Can a Deathwatch Watch Master Take Generic Astartes Relics

Hiya!

Would you please let me know if the following is possible:

Let's say you have 2 detachments...Detachment 1 is Deathwatch and Detachment 2 is a generic Space Marine Chapter. The warlord is a Watch Master.

Is it viable to apply universal space marine relics (from Codex: Space Marines) to Deathwatch Characters via Relics of the Chapter Stratagem?  Aside from the relics being given to CHARACTERS, there is no keyword (i. e. <Chapter>) on the relics of the chapter stratagem description nor on the relics' description.  They only state "space marines"......and Deathwatch are space marines after all. 

Thanks!

First, welcome to the B&C.

Second, such a good question doesn't need to be buried as a necro-post. Which would violate the forum rules anyway.

---------------------------------

Third, Pg 194 of Codex marines provides a fairly narrow definition of 'Space Marine unit' and restricts it to a specific list there in. In the next paragraph there's an exclusionary note about wolves and blood angles, and an implication that it similarly excludes all other marine forces with their own materials.

Pg. 200 of the same book keys relic access to 'Space Marine' Characters. I interpret this as an extension of the 'Space Marine unit' definition referenced earlier. As such, a Death Watch character would not be within that narrow definition and would have to leave his fancy toys with his parent chapter when he left them.

Archived