Role of Howl of the Hearthworld at the Siege

b1soul

I liked BFTA as a pulpy, dirty dozen sort of action story with some good characters like Skraal and Mhotep. Those early HH books after the more organised intial trilogy with all the shared usage of language and phrase are intriguingly all over the place in terms of tone. You've got solemn slow paced origin stories jumping way back in the timeline that seem to be setting up the vibe of a lengthy series to come, while McNeil is sprinting like a manic, trying to go epic and cram as much development into single books as possible like Fulgrim and Mechanicum, which leave the Emps Children and war on Mars with few places to go development-wise afterwards. Then you have Counter and Abnett going off on tangents translating Pulpy action war stories and cold war spy stuff with a James Bond insert and ancient alien cabals into books.

It was good fun.

I really think we’re starting from the topic here...

Aaron - you probably can’t answer this (and that’s fine if it is the case) but are you saying that that squad didn’t join Russ on the assault on the Venegeful Spirit? From my perspective it would seem weird that they would still be assigned to Dorn, I would hope by now he’s beyond suspicion and he’s shown he’s capable of defending himself from assassination. Considering the level of fortification around Terra and the Sol system, what would a small squad of Wolves be required to stay behind to do, rather than join their Primarch in a ‘Death or Glory’ attempt to end the Traitor advance in its tracks by killing the Warmaster?

Well, a single squad's contribution to either the defence of Terra or the strike against Horus would be miniscule.

Perhaps the Howl members have a change of mind between their introductory short story and Russ' departure. Perhaps they come to desire to defend Terra.

Or Russ believes that a small contingent of his Wolves should assist the cradleworld.

I really think we’re starting from the topic here...

Aaron - you probably can’t answer this (and that’s fine if it is the case) but are you saying that that squad didn’t join Russ on the assault on the Venegeful Spirit? From my perspective it would seem weird that they would still be assigned to Dorn, I would hope by now he’s beyond suspicion and he’s shown he’s capable of defending himself from assassination. Considering the level of fortification around Terra and the Sol system, what would a small squad of Wolves be required to stay behind to do, rather than join their Primarch in a ‘Death or Glory’ attempt to end the Traitor advance in its tracks by killing the Warmaster?

Chapter 2 of Wolfsbane says that Jaurmag, a Jarl assigned to watching Dorn, was retuned to the legion. It makes no mention of his pack, so I suppose they might show up, though it makes little sense in my mind for them to not leave.

Archived