Ultramarines W.I.P.

Axineton

Just got back from my second game. Played a guy who was using Dark Angels. I got my :censored: kicked and ended up losing 5vp to 1. I don't mind, it is only a game after all! I was laughing at how my dice rolls tonight were abysmal. he kept apololgising but I said don't worry mate I'm having fun. Got a few pics but not sure whats going on here as I was trying to concentrate.  I conceded defeat on turn 4 as I only had 2 squads of intercessors on the table and two hellblasters. My opponent only lost 5 bikes and a landspeeder and 2 scouts :confused:

But like I said. I don't mind as I'm learning and having fun.

3oDdSd8l.jpg

My Techmarine was taken out on turn 2 by Sammael! (I hate Sammael now!!)

wKNxqUUl.jpg

Terminator Assault Squad was decimated after 3 turns by assault bikes and some scouts!!

939fZMkl.jpg

Stormraven was useless as I tried flanking the Land Raider and Hellblaster squad. It was destroyed on turn 3

EkUJJEZl.jpg

It's only the second game and against a more experienced player. At that point level you start to see more synergy amongst units in armies.

How did you deploy and what moves did you make in the early turns?

It's only the second game and against a more experienced player. At that point level you start to see more synergy amongst units in armies.

How did you deploy and what moves did you make in the early turns?

Well I still have no clue on deployment strategies etc so I stuck my raven in the right side of the table. The repulsor, Techmarine and primaris librarian right in the middle. A squad of hellblasters and a squad of intercessors on the right between the repulsor and raven. My redemptor was also on the right side. And finally a 10 man squad of intercessors on the far left along with a squad of assault terminators.

He killed my librarian on turn 1 lol! I couldn’t believe it. A couple of the other guys said to him you don’t beat a noob on his second game but I said it’s cool your not driving me away that easy.

He did give me a few tips after the game and to be honest he was a top bloke.

I think you have the right attitude about it.

Although I have to wonder what kind of 'top bloke' would not warn a brand new player about guarding characters against giving up easy kills. Typically without special wargear/strategems/ etc, it should be very hard for you to lose an infantry character that soon.

At first I would recommend you play a bit conservative until you get a real feel for how squads can act independently. After a while you'll know what you can bite off with individual units, and what works best with support.

For now remember your aura's, and let them keep your stuff empowered. The Dark Angels do have an incredible advantage with Plasma/Hellbasters, combined with their Plasma strategem, and re-rolling 1's if they don't move (makes it hard for them to die to an overheat).

I would say typically it's very hard for Ultra's to win a 'plasma/Hellblaster' duel all things being equal. 

It doesn't sound like his list was anything mega hard though, it seems to me it's largely fluffy, and using some decent, well rounded units. 

Again it sounds like you have the right idea and I'm sure you'll be giving it back to him in no time. :TU:

I would deploy the Hellblasters inside the Repulsor to keep them safe until they can rapid fire a key target.

Typically it's best to do so unless it's really advantageous for you to have them attack sooner.

It's also worth nominating one of your models to be a Captain as the re roll aura is very worthwhile. In bigger games you can use Guilliman himself but I wouldn't run him below 2k.

Did you deploy the Terminators and chaplain inside the Raven? They are a slow unit that can take a strong hit but won't last against large dice volumes. Teleporting them in could leave them stranded - I noticed in the picture that there was some distance between them and enemy units. The Raven could deliver them to the enemy whilst also supporting them with firepower.

Prot he was using stratagems and me I’d never even thought about them and I’ve honestly not read which ones I should be using so I didn’t know about them essentially.

Ishagu, I didn’t think about deploying any minis in any of the vehicles at all lol!

I’ll learn all this properly and once I do I’ll whoop him next time.

Yeah it's worthwhile to do so. The vehicles both deliver the units faster and keep them safe.

I typically put 5 Intercessors and 5 Hellblasters in a Repulsor,or some Hellblasters and a Captain.

Your opponents should talk you through deployment.

The first 3/5 games should be fun learning experiences where the objective isn't to win but just to grasp positioning, tactics and rules.

Your opponents should talk you through deployment.

The first 3/5 games should be fun learning experiences where the objective isn't to win but just to grasp positioning, tactics and rules.

If I ever get to the state of showing people how to play one day I’ll be doing this I think.

• 2 months later...

Third game of 40k tomorrow after playing Kill Team since September. Going for a 1750 points game. I'm up against the player with the Dark Angels again!! I've beaten him twice at kill team now and hopefully I can beat him tomorrow with my Ultras. I'm also going to add my Knight I won a few months back to my army as a freeblade.

On battlescribe there is no option to add mixed armies etc so would I just do two lists?

The Knight is costing around 432 461 points so I have 1318 1289 left to play with.

So can I run the Knight as a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment and my Lord of War?

Then add a Battalion Detachment?

You can run the Knight and a separate Ultras Battalion. I wouldn't run Guilliman as well because it would limit the number of units you have available.

What's the Knight's configuration?

Yeah I was thinking either G’man or knight and want to go with knight just to see how it plays.

It’s equipped with: Avenger Gatling cannon with heavy flamer, thunderstrike gauntlet, stormspear missile pod and a heavy stubber.

That's a pretty good loadout. It works well if you make the Knight a character to grant him a 4++ that you can make into a 3++ and also give him the relic gauntlet which does 8 flat damage.

If you run him this way he's resilient and a great distraction. From then on you can bring some ranged anti tank with the Repulsor and Raven, and have infantry to deal with troops.

That's a pretty good loadout. It works well if you make the Knight a character to grant him a 4++ that you can make into a 3++ and also give him the relic gauntlet which does 8 flat damage.

If you run him this way he's resilient and a great distraction. From then on you can bring some ranged anti tank with the Repulsor and Raven, and have infantry to deal with troops.

Is that the Ion Bulwark warlord trait for the 4++ and the paragon gauntlet for the 8 damage? Sorry Ishagu I'm still new to all this and get confused with so many rules and things here.

Yeah it's the Warlord trait, and there's a strategem called rotate ion shields that improves it by 1 again.

There is a gauntlet which is 8 Damage flat and doesn't have a -1 to hit which is very useful as a relic.

It's a shame that you're not playing with Chapter Approved updates released this Sat as it would save you loads of points.

Run your Librarian as Tiggy. Put Hellblasters inside the Repulsor. Tiggy can give the tank an extra toughness using might of heroes and give it a -1 to hit defence that would vastly increase it's survivability.

Stock up on cheap troops (Intercessors, Scouts), a second cheap HQ and see of you can fit the Raven in lol

If you can't fit the Raven in go with as many bodies as possible.

Chapter Approved is out on Sat and many of the units you have will be reduced in points significantly, allowing you to run a bigger army within the 1750/2k games.

Game was called off after two turns due to my opponent getting a family emergency. I did manage to take out about 10 of his twenty hellblasters and 6 of his heavy plasma cannon dudes he had. Also killed one of his three ravenwing bikes and 3 or 4 scouts and managed to get Sammael down to 1 wound as well if I remember correctly.

He took out 8 intercessors from two squads. In turn two he also took out my deep strike inceptors and got my knight down to 3 wounds in two turns!! All done with his plasma spam! Lol.

Arranging another game for next week and a different opponent who I think runs tau Imperial Knights or Death Guard but I’ll have to check on that.

Your armies look great. And I still love that freehand on the Knight shoulder pad! :thumbsup:

Thanks Prot. Do you know what I'm not sure that is a freehand on that knight. I think its pictures thats been cut out in the shape of the pads and stuck on each pad but I can't be 100% certain.

Archived