Wish Listing Future Black Templars Releases

BloodWolves

I'd think the best way GW would test the waters is do a Kill Team box for Templars. That would be hot. I would get that, as Kill Team is my new go-to.  A new upgrade sprue that's one Primaris compatible and another which updates the classic. Throw in some Moon Base ruins and special KT tactics and you got yourself a best seller. 

There will be a Templar special character for Primaris somewhere down the line, mark my words here and now.

I also would be pleasantly surprised if they tie in some BT updates with the sisters, since they're lore-ishly more closely affiliated with the ecclesiastical part of the storyline now, what with Helbrecht sending crusades to aid Shrine worlds. 

Honestly I’d love to see an Ecclesiarchy codex that includes Templars, Susters, and random Ecclesiarchy stuff (crusaders, scions horde out by the Ecclesiarchy, fanatics, etc.). While we’re not officially a part of the Ecclesiarchy it’s be a neat to set Templars apart and really build us up as wholly different in structure from the other chapters, really focusing on our ad hic squad formation and close range combat (be it with chainsword or flamers and meltas).

Exactly! I don't understand all these complaining threads that keep popping up. We have the most characters in the codex outside of the Ultramarines. We have the most pages of lore. And we're the only second founding, successor chapter with our own unique tactics. And yet every Black Templars forum I'm a part of is like 50% complaining. I think we've got it pretty good! You all feel disappointed because you're expecting unrealistic things. We're not getting a codex. A box set is closer to a possibility but I still doubt it. My big hope is for a primaris upgrade sprue. But not getting one isn't a huge blow to my sense of fun. Keep your expectations reasonable and you'll be happier.

Oh yeah we are having it really good...

My expectations are a decent CT and Primaris lieutenant. Maybe more the miniature than the rules. I think my expectations are reasonable.

i dont think we get this.  Maybe we get our own codex - if we get our own, then a full range of models too. If not, we are nothing special and dont get even one special thing.

Honestly I’d love to see an Ecclesiarchy codex that includes Templars, Susters, and random Ecclesiarchy stuff (crusaders, scions horde out by the Ecclesiarchy, fanatics, etc.). While we’re not officially a part of the Ecclesiarchy it’s be a neat to set Templars apart and really build us up as wholly different in structure from the other chapters, really focusing on our ad hic squad formation and close range combat (be it with chainsword or flamers and meltas).

ohhh yes. I would love that.

• Guilliman gave a specific order to the High Marshal: Shrine World Crusades

i think thats wrong too^^

Guilliman want us to join the crusade but Helbrecht refused. Helbrecht was the one who send the templars to the shrine worlds

Yeah, Helbrecht didn't do anything Guilliman told him to do. He was too hell bent on chasing Ghazkull to join the Indomitus Crusade. It was only when Guilliman reminded him that the Sword of the High Marshals, being Dorn's blade, was broken when Dorn failed to protect the Emperor that Helbrecht realised that the Astartes' role is to protect humanity and he launched the crusades to the Shrine Worlds.

So... Guilliman forced Helbretch with that trick... He gets what he wanted but instead of ordering in a direct manner, he used an indirect one.

I think it wasnt the first time he did that...

So he forced the movement, with a velied order.

hmmm... if we're going with expectations on what Templars might get if they get a new boxset of some sorts, these would be my input...

Solo box-set, similar to Army Starters or Kill-team:

A Primaris Squad with upgrade parts to turn them into Templars (Tabards, Helms, ornaments), but no weapon options to turn them into Crusaders, just ornamental +1 bolters and possibly a CC weapon with Templar design for the Primaris Sergeant, but a Templar specific unique model for the Lieutenant/Castellan and a new terrain kit thrown in for you to take pictures with...

A dual release box set similar to Know no Fear or First Strike:

Similar to the contents above, with the addition of maybe the Primaris Dreadnought having options to make it more Templar-like in design, and new Ork miniatures composed of Super-Orks that have survived the Octarian Wars against the Tyranids or some other lore similar... but bigger badder Orks to fight against nobler, stronger Marines... you know the gist... sell toys...

A new combined arms box set, similar to big starter box sets or a Necromunda big collection box featuring Templars and Ecclesiarchy:

This would be interesting, it would be a combined arms box set, but I think the general contents would just be similar to the first one I've said, with the addition of new Sisters plastic models, and a new Ecclesiarchy character... maybe someone rebelling against Guilliman's would-be attempt to cull the religious spread of the creed and has backing of two of the most religious forces in the Imperium of Man...

These would be what I would expect from new boxsets... but they aren't what I would be wishlisting... those would be on a totally different vein, and albeit would be somewhat simpler... but I can only wish for better rules, less disappointment and the hope that Space Marines stop being a third tier level army unless you're running Guilliman and his line-backer Razorbacks with Primaris tanks and/or flyer bonanza...

With the announcement and leak of Orks and Speed Freeks.. it kinda lowers the idea of a Black Templars vs Orks Campaign set (Although, if some can remember, The Codex Armageddon did have an entry about Orks and the Speed Freeks) I was riding on the hope that because GW has been on a nostalgia run this year.. that maybe a new "Codex Armageddon" would be an idea. Similar-ish to Tooth and Claw but it would have..

A new Dedicated Primaris Transport

vs

Redemptor Dreadnought

5 BT Intercessors + 5 New Melee Primaris

Vs

5 SW Intercessors + 3 SW Aggressors

Primaris Castellan (Lieutenant) +/or Primaris Emperors Champion

Vs

Space Wolf Battle Leader

+ New Black Templars Primaris Chapter Upgrades

Vs

Various Orks and their new upgrades.

With this release would be an Index for the Black Templars and also if released in Late October it would be a good way to tease the upcoming Sisters of Battle and Ecclesiarchy* releases in the new year.

Oh well.. maybe next year!

Matt Hutson was the GW staffer that played the Black Templars back in 3rd edition.

gallery_26_7488_272080.png

gallery_26_7488_536117.png

However, there have been WD/GW staffers that have collected and played the Black Templars in every edition through to the present.

The challenge that the Black Templars face is that they are simply one facet of an overarching faction, the Adeptus Astartes. You can only have so many frontmen for a faction, and the Adeptus Astartes are further complicated by the Deathwatch and Grey Knights, both of which are far more distinctive. So GW has to prioritize, and they've apparently prioritized the "Big 4" from 2nd edition - Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. A big problem we had back in 3rd/4th edition was GW coming up with a broader range of special rules for many Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes via codex supplements and Index Astartes articles. The Black Templars were created in this environment, and that colored players' views on what the Black Templars should be. When GW reined things in, all of the non-Big 4 Chapters felt the pain of streamlining. Objectively, the Black Templars have retained more distinctiveness than any of the non-Big 4 Chapters in that they have more special characters and a unique unit. Arguably (and it's difficult to refute the argument), the Black Templars are the most popular of the non-Big 4 Chapters.

All that said, as has been pointed out, the Black Templars have received more (non-FW) support than any other [non-Big 4] Chapter. And they continue to be a Chapter that appears in the lore and novels. I'm skeptical of any doomsaying to the effect that the Black Templars will lose their distinctiveness in the future, and I'm equally skeptical that the Black Templars won't be given additional support in the future. I doubt we'll see as much as some players would like, but all the evidence so far supports Games Workshop giving a little loving to the Black Templars for the foreseeable future.

Few years ago, I would have agreed with most of you, saying there is no hope of a future release.

However, with the announced release of Battle sisters, and looking back with releases of Genestealers Cults, Deathwatch, Arlequins etc very small factions who had no chances to get models, I would say now we have a chance to see new BT models. 

I think a primaris upgrade sprue would be the least we can expect, but not before there are Close combat primaris.

There are plenty of fluff possibilities to see our return: Armaggedon, Ghazgkull, a campaign with Battle sisters and Ecclesiarchy, the release of Rogal Dorn, new primaris orks ...

GW sees on the long term. Just for the example: I believe the release of Saint Celestine was a test for GW to see if a Battle Sisters reboot was worth it. We are still present in the fluff, and I think the religious aspect of our chapter is a good thing to keep us different from others vanilla chapters which may justify new models in the future. 

I think Matt Hudson still has a sizeable Crusade, of course we also have an ally in Maxime Corbeil, who plays Templars and is one of the miniatures designers. His fave model of all time is the Emperor's Champion, so who knows if he will want to emulate it. (The second version, not the original.)

Well all that.. I think the Black Templars earned it. Especially the players, I dont think theres more vocal players other than the Space Wolves that really helped pushed the Black Templars into things. Its the same reason of why the Imperial Fists never took off or the Crimson Fists has a short bit of fame. Every first founding chapter at one point had a test to see if they could be the next "Chapter". But I think its because the Black Templar Characters are awe inspiring. I was watching the live stream with Richard Boylan who has created the best fan made animation of 40k to date and he said its because the Templars and Helsreach was a great story. I think to books like The Glorious Tomb.. how gut wrenching the ending was. In comparison, before rhe whole Helbrect and Guilliman chat.. the Templars were like a Stone Cold Steve Austin who told people to shove it and they do as they wish. Its great stories and characters that make the chapter great. Imagine if we did get new things, the stories would be incredible.. such as the First Primaris Emperors Champion, new roles and titles. Even I felt the draw to them, First thinking Space Wolves were great (hence the screenname), then Blood Angels, then I got Roboute and thought Ultramarines were the way to go.. but I read Helsreach and thats what pulled me into the crusade. Im sure all of you have a unique story of why you picked the Templars despite not being 1 of the big 4.

Anyway, what would you like to see in an Upgrade Sprue?

I’ll just repeat what I have said in the past. The most simple fixes for restoration of flavor for Black Templars in orders of likelywood;

1) Honor Gaurd being given a squad size of 2-10, so we can use them as Sword Brothern

2) Letting Black Templars Armies Nominate a Model with CHAMPION Keyword as Second ‘Warlord’.

3) Warlord trait that buffs models with Power Weapons (for example a model fighting with a MELEE Weapon with an AP of -1 it more may fight an additional time with that weapon)

4) A second relic because we cannot use Tomb of Malador. Holy Hand Grenade be the perfect one for that

5) Reintroduction of Biker Crusaders, whom can take Power Weapons instead of Specials and able to include Scout Bikers

6) Letting us include Primaris models in Crusader squad.

7) Rules for Castallen Draco, Neophyte Ancient and maybe Almerich

8) A strategem to replace empiric channeling. I think a strategem letting a BT Model Armed Hurricane Bolter shoot said hurricane bolters in Melee would be a solid fix

9) A Rules for Durandal. Read options to replace a regular/Ven Dreads Shooty Arm with a 2nd DCCW (granting an extra attack or reroll) or being able to replace either of its arms with Hurricane Bolters

We really don’t need anything else, but that not topic of the thread. If we got anything model wise, here what I think we should get model wise;

1) An upgrade kit that fits with new Intercessor and Tactical Kits. That is bundled with said kits

2) Revamped Helbrect Model

3) Primaris Castallen given patterns CombiMelta is likely (two of our unique sculpts come with combi-Melta. Draco and Helbrect) or Power Sword

4) Revamped Helbrect Model

5) New Neophyte (Scout) Models

6) Did I mention revamped Helbrect?

In all honestly? Model range, Helbrect aside, we are in a pretty solid place. Our upgrade sprew is solid and I would a second small one to be desgined for Primaris (read Tabard) but otherwise minor shaving aside, I wouldn’t want to lose for GW’s newest style of upgrade kits. Like what we more need is more units that reinforce an identity on the tableboard.

Yes.. i thought I wrote something about the Space Wolves or something. I thought I was going crazy. But speaking of crazy.. maybe its some of you or maybe others but some Black Templar players on the GW FB page and SW/ Black Templars pages are losing it. I think some of those comments would get my attention if I was GW. Sheeeesh..

But I didn't think what I posted before was offensive, hate inspiring or vulgar.

I just said that I guess some Space Wolves are going to look like the Black Templars.. like alot.

Thinking realistically, unless we feature heavily on a warzone campaign, we will get jack:cuss.

Onetruezon seems positive that we will have a Lieutenant miniature, and for real, just that would give another look to a small force of primaris.

So I will hang to his prediction like a rat on a raft.

Comments were hidden because they were off topic. Furthermore we are not here to whine about the SW dex and what they got(are getting). It's not constructive and serves no purpose other than to inflame others. 

I would want,

Jetbikes/Repulsor bikes

marines riding them have melta lances/powerlances

A new Emperors Champion, updated, maybe with a teleport "shunt" that the grey knights have?

Knights:

REpulsor man portable combat shield

with swords/halberds.

-strategem with a 5+ unit of repulsor sheilds called "sheild wall" where they get treated as terrain for that phase.

a strategem when allied with space wolves

"Knight and the Hound"

- space wolves and enemy unit roll a moral roll. if space wolves win, then the enemy must move the space wolves charge roll distance towards the nearest templars.

- represents the wolves funneling the prey to the templars.

Give me an upgrade sprue with some tabards, a few chained boltguns, and the obligatory Lieutenant model and I'll be golden.  As much as I would like more our fate is tied to C: SM now, and I'll only expect stat and minor rules changes for the sake of my sanity.  

Archived