How big of a case do I need?

antique_nova

What kind of case can transport:

77x 25mm round based models

3x 60mm round based daemon princes

9x 40mm round based models?

I'm trying to look for the most compact single case to transport these.

I wasn't sure if this belongs in the painting/modelling section, because it's not exactly to do with that, but if it is, can a mod please move it to that area.

Most manufacturers of army transport solutions have foam trays in various layouts.

A pretty common standard layout is having a tray with a grid of rectangular or wedge shaped holes of [basesize] in height (depth) and a width of [basesize] and a length of [whatever is a good average for the height of models with that basesize], e.g. 25mm high tray with a 9x4 grid of 25mm by 40mm holes could store 36 guardsman sized models on 25mm bases. Do note that most foam trays are ~10mm higher than that due to the bottom glued on.

Some models are much smaller and could fit smaller holes (e.g. ratlings, dwarfs), some models are much larger and might need larger holes or a hole made for them (e.g. monsters with extended arms, sergeants with banners, cavalry with lances).

Most manufacturers also sell foam trays with mixed layouts.

Many also sell pluck or raster foam trays - basically, a tray with perforated foam which can be cut and taken out in small increments, allowing the creation of custom shapes.

Many manufacturers sell special trays which fit a mix of models from a certain game system - if you build all such models in exactly the same pose they come in.

Some manufacturers even do completely custom layouts for a higher price.

As for the smallest case fitting your army, you'll need to play around with pen & paper, measure the heights (and size) of all models and try and choose trays from a manufacturer with enough holes to fit all models.

E.g.

I've got an imperial guard Astra Militarum army, so my models are mostly guardsmen (about 25x25x32mm) which fit perfectly into the aforementioned 25mm tray with 36 holes (I'm going with 3x9 soldiers, 3x1 sergeant, 3x1 special weapon and 3x characters (e.g. comissar, company commander, ...)). Multiples ofc because there's a lot of guardsmen to store. This type of tray fits most infantry models for this army, except the banner bearer, for which I cut out one of the foam walls to connect two of the holes.

Heavy weapons teams are on 60mm bases and have a gun sticking out one side, so I went with 80mm high pluckfoam for them, making 3 long holes and using leftover foam to separate each HWT. The HWTs are stacked vertically along the length of the foam (e.g. if I stood the foam upright on the short edge, the HWTs would be upright in normal orientation - if they wouldn't fall out of course :smile.: ). I went a similar route for sentinels (walkers on 60mm base w/gun sticking out). Then I used leftover foam to create a top for the tray. (Some manufacturers sell foam trays with teardrop shaped holes for this kind of model *shrugs*)

Vehicles in this army are mostly based on the chimera chassis - so I went with 60mm high pluck foam which fits the height of a chimera without turret. The turrets got some holes built on the same tray, using leftover foam for dividers again. This took some planning, putting models on the foam, planning some more and rearanging before I decided on how to fit the tanks.

My Vulture (flyer) is still unassembled since I didn't get around to grab magnets yet - a model of such large size is best stored in parts. This will probably be the model requiring the most space.

Being an AM army, this is a bit of an extreme example - lower model count armies can get away with less foam.

Kaiser Rushforth (KR cases) will give you suggestions for that specific list if you email them directly. They've been very helpful to me in the past.

Do they email back quite quickly or after a few days? Because I emailed them this morning and still waiting on a reply.

Archived