A Skjald´s tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Guys... I´m thinking about going balls out on the idea of Ashes of Prospero and make a mega diorama with Arjac, Njal and Bjorn:

A6uJCqG.jpg

Would buy the duel base from FW and adapt it so they all fit together seamlessly!

Also, what do you think in the reposing of Nightwing (Njal's cyber raven)? I think it gives more balance to the mini and it looks like he's staring in awe at the powers of his master!! Also, remember there will be spirit ravens summoned from the spell rather than the demon head as soon as I get my hands on them!

d9otHkl.jpg

oh3jDnb.jpg

3gpbMCY.jpg

jizgeHq.jpg

Edited by Grieux

Thanks mate! Will think about the wolf tail dangling!

It was the Raven! I couldn't tell what it was from that angle, I think the adjustment you've made works well, it's really starting to come together!

Looks like I'll have to resort to fouler and fouler magics to counter these heroes of Fenris.....

Edited by Lord Commander Eidolon

It looks good, 

You are getting close to the point that Njal, is going to be overloaded with details, especially in the upper body

There is an awful lot going on. Big staff big claw, big pelt, big daemon effect.....

Its almost a shame that you cpould not get the flying hawk from the White Scar Deathwatch biker and convert that to Nightwing. You could then either add it to th base as if flying beside Njjal or about to land on him or do a separate base and have Nightwing alongside Njal.

Looks good but almost at the point of being too busy visually, however with your skills, I reckon yo can pull it off

It looks good,

You are getting close to the point that Njal, is going to be overloaded with details, especially in the upper body

There is an awful lot going on. Big staff big claw, big pelt, big daemon effect.....

Its almost a shame that you cpould not get the flying hawk from the White Scar Deathwatch biker and convert that to Nightwing. You could then either add it to th base as if flying beside Njjal or about to land on him or do a separate base and have Nightwing alongside Njal.

Looks good but almost at the point of being too busy visually, however with your skills, I reckon yo can pull it off

Thank you for the feedback man. The more I look at it the more I think you're right. I'm going to test having the raven perched on some ruins on the base.

Of course that might lead me to rethink the position of the wolf pelt on top and I might implement a solution I always wanted but didn't due to cost...

So I prefer much the option you suggested. Just finished doing a study on composition:

LVKTtnr.jpg

You'll note I removed the wolf pelt. That is because I might or might not have acquired a better option to replicate Horus cloak. Next update will have the conversion 100% done, can't wait for the bits!

These look absolutely epic, especially in this last pic. Great composition. Love the Raven too.

Well done Grieux you really put in a ton of effort. I'm very glad to see the result is worth it on our strange hobby scales that we use to judge such things anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Managed to do great progress during the blackout and today finished the last details and tried my mini lightbox studio from green stuff world.

Finally opted to do a display diorama for my two heroes that matched the gravitas of the story they're based on: Ashes of Prospero.

outBqpG.jpg

DKRNnyb.jpg

h7oBFje.jpg

g6Huwhk.jpg

kIchEaH.jpg

Both have detachable scenic bases for gaming just like in the FW character series.

Bits used in Njal:

-Traitor librarian cloak, torso, grimoire and arms

-Varagyr legs and pauldrons

-Kfstudio loin pelt

-Cataphractii praetor belt

-Head from FW SW terminator upgrade kit

-Wolf pelt from the Warmaster himself, Horus Lupercal

-Flying ravens from beasts of chaos endless spells

-Staff and cyber raven from Njal

-Base from Constantin Valdor

Bits used in Arjac:

-Torso, arms and legs from cataphractii praetor (had to buy two of them to modify the torso vs. legs position and scrap 1/2 of each miniature)

-Cape made out of 2 Kfstudio cloaks

-Loin pelt made with Kfstudio bits around the dremeled area of silly FW pelt

-Shield from grey slayers kit

-Head and hammer from Arjac

-Base from Jenetia Krole

Bits on scenic base:

-Constantin Valdor scenic base

-Erebus and Kor Phaeron scenic base to merge Krole's base with Valdor's

-Broken helm from the new moritat kit

Edited by Grieux

Superb work my friend! You've really outdone yourself! That looks like it could be an official kit!!

You've really captured a lot of the character of both characters with the conversion, Njal in particular is spectacular! I'm going to have to read Ashes of Prospero now on the strength of you work!

I've got a few more Emperors Children to do, then I'll get cracking on some Thousand Sons to smite your filthy dogs....

• 2 months later...

Boy it's been a while.

Happy new year and with 2019 seems the hobby mojo came back.

This time it was turn to build one of the space wolves most iconic units, the wulfen. Despite liking the sculpts, I had some issues with the pack leader: pose is horrible and it's not distinct from the rest.

So being the special snowflake I am I decided to make a leader that tells a bit more of a story: the story of a marine slowly losing his humanity but refusing to give in completely, too far gone to be with his brothers but sane enough to keep his more feral brethren in check. Ashamed from his destiny, he cloaks himself in dark robes and a death mask helmet:

D5VwSoV.jpg

O3O0GIR.jpg

V8Oa15K.jpg

IJlSsGg.jpg

Still need to finish sculpting the conversion but you get the jist!

Your Wulfen Wolf Priest is well-assembled and posed. Will his armor be black, like that of a vanilla Wolf Priest (or Chaplain, whose duties a Wolf Priest performs)? Or will you paint him a different color, to distinguish him from a Wolf Priest?

I was planning to paint him with the standard GW wulfen scheme (albeit with my own heresy grey) but with the cloak dark, weathered and ragged.

So glad you noticed his resemblance to a wolf Priest. Originally I was thinking of making him represent a wulfen wolf Priest with jump pack and power fist but the more I thought about it the more it was deviating too much from wiswig.

So he was a wolf Priest alright but after the curse took him he leads the rest of the wulfen of my company as it's spiritual leader, being perfectly wiswig.

Edited by Grieux

Back with a bang eh matey!

Awesome stuff, a really great model, excellent kit bashing. He really looks the part and love backstory. Not a fan of the updated Wulfen, especially the leader, but you've salvaged him!

Hopefully you'll pick up Harvl! The bare resin model looks pretty good!!

• 6 months later...

There is so much Awesomesauce in this Thread. Makes me wann eat my Brushes and Tools. Using the new Kinght Legs is an inspired Idea. Wished I hadn`t run out of Likes.

Thank you so much mate! I'm doing good progress in building the remainder of the WIP so hope to be able to post them soon and get painting!

Thanks guys much obliged!

Fantastic work brother. Just a question, are the Chaos Knights legs posable or just a different pose?

Thank you buddy, they're just a different pose, it looks pretty hard to modify too since they're all one piece and you should cut and re position 3 joints per leg.

I've been working and building so far but the armigers are standard so nothing to see. One of the two conversions I've been working on is my true scale Bjorn, since I changed direction from the original intent of using a redemptor body. Whilst I liked the results, the size difference was just too much to justify using it in game without any challenges.

So I went back to the drawing board to see how could I true scale Bjorn whilst leaving it proportional to the other Dreadnought classes.

And the answer came from the warhounds from titanicus.

pdYSUjO.jpg

zuykf50.jpg

I feel like giving it decently sized legs adds to it's presence and height without bringing it out of the range of how big a castaferrum is. What do you think guys?

Edited by Jackalwolf