.jpg

Yes, some basic tacticals partially put together 20 odd years ago and wallowing in unpainted hell. I've made a start on changing bases to 32mm, dug the bolters out of my bits box and rummaged for an hour looking for the missing shoulder pads.

Some reposing was required as when I put them together I appear to have been obsessed with not having them all look the same, so 7 out of 10 appear to be shooting at the air which looks odd. (Especially as no fliers existed in game at the time!)

There was something strangely satisfying about clipping the plasma gunner's hands off and filing to fit the plasma gun. This was stolen off a Space Wolf in exchange for flamers, so the purity seal hides the rune on it. The one on the other side will be filled to not show.

I know tacticals are not considered great, but I'd feel guilty not running at least one squad. Don't panic brothers, scouts are also on the list.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I've been distracted by Orks in Oct/Nov and hit a hobby slump in December (Never enough time and children causing lack of sleep/energy).

I have been doing some Dusk Crows planning with the Chapter Approved points changes as well as forum lurking of course.  The points reductions have enabled me to fit more into my lists. So here is what I'm aiming for at 1000 points:

Hidden Content
HQ - Jump Captain, Plasma pistol & PSword

HQ - Jump Librarian, Force Axe

Troops - Tactical x5, Plasma Gun

Troops - Scouts x5, HBolter, Camo Cloaks

Troops - Scouts x5, MLauncher, Sniper Rifle x4, Camo Cloaks

Elite - Vanguard Vets x5, Jump Packs, Relic Blade+SS, PFist+SS, LClaw+SS x2, LClaw x2

Fast - Assault Squad x8, Jump Packs, Flamer x2, PSword

Heavy - Devastator x5, MLauncher x2, Lascannon x2

Heavy - Whirlwind, Vengeance Launcher, SBolter

It's meant to be a flexible list that I enjoy playing and uses models I already own. I dropped 2 Assault marines and put in a Whirlwind with the points saved with the reductions.  My original plan was to go all infantry but I felt I needed more heavy weaponry.

It gives me a brigade , so 8CP to play with. Mostly to be spent on deployment shenanigans, charge rerolls (I need them every time!) and mortal wounds from MLaunchers & HBolter.

Relic will be the Burning Blade to give my captain some hitting power.

Hopefully a statement of intent will encourage me to pick up a paintbrush. I do have a 2000 points list in mind too which I may share later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The relic whirlwind is awesome.

I've got 4 predator annihalators with all the lascannons in hybrid metal, from that generation, but they're in need of serious repair. Do you think plastic or brass pipe could replace the plastic curved tubes at the top of the engine exhausts? Mine are mostly snapped off and the metal sponsons need repair.

You can't see it but mine has two missing exhausts on the far side too.

I've been trying some gardening wire of a similar diameter but it's a pain to work with and I'm not 100% happy with it.  Brass rod is what I'm trying next, I think it'll be much easier to bend into the right shape.

I'm thinking of just replacing all four so I'm not worrying too much about them matching the survivors.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Archived