Guardians of the Covenant Veteran Palian

Master Toddius

Your painting skills are commendable. However, I do not like the shield on the Marine's right forearm. If you insist he must simultaneously wield shield, pistol, and chainsword, then you should drill a hole in the shield so the pistol muzzle may shoot through it- see gun shields on Primaris Inceptors' assault bolters for reference.

It recalls the chapter champion combat shield and bolt pistol arrangement though Bjorn?

It does make sense that you choose either to shoot or to defend. If you have your gun pointing through your shield, that makes the shield relatively useless and risks the gun getting destroyed.

Plus I remain a non-adopter of Primaris ways, maybe Toddius feels the same...

Your painting skills are commendable. However, I do not like the shield on the Marine's right forearm. If you insist he must simultaneously wield shield, pistol, and chainsword, then you should drill a hole in the shield so the pistol muzzle may shoot through it- see gun shields on Primaris Inceptors' assault bolters for reference.

Thanks for the comment! 

There seems to be a few different ways a space marine can mount a shield to an arm or weapon to make it an effective tool. 

♦ Inceptor Style Shields:

•The shield could provide a power field which protects the actual physical material of the shield, which then could extend to the weapon port where a pistol/rifle could be aimed thru the shield. Could be surmised that when shield is struck the power field is protecting the weapon. 

•The shield could be configured to have its broadside to the point of danger when firing thru the port to add protection against shooting attacks + CC attacks. But that is assuming the shield acts in this manner.

•Shield bashes could be utilized as forward punches from the user. The marine technically could do a forward shield bash and trigger pull simultaneously. One might argue that marines enhanced with power armor could generate a powerful forward shield bash in this way while in CC. 

♦ Storm shields and combat shields:

•Bracing in a defensive position when being struck may produce a less random hit angle. Meaning you have the shield in a bent arm - parallel to the body which makes predicting the point of impact much easier. When the arm is held out like that of an Inceptor the hits may snap the arm up, down, or side to side in a unpredictable manner. This kind of jarring may be an issue IMHO. Could also cause disarming the Marine easier. 

•Shield bashes can be thrown at different angles in a very powerful way when using the whole arm and upper torso. Watch some vids of shield defensive and offensive moves on youtube. You do have a disadvantage in that the pistol is not pointing at the enemy when defending or attacking  compared to an inceptor. Just a different style of fighting. 

This really boils down to SciFi. Anything is possible, I suppose. The look of both the inceptor shields and the traditional storm/combat shields are equally cool IMHO. I just don't want to essentially tear up a dark angel specific shield to poke a bolt pistol out the front of it. Might be an interesting modelling challenge with a basic combat shield and just kit bash it with a pistol port. I might have to try that for funzies. 

Great comment, though. Fun to think thru. 

As built, Veteran Palian cannot fire his pistol without simultaneously moving the shield to the side, which would expose him to return fire from the very enemies he's shooting at. When I wrote my own supplement to 'Codex: Space Marines', I attempted to solve this dilemma by writing rules for a pattern of Terminator armor with a twin-linked bolter turret mounted in place of a Cyclone missile launcher (it automatically targets whatever the wearer looks at, like M2 and M3 attack helicopters' gun turrets), freeing the Terminator's hands to wield a storm shield and a melee weapon.

Maybe you can design a custom helmet with a built-in bolt pistol (see pictures of the player character from 'MDK', for reference)?

Fine, fine model work brother :thumbsup: . Very nice shiny paint job. I wouldn't worry too much about the bolter mount. 40K is very much fantasy as well as sci fi and the tech details don't bear up to too much scrutiny as is...… as long as it looks cool, eh?.... and this model looks oh so very cool:yes:

Archived