Ventrillian Nobles

Thanks gents!

I haven't noticed any watermarks yet but the machine is new and I've been using some relatively clean tap water... maybe I'll make sure to filter it? Haha... I think I'll just make sure to spray anything that is likely to get a little water on it. Thanks for the tip!

Here is a link to the site where I purchased my machine: https://www.realgamefx.com/products/clear

I also sprung for the attachment that allows the flexi tube hookup and the fan. It's been a lot of fun so far! I know people on the internets have said that it isnt hard or expensive to build your own but I know I would never get around to it so this was a good option for me. More painting and gaming time!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update...

I've been working on getting a 1000 point list completely painted and I only have about 18 models left to go! I'm really trying to get everything finished up by the end of June. Wish me luck.

Anyway, I've been working on getting my cavalry up to tabletop readiness. Here is a WIP shot of a squad of rough/death riders:

gallery_105641_14818_673735.jpg

They are almost done I guess but there are definitely some things that need to be tidied up and details that need to be picked out. I need to spend some more time on faces but I always put that off until the end. Anyway, these are 5 out of 15 cavalry models so I've got a long way to go.

Also, one last thing... My brother and I have a long standing rule that all players must roll dice in a box, otherwise the roll just doesn't count. This prevents things like cocked dice becoming an issue. We also had some trouble with someone rolling an extra large die onto a folder and trying to manipulate his rolls through some really strange methods. In the end, the dice box really seems to help make sure there is never any bad blood between players concerning their rolls. That said, we sometimes get some grumbling from people about using the box (mostly from the same people who consistently use the highest numbers on a cocked die). To combat this, we have decided to make the coolest box that our limited technological expertise will allow.

Here is a WIP shot of what we have so far:

gallery_105641_14818_682675.jpg

gallery_105641_14818_523095.jpg

The idea is to add UV lights to set off glow in the dark dice as well. This will make the dice pop out a bit through any excess smoke. The wood will also be painted or stained and sealed so any condensation doesn't bother it. We have some fun plans for decoration as well. Stay tuned!

Thanks all! I really love cavalry in this army. It just seems to fit. Aesthetically and in gameplay. It's nice to have a relatively mobile, somewhat beefy, melee threat on the board.

On another note, because I run the horses as death riders sometimes I've been thinking of trying a couple squads of death korps engineers. Anyone have experience running them? I enjoy their shotguns gets hot rule. I was thinking of kitbashing some ventrillians with shotguns and maybe using a green and grey alternate uniform to distinguish them. I'd also likely use the scion breastplate because they have carapace armor. Thoughts?

Anyway, I'll try and get a full army shot in here soon. There's enough painted that I think it's going to look pretty cool.

Hey everyone!

Quick update: I've just finished getting my third and final (for now) infantry squad ready for the tabletop. Not quite finished but good enough for now I think. Although I did forget to drill a plasma barrel... Oh well. I'll take care of that shortly. I'm almost to my 1000 point goal! Just some more cavalry and maybe some flag bearers, and maybe one more plasma gunner?

Here's a photo of the whole group right now:

gallery_105641_14818_336818.jpg

I also did some experimenting with giving a few of the higher ranking nobles some cooler bases. What do you think?

gallery_105641_14818_128330.jpg

And lastly, here are the sad neglected flag bearers. I have one for each squad because flags are pretty cool. I have enough lasgunners to make full squads without them so my progress has kind of stalled unfortunately. I'm kind of at the blocking in colors stage at this point. The one on the left (with the guy who seems to have lost his feather) was just made from heated plastic and the other two are from different Empire kits.

gallery_105641_14818_985544.jpg

Any tips for painting on that third flag? The "fabric" is really wavy and I know I'm going to mess it up a few times...

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Expendable_Aquanaut

Big fan of family photos and these models are amazing and look brilliant together. You should be really proud of them! :D It's nice to see Rough Riders too they're not that common :tu:

Afraid I have no immediate ideas about the flag, maybe you could find something online to copy or inspire yourself with? Oh wait - perhaps the bird head you've already got can be used? Double it up, facing outwards to make it into an aquila?

Thanks all! I really do appreciate the praise. It's definitely been a bit of a slog at times. Little known fact: these are actually the first guardsmen I ever bought and assembled. Some are actually from the first 40k game I ever played. They've been stripped, headswapped and repainted but still technically the same I guess. I'm too attached to purchase new models at this point.

Anyway, what's in the photo is actually just a bit different from my 1k list... I have an extra company commander in there and I've omitted a sentinel because his paint was drying while I was taking photos. So really, this is under 1000 points I think. Pretty awesome what guard can bring to the table.

I'm going to try and have my sentinel painted up by the end of the weekend. I think I found the perfect grey...

Thanks again for reading. More updates soon!

Love this army. Fantastic and imaginative conversions, and containing my favourite unit, Rough Riders! :)

The flags are a great inclusion. Perhaps you might consider using them as vox-caster equivalents? My advice for painting the wavy flag is to break up the field into quarters (perhaps red and yellow) and treat each one individually – working in detail and adding some complexity in this way will break things up and make the overall design more manageable.

If you're really not confident, avoid geometrical shapes for the design, as any asymmetry will jump out. However, the rest of your painting shows you've got the chops for this, so why not give it a go? Using a propelling pencil to sketch out the design lightly beforehand, then filling in the shapes will help to avoid any problems.

Thanks Apologist! I'm really liking your army as well. And yeah you can never have too many rough riders.

I like the idea of vox caster equivalents for the banners but I actually already have a vox in each squad. These guys are supposed to have the best equipment money can buy so I figured it fits, even if I don't really think they're worth 5 points each. That said, I might use them as vox equivalents in future squads. That would be pretty cool. And thanks for the tips on painting the banner. I will take some photos when I finally get around to it. The pencil sketch beforehand will definitely come in handy.

Anyway, I walked a friend through his first ever game of 40k yesterday and I thought I'd share a couple of fun photos. He played space wolves and ended up winning by one point in the bottom of the last round. Definitely a fun game.

This was the last stand of my infantry:

gallery_105641_14818_64782.jpg

They technically held until the end of the round which is pretty cool. Maybe they got out alive? Also my hobbit friend on the roof managed to mortal wound one of the Thunderwolf riders to death which was unexpectedly awesome.

And here is a shot of a last-ditch cavalry charge to protect the shiny green table:

gallery_105641_14818_1623249.jpg

There were a lot more rough riders before this photo was taken.

As always, thanks for looking!

• 4 months later...

It's been a while and I definitely have some more substantial posts coming soon but for now, here are a few quick updates:

Here is a shot of some of the boys and my newly-commissioned sentinel commander:

gallery_105641_14818_1860453.jpg

Here is a WIP shot of my Tank Commander. Don't let the tea he's drinking fool you: he's been pretty deadly in every game I've run him in.

gallery_105641_14818_574756.jpg

I need to figure out what I'm doing as far as weathering is concerned. I've held off on weathering most of my Ventrillian units but I think the tank needs some chips and scratches. There are a few red marks on the tank right now, and I'm thinking red primer showing through on some scratches might be a good color to contrast with the blue/grey finish. Thoughts?

My Ventrillian Rogue Trader:

gallery_105641_14818_226375.jpg

A Ventrillian Crusader:

gallery_105641_14818_974346.jpg

And finally, a shot of my warglaive holding the line against a Grey Knight Librarian in a baby carrier. The warglaive ended up one-shotting the Grey Knight in a pretty spectacular overwatch phase.

gallery_105641_14818_1223392.jpg

As always, thanks for reading.

Oh, and I almost didn't post this but I think it's kind of cool.

Here is a bit of terrain I'm currently working on. Ventrillians are supposed to have the nicest things so I figured they could use a fancy arboretum.

gallery_105641_14818_804830.jpg

I obviously need to do a lot of work on this to get it finished but I think it's starting to take shape... I still have to make the trees inside look like they belong, get some pipes/pipe fittings done for the oxygen tanks and then do a ton of painting. That said, I'm probably still going to use it in its current state.

• 8 months later...

Long time no update. I've just been looking at all the great stuff that everyone else has been posting. Good work everyone. Keeping me sane during quarantine. That said, I have been doing a little bit of painting myself. Mostly I've been distracted with other projects but here is a little bit of what I've been up to:

Sentinels! (with magnetized weaponry)

gallery_105641_14818_776234.jpg

And tanks:

gallery_105641_14818_43000.jpg

With the exception of the tank commander on the right, everything here is a rescue buy from a local gaming store flea market. Shamefully, I bought the sentinels a couple of years back and I'm just getting around to painting them. Better late than never I guess! Hopefully 9th will be kinder to them than 7th/8th was.

I'll post some more soon. Thanks for looking!

Definitely worth the wait great work :tu:

My sentinels were in the same boat waited a long time before I decided to build them :sweat:

I had to zoom in on the open top sentinel I thought it was the Donnie Darco rabbit piloting it :lol:

Nice touch with the pilot