Zagstruk still a viable option?

battle captain corpus

Ello ladz! :D

So...been raking through an old dusty box and found a boxed Zagstruk. I bought him during 5/6th edt when he had the old deep strike into combat with the nutty Vulcha squad. I imagine in 8th that he has something similar.

My main question is really that is he a solid choice still? Obviously he'll come with normal Orky quirkiness I get that but until Dex drops I'm still wondering that's all? Can anyone share any solid anecdotes of using him in 8th?

Cheers!

BCC

Yes. He is both cheap and effective, with a reasonable number of attacks, as well as the fearless aura he provides to Stormboyz, who are also strong units. He does allow you to run smaller units of Stormboyz, since you won't have to fear leadership tests, and he fills an HQ slot cheaply, making him a decent choice all round. I used him a lot for the first six months of 8th (before the BA codex dropped and I decided to wait out the Ork one), and he ranged from ok-to-great, never completely failing. He only has two strong attacks, but they hit on 2s, making them effective and efficient, and he boasts another bunch of attacks at S6.

The reason he isn't super prevalent is that we are very one dimensional in terms of competitiveness right now. Weirdboyz are cheaper and more deadly choices for mandatory HQ slots, boyz are preferred over stormboyz because it's not about getting to the enemy fast, but just swamping the board with bodies, and when Stormboyz are used, they are used in massive units, where leadership isn't a concern until it's too late.

Archived