Puppetswar Knight rises... Wip

Dragolord19d

As all figures start, let’s start with the base.

After looking at all the standard bases offered on the net I wasn’t happy, I wanted something special.

And I found it. The Ruined Rhino base on ThingiVerse.

c023e1fe_6166_428b_9992_2be4cfc6b95a_by_

After printing it and letting it cool (About 8 hours later) I was read to paint... but before that I had to smooth it. When working with PLA (I went it instead of Resin to save on weight) there are two ways to truly smooth it.

1: Auto primer

2: Or a heat gun on low.

I decided on the heat gun due to the fact it was supposed to look destroyed so a little melting wouldn’t hurt...

f898cc75_921c_438d_bcf4_7c4645514984_by_

As you can see the front of the Rhino and roadway came out pretty well, the rocks and top of the Rhino not so much.

I primed it with Army Painter army green and started painting. I went with mechanis grey for the stripe and tracks, XV-88 for the mud and ultrasmurf blue for the road light. The hawk head is from Martillo Y Cola on Shapeways with a little rustolum white primer/paint.

cb0a28c7_6dbf_4428_9f3e_e1774588f5b9_by_

Sadly I forgot to take a pre quickshade picture but I’m happy how it came out. After painting the rocks and in roadway cracks I painted the roadway with watered down XV-88 and wiped it off with a paper towel giving it a dirty look. I then used the paper towel to give a rub to the Rhino to give it a more dirty look too. After the paint had dried I gave it a good coat of Army painter quick shade.

And now let’s turn to the Knight, Sadly I just received it today and I haven’t had much time to work on it. here it is on my welding bench.

145c38a6_59cf_4a16_a318_ad38399f51e3_by_

It looks fairly good, only a few mold lines. Although strangely it arrived without arms... While I’m dealing with that it doesn’t mean I can’t keep working on the body and posing the body right? So I’m afraid this will be all for now, until next time.

I like the base and I'm intrigued to see what happens with the knight, is it the same size as the GW one?

I've had a couple orders from Puppetswar and have found the quality to be pretty high but fairly slow to ship. In fairness, I live a third of the way around the planet so that's to be expected. I didn't have issues with missing parts, though, so I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I like the base and I'm intrigued to see what happens with the knight, is it the same size as the GW one?

Not sure yet, this would be my personal first Knight and until I take to my game store I can’t judge it. Plus it depends on how I pose it.

... I must have forgotten or repressed the horrors of me helping my dad paint his Imperial Fists... But after about what feels 20 coats of yellow later here’s the armor!

c862f269_324b_40ed_a557_aa90719cd771_by_

512b1a8a_9e2a_4fd9_b6d8_019371e386a5_by_

fda2982d_cc01_4492_b21e_13640312c81b_by_

After using a black primer (My main mistake but I wanted a darker yellow)I began layering Averland Yellow and Lamenters shade. After about 10 layers I was finally happy, admittedly it’s a little more mustard-ly then I thought it would be but it works. I had thought about doing the body yellow but... Nah...

Also I’ve heard back from PW, they say the arms should be in the mail by Tuesday! So I should be getting them by Friday after next!

Due to a three day weekend this week I got this Knight mostly done!

After priming it white I then airbrushed a metallic silver on followed by a light coating of quickshade to darken the metallic.

30f9ec10_a772_4d6e_a4d6_74cec4af2eef_by_

As you can I did some white on the raised bits to give it some flair.

6294e66d_501b_42cb_a4e1_a9e088a5678b_by_

Sadly this is the last I will be able to do until I receive my arms hopefully within the next two weeks.

Well I have an answer for you, according to the tape measure from the bottom of the base to the top of the hump is 7 inches exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

So while I’m still impatiently waiting for my arms here’s a few more pictures with all the body’s armor and the head on.

med_gallery_100509_14870_327782.jpeg

med_gallery_100509_14870_776366.jpeg

And just a note for anyone else who wants one is you’re going to have to glue the waist down because the only way I’m keeping it upright for the pictures is some green stuff.

The Knight is coming along well. His overall design reminds me of the VF-1 Valkyrie from 'Super Dimension Fortress Macross' (anyone else get that vibe?), but the colors remind me of Bumblebee in Michael Bay's 'Transformers'.

...Yeah I can see it...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/macross/images/8/88/VF-1S_Maximilian_Jenius_Custom_Battroid.gif/revision/latest?cb=20131206180019

I admit, I thought about painting him like bumblebee but I wasn’t sure if he would look too dark after I used the metallic paint but now I think I could have gotten away with it.

Archived