Kromlech Dragonborn Armour

sbarnby71

Just saw these on the Kromlech webstore and thought they would make really good Wolf Lord armour. 

The first torso maybe remove some of the scales at the front and add a wolf pelt and the final one could become a Wolf Priest:

Dragonborn 1

Dragonborn 2

My reasons, Fenris has Dragons or Wyverns, Harold Deathwolf has scale armour and Fenris is a planet of fire and ice.  I'm even thinking of making up a unit of Fireborn warriors (Född av eld) , they come from a volcanic part of Fernis, so they carry the scales of Wyverns for protection and wield fire wreathed weapons.

I heard the you may need some shoudel pads for you "dragon"-ish guys :biggrin.:

Take a look 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KW65CQP2A/blank-void-scale-shoulder-pads-x10?optionId=65240397&li=marketplace

I was tempted (I've got a lot of shoulder pads from PopGoes), but I wanted to try and keep some Wolves or Norse style elements to the models.  I'll post some progress pics.

Got started last night on this project, first thing that threw me was I could not get my head round the scale these torsos are, they seemed way to big to fit my normal SW legs, too small to be Primaris or Terminator.  I dug through my bits box and found a pair of legs from the Deathwatch unit and I've not noticed this before, the legs are bigger than the old SWs:

Opting for the Deathwatch legs I put together my first attempt - I want him carrying 2 hammers:

Torso = Kromlech
Legs = GW (Deathwatch)
Arm = Anvil Industries
Hammer = Conversion World
Head = Shapeways (Aurel)

The more I looked at the pose I could not imagine how the right arm would be posed as he is in a rushing forward charge, I'm not a fan of arms flailing madly above the head poses, so tried lowering the hammer and changing the head, this looks more like he is just getting ready to start running and feels more natural.  I tried out lots of different should pads with wolf heads, tails, standard SW pads, but settled for these quite small Celtic ones, I think it gives the model a more fast attack look (always though SM shoulder pads would make fighting almost impossible):

Head = Spellcrow
Shoulder Pad = Puppets War

I'm really impressed with the detail on these torsos, the dragon head and fire is so fine, I wanted to pick that detail out in gold and the armour a different colour but not sure my painting skills would be a match for the fire detail, but I'll give it a go.

Wanted to do a bit of back story on this first character.

Halvar closed his eyes and slowed his breathing, his fingertips touch the haft of both hammers laid at his feet and in an instant he was back home, the day his younger brother had dared him to climb the mountain of fire and touch the Aldrnari stone the gothi so revered.  He remember the blistering heat of the climb, the howling gales that tore at his skinny limbs, the elation of seeing the stone, then the searing pain as a shard of the stone pierced his palm as he tried to hold the stone.  A shard that almost 200 years later still lay beneath his skin and gave his hammer Aldrnari it’s true power of fire. 

Halvar tighten his grip on Aldrnari and it began to sing in his grip and the familiar warmth becoming part of him again, slowly he tightened his grip on Svell, his 2nd hammer, a hammer of ice, slowly he opened his eyes and started towards the green skins in a slow loping run…

Added a wolf skull to the left leg to cover up where I'd removed the Deathwatch\Inqusition symbol and a wolf wail to the scale loin cloth:

Then added Secret Weapon brass runes to the hammers (these things are fiddly to work with!):

I'm trying to figure what colour to paint the scale armour, I want to keep the fire theme going but think red or orange would look out of place.

Archived