Are index demon prince w/access to warptime legal to play?

Bulwyf

I played a game today with my Space Wolves against the shady DG player in my local meta I mentioned before. He was using two DPs which wasn't odd until he told me one of them was an Index prince. I questioned why that would matter and he told me that since it was Index prince he had access to Warptime which he was going to use on Mortarion.

I didn't think that was legal but he said Battlescribe lists it as an option and he pointed to this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleScribe/comments/951f4i/death_guard_has_two_listings_for_demon_prince/

He states that he believes his Index model is a totally different model than the codex prince even though the only difference is the index model has access to warp time.

I've seen him use some shady stuff in the past like casting Putrscent Vitality on Morty/DP so I'm more than skeptical about this.

I can't argue with him about it being an option in Battlescribe but BS is not official. Would anyone care to inform me if what he did was legal in the rules?

This was the ruling of my local TO:

Index datasheet are replaced by the codex one. A model my take wargear options from the index, but psychic power are not wargear.

Finally, any psychic ability given to an index faction is replaced by the powers from the codex if availlable.

But, in RAW your oponent did not break any rules. He did break the obvious intent of the developer that the contagion discipline replaces index options. And that is abuse to me.

I have played with Index Princes. I like death hex and warptime, sue me :P

If he does that just make sure he doesn't use any DR rolls, because DG Index Princes don't get access to it.

By the letter of the rule, it is legal.

When I went to the ITC GT they didn't understand how it worked and I let it be, and just took the codex DP, but it's widely understood this is leveraged quite a bit in competitive play (There's a Dark Eldar unit that has a similar shadiness to it which is also often used).

I would never take it normal play. I mean a LOT of competitive players just throw in an 'Alpha Legion" detachment with Sorc for Warptime/Death hex. It's easy enough to do.

So it is legal as RAW. Great. This guy...if there is any cheese to be had he'll stuff it to the max.

I don't understand why if you don't want to use a CSM patrol detachment...couldn't you just take the nurgle familiar stratagem to replace one of Morty's spells to Warptime and just use it that way? A DP without DR in a DG army is just asking for trouble.

This was the ruling of my local TO:

Index datasheet are replaced by the codex one. A model my take wargear options from the index, but psychic power are not wargear.

Finally, any psychic ability given to an index faction is replaced by the powers from the codex if availlable.

But, in RAW your oponent did not break any rules. He did break the obvious intent of the developer that the contagion discipline replaces index options. And that is abuse to me.

ITC TO rules the same way, but I think he didn’t understand the different entries point. ETC was fine

I agree it is legal and would not blame anyone for using all the dirty trick in a tournament.

Still, its abusing the intent of a game where the rule is to be upholded by the players. It is clearly not intended for deathguard to be allowed to take a CSM DP with Deathguard keyword. But here we are where it is legal.

Bulwyf, one cannot use deathguard Familiar of nurgle to get warptime since it allows you to change a power for a CONTAGION power.

You need the CSM familiar strat for warptime.

I agree it is legal and would not blame anyone for using all the dirty trick in a tournament.

Still, its abusing the intent of a game where the rule is to be upholded by the players. It is clearly not intended for deathguard to be allowed to take a CSM DP with Deathguard keyword. But here we are where it is legal.

Bulwyf, one cannot use deathguard Familiar of nurgle to get warptime since it allows you to change a power for a CONTAGION power.

You need the CSM familiar strat for warptime.

Ah, thanks for that, I thought it gave options for both psker schools.

The reason it's legal is because they have different names on their data sheets. One is a Daemon Prince of Nurgle (Codex Death Guard) while the other is Daemon Prince of Chaos (Index Chaos). So you could run, in this case, 6 DP's in one army.

Archived