Your Unforgiven Heroes

Hantheman

Inspired by my game last night, I want to hear about your troops who, in true Dark Angel's style, overcame the odds and win minor (or major) victories on the battlefield.

Yesterday, Azrael deployed down with Ravenwing support after being refused access to a excavation site with possible Dark Angel relics. The problem? The Imperial guard. Conscripts, Leman Russes and Basilisks faced off against the black knights, hellblasters and scouts with Sammael and Azrael guiding them. Despite all the well established heroes taking to the ground one set of troops stood out as the true heroes. A squad of combat knives scouts who infiltrated deep into no mans land and managed to charge a group of sentinels first turn. They, with their knives, spent the whose battle toe to toe with them and ended up killing two of the three and seriously wounding the third whilst surviving themselves. They must have managed to slide the knives between the sheets of armour and get access to the electrical innards of the walkers to take them down. Truly heroic. This allowed the right flank to sweep around with the black knights, taking out their armour and securing victory for the Unforgiven.

They have earned a full paint job for sure.

I have two that immediately come to mind, both from 7th Edition.

3rd Company Dark Master kronos Nightshade found himself in combat with an Eldar Autarch when Eldar were the definition of Meta.Except for all the trickery of the Xenos, the Eldar was felled by one swing of Master Nightshade's Mace Sword of Redemption. There was then a running joke that the Eldar may be Meta, but my Dark Master was stronger still.

Second was the Sergeant of my Veteran Squad. Armed with a Power fist and Storm Shield he weathered over 20 wounds delivered from 3 Leman Russ Battle Tanks. Rolled one at a time, his shield and his faith never broke. However after standing against such brutal firepower of battle cannon, heavy bolter and lascannon he was felled by a humble laspistol fired by a Guardsman.

It was in early 6th edition, I used recently bought DV Dark Angels with some scouts, dreadnought and devastators. I played against quite strong ork list.

My squad of veterans with Company Master got charged by 10-man nob squad and a warboss. Warboss accepted Master's challenge. I lost all vets, managed to kill 2 nobz, while Master and Warboss were locked in combat. Master saved 6 power klaw wounds with 4++ save during three combat rounds, and nobz couldn't hit him cause of old challenge rules. At the fourth round Warboss missed all his attacks, and Master got one wound on him, orks failed morale test and were cut down by sweeping advance.

Last game against my friends Dark Eldar with eldar splash.

The splash was 2 psykers and an avatar of khaine.

The avatar killed my wolf lord with a well aimed melta shot, and my master on jump pack didn't like it even though it was a wolf.

So he charged the avatar, and killed him with his hammer without problems.

But then, after a moment he saw that the avatar was rebuilding itself! ( my friend used a stratagem that brings the avatar back with d6 wounds).

The avatar got up and smashed my smash master!

But with his last breath my brave warlord found the emperors strenght in him and cracked the skull of this reawaken monster for the second time! (Only in death does duty end).

It was such an epic moment that we paused the game and just stared in awe at the space where those characters fought.

So much epicness in this thread. I'll bite...

My unsung hero has to be my ravenwing banner bearer. In the days of 7th when standard bearers were part of command squads, and wraithknights ruled the tabletop, my ravenwing banner bearer with a grenade launcher killed two wraithknights - one with his grenade launcher, and one in glorious combat with his Corvus hammer. A truly epic moment that will live on through the ages

I had a doubles tournament yesterday which I lost win the last round (taking us from 1st to 4th, gutting!) but  our fairly good list came up against a terrifying baneblade/cultist combo. But one star was my Dark Talon who took 6 wounds after we were seized, but then advanced with speed of the raven, killed some chaff and then took an entire round of shooting from a Shadowsword and command tank and survived, only to die to krak grenade. But in doing so blew up and killed their HQ.

I’ve got a couple of stories for you:

First of all, back in the glorious days of re-roll jink saves my 5 man black knight squad came rolling in from the left flank and failed their charge against a squad of grey knights. In the following turn they weathered the combined firepower of my opponents entire leman Russ force. 80 punisher shots, two battle cannons, assorted heavy bolters, and the grey knights storm bolters thanks to the re-roll jink and feel no pain. The grey knights then charged them, only to be gunned down in over watch by some incredibly lucky plasma talon shooting. They then completed their run of awesomeness by charging a squad of grey knight terminators and wiping them out. This was the only game I won against that opponent all edition.

The second tale comes from a narrative campaign where we used the heralds of ruin rules to create some awesome special characters. One of these was a veteran sargeant armed with two lightening claws. In his first game he slaughtered so many zombies that he earned an upgrade which was, obviously, the ability to shoot twice in the shooting phase.... handy as hell for a dude with no guns... but he did have krak grenades...

He went on to kill a demon prince, a vindicator, and some big wibbly thing that I have no idea what it was supposed to be, all with krak grenades. And as for his claws, I think he killed two cultists with those.

• 2 weeks later...

A new mission, a new hero arises for the Lion.

Yarael, the librarian biker attached to Sammael's second company, showed his worth against a defensive Tau force. Whilst the Black Knights and Talonmaster with Sammael's support roared forward, Yarael did the quiet but impressive job of single handedly taking a Riptide effectively out of the fight. First he tore through his mind's protections and wiped his memory, making him less effective in combat and then cast a cloud of doubt over him making him even worse, a BS6 riptide is almost worthless. Then to add insult to injury the next round Yarael sacrificed his own health to take 6 wounds off him with a super smite. This left the Tau immobile and easy pickings for the Ravenwing.

• 2 weeks later...

On assault marine st back whenever going to ground gave you a 6++. Anyway, he was the unit a dev squad could see. (My bad positioning, and a telling sign of how few models I had.) 3 lascannon wounds and 2 bolter wounds later, the proud stood up having made 3 6 ups and 2 3 ups!

Next turn he didn't do much (recovering from being blinded by heavy weapons) but he remembered what those devs in the ruins on an objective had tried to do.

Well, the next turn my opponent cleared a backfield rhino with the dev squad, and left my sgt unmolested. With a soaring leap and a wail of rage he took to the air to land amongst his would be killers... and failed a dangerous terrain check... and I lost. But for one brief moment triple 6s brought him glory

Archived