Help with my next purchase - Emp Children

RoadRunna

Hi

My painting desk is getting on the thin side so I thought I would stump up some cash for some new model(s)... but I don't know what to get.

Here is what I have so please point out any holes that you see so that I can fill it with something shiny.  I play loyalist so no Primarch for me!!

HQ

Chaplin

Praetor

Champion

Moritat

Elite

5 tartaros terminators

10 Vets with assorted weapons and 5 combiweapons

2 Contemptor Dreads (Mortis Kheres & Plasma)

5 man Palatine Squad

2 Apothecaries

Troops

15 Assault marines

30 tactical squads + Rhino

Fast

2 Javelins with either lascannon or missiles

Heavy

Deredeo with autocannon & launcher

Leviathan with Gravflux / Snippy claw
Sicaran Venator

Sicaran Assault Tank

Landraider

I was thinking about getting a 5 man plasma support squad plus something substantial??

Lightning Strike Fighter ?

Typhon Siege Tank (as I have no LoW)?

Perhaps some JetBikes??

I am also playing Centurion rules at 1500 + 2000 points but as I have all the dreadies I need so I think I will get a Heavy Weapon missile squad?? when no tanks are available to me so that I can still hunt enemy light armour / dreadies

All comments welcome to get my army balanced

On the one hand, Lightning Strike fighters or additionals tanks, maybe a Spartan, are interessting. 

Yet, if you want boots on the ground, you could get some specific units like breachers, tactical support marines or even seekers.

You could also build a new army list and paint towards that. A Rite of war you probably haven't used like Orbital Assault. 

Other than that, may a Castaferrum Dreadnought?

Jetbikes sound cool, or regular bikes as well as attack bikes. 

Hmmm, given how EC operate and some of the really fun tricks they have, I do like keeping with the mobility options.  Jetbikes are always solid fun and just seem to fit with a 3rd legion group.  I'd probably go with them first and foremost, as much for theme as for that extra mobility option to compliment the javelins. A Lightning would definitely be a good thing to knock out the inevitable Spartan that will show up in a non Centurion game, but I would worry about air cover beyond the Deredeo.  In that regard, a Xiphon might be a good fit for threatening air assets, and they have a fairly heavy armament. 

But then again, I could be a bit biased as I love Air Cav and would always champion an air assault option like Storm Eagles, Thunderhawks, Xiphons, and Lightnings. :P 

Beyond that, I do think it's worth looking at Lord of War options in the Typhon as you can use it well under 2K, maybe a Cerberus though I still haven't seen much of them around and you do have the Venator to cover the tank hunter roll.  Body wise, Seekers are still not a bad option these days, and feel about right with the way of the Maru Skara! 

So in general, Jetbikes get my vote with the Typhon being right after. 

The Centurion rules are an unofficial ruleset that focuses on infantry, dreads, and speeders.  I haven't a clue what draft they're on but here's a link to the easy to find discussion that includes a link to the rules

Basically, it's 1.5-2K games with Bikes, Attack Bikes, Jet Bikes, Artillery, Monstrous Creatures, Leviathan Siege Dreadnoughts as 0-1 choices.  Tanks, drop pods, flyers are restricted.

Yeah Centurion is infantry heavy which is handy for players new to Heresy (IMHO) as it allows you to play after buying a couple of boxes of Betrayal of Calth or Burning of P without getting hammered by someone with tank heavy lists who perhaps has more $$ to spend of FW goodness.  

If you play centurion consider a javelin squad with 2-3 javelins with missile pods, pintle mounted multimelta and additional 2x HKMs on each javelin. This will give you 5x S8 shots per javelin (the turn you consume the HKMs) on top of ability to move disregarding terrain, this can give a tactical advantage as it is difficult for the enemy to anticipate where such an attack can come from even if you don't use the outflank or deep strike rule. Way better than a static heavy support squad and also very versatile in centrurion games since these bikes can threat dreadnoughts as well as infantry.

Also consider a squad of skyslayer scimitars, they get multimeltas each for free, but can be upgraded to plasmacannons or volkite culverins. Take culverin on each, stay out of close combat and hose down enemy infantry from 45" away with 4x S6 shots from each bike, thats 24 S6 shots from a full 6x squad. Very effective in centurion (and regular games) and very very mobile and a bitch to take out since they are T5 2+ and can just skimmer around the enemy in circles at a safe distance hosing down enemy units with S6 volkite.

The key to get mileage out of Javelins and Scimitars/skyslayers and play them successfully is to stay out of close combat and use long range firepower (heavy bolters or volkite culverins) and hose down shots on enemy and just dance around them at safe distance (Just like wood elf glade riders did in warhammer fantasy).

To answer your question; I'd paint up 2 or 3 Javelins and a 6x squad of scimitars with the nose weapon magnetised so you can run them either as skyslayers (heavy support) with 6x volkite culverins or as regular scimitars (fast attack) with 4x heavy bolters and 2x culverins.

Thanks Imren for your advice... Hadn't considered Scimiatars for Centurion but you certainly make some valid points about the anti-MEQ firepower that they can throw down at range... will have to look at this.  I was just about to push "order" for some Missile Launcher bitz ;-)

-lofts a brow a bit- Given you said you already had 2 Javelins with missiles or las, and jetbikes was just a question (which Stuka said first, as well as... everyone) not sure why Imren is getting all the credit.  Make it sound like it's the only response, are we not special, are we not unique?  I demand satisfaction!  The Warmaster's ilk will not be spurned, even by one of Fulgrim's hedonistic sons or spawn of the Serpent!  

-smirks- busting your chops, mates.  Obviously. :biggrin.:   Are multiple squadrons of javelins a thing in any 'reasonable' sized game?  One of 2-3 feels pretty good but when we're talking about 2 groups of 2-3, we're getting up there in price with those add ons.  

Vykes: It depends a little on what legion you play and how you want to threaten your opponent on the table. I play AL, so if try to keep my units big and few since I give up additional VPs if I loose more units than the opponent at the end of the game, so I rather run one unit of 2-3 javelins. However, if you want to threaten the enemy from more angles and you have your fast attack slots free you can have each javelin as a unit and have them buzz around independently from each other and shoot from different angles/positions which also allows your 2-3 javelins to shoot at more targets compared to run them as a single unit.

Hi Guys and thanks for all the commentary.  Have placed my order for extra stuff which should give me enough oomph for the next few months of painting.  I ended up ordering:

5 Heavy flamers - for ZM / centurion

5 Missile Launchers - for centurion

5 Plasma support squad

3 skyslayer scimitar jetbikes - for centurion

1 Lightning striker

Figure once these are done I will stump up some cash for maybe a Spartan and 20 weaponmaster vets / assault marines

Thanks again

Archived