BA Lieutenants homebrew

Djangomatic82

Hello all. thought I'd share something i have been tinkering with.

Reading the lieutenants entry in the codex, the roles described for the 2 lieutenants is far more interesting than that the generic data card allows us to build. Additionally, i have been a little miffed that BA doesn't have a Chapter Champion in our ranks ( I have seen the Sanguinor referred to as our version, but his applications don't align with a Chapter Champions at all, imo.)

Equipment wise, I have limited myself to what is available in in Assault Marine and Vanguard Veterans box and for stat lines, i have left the Warden of the Blood with the same one as written in the codex, with the small addition of adding a dual pistol option to simulate a sort of upgraded version of the dual pistol Assault Sergeant.

For the Sword of Sanguinius, i simply used the SM Chapter Champion stat line and base spec'd him with an Eviscerator , with the options to switch it out for a Relic Blade and Pistol, as well as adding the options for a Combat Shield and/or Melta Bombs.

For the two lieutenants abilities, I tried my best to follow as closely as possible the roles described in the codex.

HQ | 4PL | Lieutenants

Name                 | M | WS | BS| S | T | W | A | Ld | Sv

Warden of the Blood      6"  |    2+   |  3+   | 4    | 4   |  4    |  3   |   8    |   3 +

Sword of Sanguinius     6"  |    2+   |   3+   | 4   | 4   | 4     | 4    |   9    |   2+

This unit contains 1 Warden of the Blood. It can include 1 additional Sword of Sanguinius (Power Rating +4). Only 1 of each model may be included per detachment.
• The Warden of the Blood is armed with a Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Master-Crafted Boltgun, Frag Grenades and Krak Grenades.
• The Sword of Sanguinius is armed with an Eviscerator, Frag Grenades and Krak Grenades.

Weapon                | Range |   Type     | S | AP | D | Abilities

Bolt Pistol                       |     12"      |     Pistol 1     |  4  |   0    |   1  |  -

Master-Crafted Boltgun  |     24"      | Rapid Fire 1 |   4  | - 1    |  2  | -

Chainsword                     | Melee     |      Melee      | User |   0   | 1   |  Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon.

Eviscerator                      | Melee     |      Melee      |   x2   | -4   | D3 | When attacking with this weapon, you must subtract 1 from the hit roll.

Frag Grenade                  |       6"      | Grenade D6 |    3    |  0    |  1   | -

Krak Grenade                 |       6"      | Grenade 1    |    6    |   -1  | D3 | -

Relic Blade                     |   Melee    |      Melee     |    +2  |   -3  | D3 | -

Melta Bomb                    |       4"      |  Grenade 1   |     8   |   -4  | D6 | You can re-roll failed hit rolls for this weapon if the target is a Vehicle.

Weapon Options

• The Warden of the Blood may replace its Master-Crafted Boltgun and Bolt Pistol with an item from the Pistols, Combi-Weapons, or Melee Weapons lists.
• The Warden of the Blood may replace its Chainsword with items from the Melee Weapons or Pistols lists.
• The Sword of Sanguinius may replace its Eviscerator with two items from the following list: Relic Blade, or items from the Pistols lists.
• The Sword of Sanguinius may take a Combat Shield.
• The Sword of Sanguinius may take Melta Bombs.
• Any model may take a jump pack (Power Rating+1 per model). If they do, their Move characteristic is increased to 12" and they gain the Jump Pack and Fly keywords.

Abilities

And They Shall Know No Fear (pg 74)

Jump Pack Assault:
during deployment, if a Lieutenant has a jump pack, you can set them up high in the sky instead of placing them on the battlefield. At the end of any of your Movement phases he can assault from above - set them up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" away from any enemy models.

Company Heroes: During deployment, all models in this unit must be set up at the same time, though they do not need to be set up in unit coherency. From that point onwards, each Lieutenant is treated as a separated unit.

Tactical Precision: You can re-roll wound rolls of 1 for Blood Angels units that are within 6" of a friendly Blood Angels Lieutenant.

Chain of Command:
If your Warlord is slain, you can immediatly select a
Warden of the Blood in your army to take their place and generate a Warlord Trait for them. If the mission you are playing grants victory points for slaying the enemy Warlord, your opponent will only achieve that objective if all of the Wardens of the Blood in your army have been slain.

Honour or Death: The
Sword of Sanguinius must make a Heroic intervention if it is able to do so. In addition, you can re-roll any failed hit rolls for this model in the Fight phase when targeting a Character.

Combat Shield:
A model with a Combat Shield has a 5+ Invulnerable save.

Faction Keywords

IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS ASTARTED, BLOOD ANGELS

Keywords

CHARACTER, INFANTRY, LIEUTENANTS

anyways,i don't really expect to get the chance to use these, but i like them too much to just leave in my excel folder, so tell me what you think. Too OP, merry sue? all fluff? not your jam?

Please fix the formatting. It takes up unnecessary amount of space and doesn't make it easier to read at all. The opposite of it to be honest.

Should be better now. 

Much better. :tu:

I do like the chain of command bonus.

I think the sword on sanguinius should have a bolt pistol standard. Gabriel seth does.

I would field them.

Yeah,i had been considering it,but i omitted the pistol in order to drive home the different roles that each of the build options emphasize,imo. The Eviscerator option is meant to be the better choice against high toughness/armor targets while still hitting on 3's and the relic Blade build being better against squishier targets. the base build still has the frag and Krack options,as well as Melta Bombs potentially.

I do like the chain of command bonus.

I think the sword on sanguinius should have a bolt pistol standard. Gabriel seth does.

I would field them.

Yeah,i had been considering it,but i omitted the pistol in order to drive home the different roles that each of the build options emphasize,imo. The Eviscerator option is meant to be the better choice against high toughness/armor targets while still hitting on 3's and the relic Blade build being better against squishier targets. the base build still has the frag and Krack options,as well as Melta Bombs potentially.

Imo the Sword of Sanguinius should have all melee weapons available to him. Or if you want it flavorful, just keep every sword.

I had cnsidered it, but i really wanted it to have a distinctly different use case scenario from Captain Smash. Without the thunder hammer option , the sword of sanguinius is less of a jack of all trades kill dozer, like capt.Slam. The -4 ap, reroll hits against characters and heroic intervention ability make him clearly a character hunter that can also tackle tanks and monsters thanks to the 2x str and d3 damage.

Archived