Demigyph Knights or Brettonian Knights as Rough Riders

Lord Blackwood

Hey this is mostly a shot in the dark cause I am thinking of adding rough riders to my vostroyans but I have no intention of paying for the death riders at forgeworld cost. 

Are the Demigryph Knights / the Brtettonian Knight kits in scale to stand in for rough riders?  Are they too small?  I  have no frame of reference and I figured maybe someone whos been at this for longer than myself maybe has a better answer.  

I’ve built both sets of Demigryph Knights and Bretonnian Knights of the Realm, and they’re both of similar size to a Cadian trooper. They are heavily armored however, and that does make them a fair bit more bulky.

My own idea for rough riders (since I hate the old Attila the Hun models and don’t want to buy FW riders due to cost and resin) was to utilize the Empire/free people Pistoliers box.

The pistoliers have lightly armored horses, and are themselves lightly armored. I would use the pistolier horse, the armored rider legs, a Cadian trooper torso, and either Cadian arms or the pistolier arms with lances or rifles or whatever weapon you had in mind. A Cadian helmet head would top it off nicely.

The demigryph knights are really ornate and the mount itself may be too large for rough riders. They could work nice for your vostroyans though.

Hope my 2 cents helped you out a bit. Those pistoliers are really nice looking and the kit is fun and customizable.

the Brtettonian Knight kits in scale to stand in for rough riders?

In scale yes.

But having gone that way I'd recommend using empire free guild outriders/pistoliers instead - unless you want your rough riders to look very feudal and knightly. The bretonian horses are rather old sculpts and it shows.

I used Outriders/Pistoliers for my rough riders and it’s a fine kit :tu:

Kierdale’s Shrineworld is a little...backward...but with Cadian heads, torsos and arms you could have some more mainstream riders.

gallery_63428_8145_14939.jpg

Pretty much any mount that's within a reasonable size difference should work. The biggest challenge I've seen is getting the riders to match the rest of your regiment, otherwise you get stuff like a Russian inspired Infantry army supported by dandy ostrich riders. If you can get the riders looking right, pretty much any mount will look good.

I'm currently running a mixed vostroyan and ventrillian force with about three squads of five rough riders. I ordered a bunch of the pistolier kits and I've used the horses from those kits combined with some 3rd party bits from mad robot miniatures to make some vostroyan rough riders that turned out pretty well. I will try and post some photos tomorrow when I can get some free time. Unfortunately everything is still unpainted as I am quite possibly the slowest painter of all timw. I will also say, in the interest of transparency, that I bought the pistolier kits solely for vostroyan rough riders and it snowballed into an entire ventrillian battallion. You've been warned.

Archived