Traitor Questoris and Thousand Sons

Prot

I'm just putting this up here as food for thought....

I ran into a real roadblock with repetition and a bit of a brick wall with Thousand Sons for a while, and wasn't really a fan of the overall direction of the new codex. (Specifically the push to incorporate AoS goats into 40K as an easy way to 'update' the book while leaving real work, and appropriate units off the table; like the much desired "Sorc-Hellbrute" for example.)

I had found that not wanting to use a lot of daemonic engines left the lists very one dimensional and easily overwhelmed by any super duper, ranged, elite list killer.... Astra, Tau,... heck a lot of middle of the road stuff.

I started using new Knights the moment they came out. I found a lot of the top units too strong for every day play. I pulled my House Raven list off of anything but the most competitive play lists. And even with Forgebane I tried the original Warglaives to mediocre success.

But now with the point costs trimmed down I've been using Helverins and Warglaives, in pairs, in a super heavy detachment.... it's made a world of difference while placing the lists right in the middle of the competitive arena. The Knights help a lot with the inherent issues of the codex, while not making it too strong with Castellan type units. I highly recommend this if you haven't tried it. They are like super-dreadnoughts really, without going over the top. Has anyone else tried them with their Thousand Sons?

I have a pair of each on the workbench. Looking forward to having them done although I’m struggling with how rebel to make them look.

I don’t think I’ll have the command points to take advantage of the rerolls stratagem but 8d3 shots from each pair looks irresistible.

Prot, how did you paint/model your models?

No but i really want the new Helverins, like 4 of them. I have never really thought about the warglaives but they do have that melta right? That could be useful in a pair.

There's no doubt in competitive play the Helverin gets more play. BUT the Warglaives Melta-spear, reduced cost, and Chainsword attacks are no slouch and I find they help Thousand Sons a fair amount.

I have a pair of each on the workbench. Looking forward to having them done although I’m struggling with how rebel to make them look.

I don’t think I’ll have the command points to take advantage of the rerolls stratagem but 8d3 shots from each pair looks irresistible.

Prot, how did you paint/model your models?

I really don't use much (if any) command points on the Knights. I actually treat them like super-dreadnaughts... perhaps guided by Ahriman and the Cabal.

As far as models, I haven't painted new ones. I am using my  House Raven stand ins right now as I keep experimenting with this. I'm actively painting my Thousand Sons Kill-Team so it will probably be a while before I can get some of that Thousand Sons' Blue on some Knights. :D

Thanks for the response.

I decided to use a different paint scheme since it’s a different detachment. I’m not up on the House thing, but struggling to denote these are corrupted models using a power that may more effectively hide their true allegiance. I’ll likely slap some decals on them and call it a day.

I’m leaning towards dropping my scarab occult units to fit them in to a 2k list. Any thoughts on what to give up?

Thanks for the response.

I decided to use a different paint scheme since it’s a different detachment. I’m not up on the House thing, but struggling to denote these are corrupted models using a power that may more effectively hide their true allegiance. I’ll likely slap some decals on them and call it a day.

I’m leaning towards dropping my scarab occult units to fit them in to a 2k list. Any thoughts on what to give up?

I kept 5 Scarab Occult. I basically dropped anything that would be classified as: A

What are you running them with Prot?

Well if I understand what you're asking.. they really don't have much for options. I keep Heavy Stubbers on top to keep them cheaper, and the rest you are stuck with the configuration of the model which really doesn't have options for the arms as far as I know. So 2 Helverins (autocannons) and 2 Warglaives (Meltaspear and chainswords).

What are you running them with Prot?

Well if I understand what you're asking.. they really don't have much for options. I keep Heavy Stubbers on top to keep them cheaper, and the rest you are stuck with the configuration of the model which really doesn't have options for the arms as far as I know. So 2 Helverins (autocannons) and 2 Warglaives (Meltaspear and chainswords).

No, sorry, I meant "What is the Thousand Sons part of the army that you are reinforcing made up of?"

I'm still trying to get the whole traitor thing figured out, so I am literally stuck on:

1.) Get 2 armigers

2.) Get 2 helverins

3.) ???

4.) Profit!

It's terribly vexing, Prot!!   :ermm::confused: 

@Prot, thanks for the response thats what

I thought.

Thanks for the response.

I plan on having a knight detachment/army. My plan is to purposefully keep it ambiguous with the exception of a gaudy paint scheme so i can run them as both traitor and loyalists.

I have a bunch of Knights, but have yet to field them alongside my Thousand Sons. I plan to, eventually, but as of now I'm still trying to get a better handle on Thousand Sons themselves. I do think they'll be better than Helbrutes for us.

Prot!!

Why have you forsaken us with your list building skills??

I'm not giving you my lists. :)

They are crud I throw together anyway. I literally play what I have right now and see how far I can push it. They're pretty much boring sacks of staple units... Cultists, Scarab Occult, Rubrics, Tzaangors (no more goats than that though for me.)

I slam 5 Spawns into my opponents and use that Spawn strat all the time. They are steered by Ahriman. I let the Knights do a lot of the work.

Have fun with it. I have no magic sauce for you.... there's a lot of stuff you can play with in Thousand Sons, but inevitably there's a very, very small handful of units that really function well. You'll see that's why the list reviews are super light for Thousand Sons. There's Magnus lists, and non-Magnus lists. There's Ahriman lists, and non Ahriman lists.

Prot!!

I'm not giving you my lists. :smile.:

They are crud I throw together anyway. I literally play what I have right now and see how far I can push it. They're pretty much boring sacks of staple units... Cultists, Scarab Occult, Rubrics, Tzaangors (no more goats than that though for me.)

I slam 5 Spawns into my opponents and use that Spawn strat all the time. They are steered by Ahriman. I let the Knights do a lot of the work.

Have fun with it. I have no magic sauce for you.... there's a lot of stuff you can play with in Thousand Sons, but inevitably there's a very, very small handful of units that really function well. You'll see that's why the list reviews are super light for Thousand Sons. There's Magnus lists, and non-Magnus lists. There's Ahriman lists, and non Ahriman lists.

Ha!  I guess is really is every man for himself here among the Damned!  :biggrin.::biggrin.:

I am curious about the spawn thing, though. (Totally off topic)  Seems situational, but you say you get mileage out of it?  Are you mostly using it to pop a model directly into close combat?

Anyway, I'll make an introductory/help-a-noob thread here once I do a complete assessment of the army I just picked up.  I've never done any flavor of Chaos before and I'm without any frame of reference whatsoever.

Prot!!

I know it's off topic but if you want to mote specifically about TS list building try https://tizcanlibrary.com He is a TS player and tourney player he blogs about competitive TS and his lists and other TS tourney lists.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Archived