~ Shotgun

~ Bolt pistol, combat knife (3)

Scouts (5)

~ Boltgun, chainsword

~ Shotgun

~ Bolt pistol, combat knife (3)

:Elite:

Furioso Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter, heavy flamer, furioso fists (pair)

~ Smoke launchers

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought

~ Twin lascannon, graviton blaster, Dreadnought combat weapon

Spearhead Detachment

:HQ:

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

~ Smite, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius

~ Warlord (Artisan of War)

:HS:

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought

~ Grav-flux bombard, meltagun, siege claw

Devastators (5)

~ Missile launcher

~ Heavy bolter

~ Boltgun (3)

~ Armorium Cherub

Thoughts and options

• 9 CPs with the Vertias Vitae as cover
  • Mortis over regular because of points difference
  • Lieutenant gear because that's the model I've got
  • First Scout Squad looks weird but the theory is once the chaff has gone the missile launcher gets a bonus to his save. Will be camping an objective or somewhere useful, similar to the Devastators
  • Devastators have the option of mortal wound shenanigans on either <FLY> or anything with multiple wounds. Scout ML is backup
  • Other two Scout Squads are the first wave and push hard at the start. Second wave is the Librarian Dreadnought and Furioso
  • Mortis, Contemptor, Leviathan are babysat by the Captain & Lieutenant at first, before the Lieutenant being able to UWoF to where needed later on. I expect this group to push forward either centrally or on a flank, Will need to be dealt with
  • Librarian Dreadnought is the Warlord just for Artisan of War. Is there a better choice?
  • What am I missing and/or have I covered every base?

C&C appreciated :smile.:

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Why a single shotgun in each Scout squad?

And yea, that mixed sniper, bolt gun, some camp cloak Scout Squad makes my skin itch :smile.:

1. Single shotgun is a hangover from previous editions whereby I followed the 1 in 5 updates rule. Basically at the cost of 1 ATK I improve the shooting capability of my unit which potentially means there's less to chop up in combat (and thus, less retaliatory strikes). I use a similar theory elsewhere (DC have 1 (or sometimes 2) melee upgrades and at least one bolter per five men, as do RAS, etc. There's also the collection restrictions: I only have metal Scouts and have a lot more choppy ones than shotgun ones.
  2. Hidden ML (or more often, HB) is a well used tactic. If I had the points, they'd all have camp cloaks and sniper rifles but c'est la vie. It will also annoy my opponent ;)

1. Single shotgun is a hangover from previous editions whereby I followed the 1 in 5 updates rule. Basically at the cost of 1 ATK I improve the shooting capability of my unit which potentially means there's less to chop up in combat (and thus, less retaliatory strikes). I use a similar theory elsewhere (DC have 1 (or sometimes 2) melee upgrades and at least one bolter per five men, as do RAS, etc. There's also the collection restrictions: I only have metal Scouts and have a lot more choppy ones than shotgun ones.
  2. Hidden ML (or more often, HB) is a well used tactic. If I had the points, they'd all have camp cloaks and sniper rifles but c'est la vie. It will also annoy my opponent :wink:

Obviously the rule of "the models I have" always applies, so no complaints there.

Has a single shotgun in a 5man Scout squad made a different for you in the past? I get hiding the ML/HB in a Scout squad...no issues there. However, camo cloaks are all or nothing. The rule says:

Hidden Content

"If every model in a unit has a camo cloak, you can add 2 to saving throw made for models in the unit when they receive the benefits of cover, instead of 1."

...so it's better to save the points or bring one for everyone.

And like my skepticism around a single shotgun adding much value to a CQC squad, I have doubts about a single sniper rifle really being worth its points. I mean, I have doubts around a single squad armed with sniper rifles, after all.

Again, if you're stuck with the models you have then bravo for pulling together what you can. And if you have found excellent reliable success sprinkling in a single bolter, shotgun, or sniper rifle into units, then again, all the more power to you. I just speak from my own experience where things like all 3 of those types of weapons really need to be en masse to have any sort of reliable effect at all.

Hope this doesn't come off harsh, just providing my own personal critique. Best of luck in your game!

Edited by Indefragable

Thanks for posting the rules on camo cloaks as it helps highlight the minor shenanigans I'm pulling. Cloaks can be purchased on a model by model basis meaning I can put one on the model I want to keep. Then, once what I called the "chaff" above (in this case, the bolters and the Sergeant) have gone, the cloak comes into play as every model in the Squad then has one... It's only three points after all.

I don't know if a single sniper rifle will do anything of note (fwiw I'm a fan of squads of them), but I've got four points to spare and nought to spend it on (for example, the Lieutenant's wargear is locked in). In hindsight I suppose I could give the Captain a melee weapon for redundancy but as he's babysitting the big stuff he shouldn't see combat...

So yeah, that's seven points I can throw elsewhere, but where? I'm basically micromanaging at this point adding stuff in on the off chance it does something - so the same as giving the Captain a melee weapon really. Again, it's the same theory as a single shotgun: I don't require the extra attack in combat so a better shooting chance is my preferred gambit. It looks off but it really depends what you value more: in this case an extra combat knife attack or a better shooting attack. It's likely neither will affect the game but there's a chance it might so place your bets :)

... and no, I don't think you come off as sounding harsh. I asked for C&C after all and you're posting your experiences :)

A BA Captain gets 4A at WS2+ re-rollable  and +1 To Wound (as you know). If there's spare points, I (IMHO) always think it's worth it to give him a CQW whenever possible.

Alternatively (depending on your model options) throw storm bolters on Sgts all around, especially the Scouts. 4shots is not a bad lil upgrade for 2pts. Or (for BA specifically) a Power Axe/Sword on Scout Sgts. Suddenly makes the enemy think twice about what this "chaff" unit can do.

Or scrounge a bit more and swap the Libby Dread's storm bolter for a melta gun...just a bit extra firepower on a character that can't be targeted. Make solo'ing those Knights all the bit more reliable.

Edited by Indefragable

• 1 month later...

Found the points for a meltagun and here's how the game went

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262966-jolemais-blog-of-wips-battle-reports-and-musings/?p=5167375

I also had another game Vs the Grey Knights at 1k. This required me to strip back the army by losing the Leviathan, Mortis, Libby meltagun, and Sergeant's sniper rifle. I also tossed the Angel's Wing onto the Lieutenant. Report here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/262966-jolemais-blog-of-wips-battle-reports-and-musings/?p=5167376

• 5 months later...

Posted for posterity, he's the most recent version of this list (i.e. post CA18 and one I used a few weeks ago):

1500 - Dreadnought List

Battalion Detachment

Techmarine

Chainsword, hand flamer, servo arm

~ Veritas Vitae

Lieutenant

~ Hand flamer, chainsword, jump pack

~ The Angel's Wing

:Troops:

Scouts (7)

~ Camo cloak, chainsword, sniper rifle

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (6)

Scouts (5)

~ Chainsword, storm bolter

~ Heavy bolter

~ Boltgun (3)

Scouts (6)

~ Chainsword, combi-flamer

~ Combat knife (2)

~ Shtogun (3)

Furioso Dreadnought

~ Frag cannon, Furioso fist, meltagun

~ Smoke launchers

~ Cyclone missile launcher, Dreadnought melee weapon (storm bolter), twin lascannon

Spearhead Detachment

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

~ Warlord (Gift of Foresight)

:FA:

Attack Bike Squad (1)

~ Multi-melta (1)

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

~ Grav-flux bombard, meltagun, siege claw

~ Hunter-killer missiles (3)

Devastators (5)

~ Storm bolter

~ Missile launcher

~ Heavy bolter

~ Boltgun (2)

~ Armorium Cherub

Thoughts and options

• 8 CPs due to the two relics
  • Despite being more expensive, the Mortis is in over a regular Dreadnought for the Spearhead Detachment "tax"
  • Lieutenant gear because that's the model I've got. Will start by the Devastators or the Dreadnoughts and UWoF later if need be...
  • Devastators have the option of mortal wound shenanigans on either <FLY> or anything with multiple wounds. Babysat by the Mortis (Wisdom of Ancients)
  • Contemptor and Leviathan start together as one threat. Perhaps near the Devastators, perhaps not. Librarian Dreadnought starts here or near it's target. Furioso footslogs a flank, hits the target the Librarian Dreadnought does, or supports the Scouts.
  • Snipers do their thing on an objective. The other two Scout squads harass or grab objectives, preferably with Attack bike support (yes he's there to round off the points. Would prefer a better choice but...)
  • Librarian Dreadnought is the Warlord but i've switched to Gist of Foresight as he dies far too quickly. Is there a better choice?

• 1 year later...

Revamped for 9th. Currently P:2 W:1 L1 (and that loss was by one point):

1500 - Dreadnought List

Battalion Detachment

Techmarine

Chainsword, bolt gun, servo arm

~ Adamantine Mantle, Warlord: Soulwarden

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

~ Biomantic Sarcophagus, Artisan of War

Scouts (5)

~ Chainsword, sniper rifle

~ Sniper rifle (4)

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma pistol, power axe

~ Heavy flamer

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Chainsword, combi-plasma

~ Heavy bolter

~ Plasma gun

:Troops::Troops:

Drop Pod

~ Stormbolter

Drop Pod

~ Deathwind missile launcher

Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod

Contemptor Dreadnought

~ Combi-bolter, Dreadnought close combat weapon, multi-melta

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

~ Grav-flux bombard, storm cannon array

Thoughts and options

• 10 CPs (-1 second relic, -1 Hero of the Chapter). Techmarine is the Warlord as he's easier to hide; Soulwarden is default but subject to change...
  • Had to drop the fifth Dreadnought due to the points changes :down: however, I don't like running the Contemptor as a hybrid. May go pure combat (it arrives via Pod) or ditch it for a Furioso with talons/fists.
  • The three Drop Pods offer excellent mobility and secondary mission points.
  • Need to be patient with the Librarian Dreadnought and the Leviathan is still hit and miss :/

Have you considered dropping some scoring and the techmarine and going for more Dreads?

If you want the tacs to pod down, then 2x5 men can fit in a single pod, freeing more points. 

I love dread lists and knocked this together. You can replace the tarantula with a speeder. It gets you back up to 6 dreads, the Chaplain dread with artisan of war lascannons is fun.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [82 PL, 1,497pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 168pts]: 2. Artisan of War, 2. Catechism of Fire, Invocation of Destruction, Twin lascannon, Warlord
. Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Librarian Dreadnought [8 PL, 143pts]: Furioso fist, Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 90pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Sniper rifle
. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 95pts]
. 3x Space Marine: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 95pts]
. 3x Space Marine: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 153pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

Death Company Dreadnought [9 PL, 140pts]: Furioso fist (pair), Heavy flamer, Meltagun, Smoke launchers

+ Fast Attack +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 50pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun: Twin heavy bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Mortis Dreadnought [7 PL, 130pts]
. Two twin autocannons: 2x Twin autocannon

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [18 PL, 365pts]: Grav-flux bombard, 2x Heavy flamer, Storm cannon array

+ Dedicated Transport +

Drop Pod [4 PL, 68pts]: Storm bolter

++ Total: [82 PL, 1,497pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
Edited by Xenith

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, seemed to miss this :blush.: Appreciate the reply though :)

Unfortunately, I don't own a Chaplain Dreadnought and as I try really hard not to proxy these days, it's a no go :(

Dreadnought options:

• I own two Librarian/Furioso/DCD kits which I can run as any. So one Librarian (HQ) and Furioso (cheap) usually (the DCDs are used in my DC lists although times change...).
  • Contemptor which can be a Codex, Relic, or Lastemptor Mortis
  • Boxnaught which is run as a Mortis Rifleman for the relic tax.
  • Leviathan (one of each weapon)

So five Dreadnoughts max. Trouble is, with two static Dreadnoughts and one with wings, I need something up field and board control. Hence the Tactical Drop Pods. Fourth Dreadnought uses the Lucius Pod. Didn't like this being a Codex Contemptor, a Talon Furioso was interesting. Maybe I'll try a DCD there? Or rework it completely and go for a Lastemptor.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes in red

Revamped for 9th. Currently P:2 W:1 L1 (and that loss was by one point):

1500 - Dreadnought List

Battalion Detachment

Techmarine

Chainsword, bolt gun, servo arm

~ Adamantine Mantle, Warlord: Soulwarden

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

~ Biomantic Sarcophagus, Artisan of War

Scouts (5)

~ Chainsword, sniper rifle

~ Sniper rifle (4)

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Plasma pistol, power axe, melta bombs

~ Heavy flamer

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Chainsword, combi-plasma, melta bombs

~ Heavy bolter

~ Plasma gun

Drop Pod

~ Stormbolter

Drop Pod

Furioso Dreadnought

~ Blood talons, meltagun, stormbolter

~ Magna grapple

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

~ Hunter-killer missile (3)

Went for the tweak, just don't like the plain Codex Contemptor arriving like this.

• 4 months later...

Post Supplement update:

1500 - Dreadnought List

Battalion Detachment

Techmarine

Power axe, bolt gun, servo arm

Warlord

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

Smite, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Power sword, bolt pistol

~ Heavy flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Flamer

Drop Pod

~ Stormbolter

Drop Pod

Company Veterans (2)

Stormshield, power axe, jump pack

Stormshield, chainsword, jump pack

Furioso Dreadnought

~ Magna grapple

~ Twin lascannon (2)

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

Musings

• Warlord Trait(s) and relics tbc. Probably going to stick with the Techmarine as it's easier to hide...
  • Back up to five Dreadnoughts :D
  • Tacticals are looking a bit light however. Still plan on dropping them in to claim objectives whilst the Dreadnoughts do the heavy lifting and distract.
  • The Compan Veterans idea is a new one. Either than stop the Techmarine getting sniped or they move up with the Librarian Dreadnought to stop it getting sniped (unless the I'm missing an FAQ...)

Redemptors are looking pretty solid in 9th. Do you see a role for them in this list?

Another question is whether Psychic Fortress is worth considering. If you have 2/3 Dreads moving up in formation then a 5++ on them for a turn or two seems useful. Either the Libby Dread or a Jump Pack Libby as a separate HQ.

• 8 months later...

Latest update (and one which got used last night), changes in red:

1500 - Dreadnought List

Battalion Detachment

Techmarine

Power axe, hand flamer, servo arm

Warlord: Storm of Fire

Adamantine Mantle

Master of the Forge

Librarian Dreadnought

~ Storm bolter

Smite, Quickening, Wings of Sanguinius

Hero of the Chapter: The Imperium's Sword

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Power axe, plasma pistol

~ Heavy flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Flamer

Drop Pod

~ Stormbolter

Drop Pod

Furioso Dreadnought

~ Magna grapple

~ Twin lascannon (2)

~ Cyclone missile launcher

~ Grav-flux bombard, storm cannon array, two heavy flamers

Mortis dreadnought

~ Twin autocannons

Musings

• 9CP. With the Techmarine standing near the Mortis and Contemptor, that Warlord trait should be very nice - as will Awaken the Machine Spirit on either of those
  • Imperium's Sword on the Librarian Dreadnoughtis a scary thought... It will either be that or the Furioso in the Dreadnought Drop Pod
  • In short, it's a strong alpha strike backed up by Dreadnoughts that gets up the field quickly. Aiming for Engage on All Fronts + 2 situational ones.

I'd consider Angel Exemplar, then speed of the primarch+gift of foresight on the Lib dread - though he then has to be WARLORD. Gift will let you reroll the halberd attack in case it misses. 

Did you get any milage out of storm of fire? The list doesn't seem the best to take advantage of it - the MotF trait would give the benefits of the Imperium's Sword. Is he coming down in the pod? Visage of death might flip an objective if that's the plan! 

This was the basis of my dreadlist for funsies:

+++ BA Dread list (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [73 PL, -1CP, 1,390pts] +++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [Legends] [9 PL, 180pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Gift of Foresight, Litany of Hate, Multi-melta, Warlord
. . Melee weapon: Storm bolter

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, -1CP, 180pts]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinius, Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Iron Resolve, Meltagun, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts]: Multi-melta

Death Company Dreadnought [7 PL, 140pts]: Meltagun, Smoke launchers, Storm bolter
. . Blood talons (pair): 2x Blood talons

Ironclad Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Dreadnought chainfist, Hurricane bolter, Meltagun

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Multi-melta
. . Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 145pts]: Multi-melta
. . Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer

+ Heavy Support +

Whirlwind [7 PL, 135pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

Need something to suck up that last 110pts.