Stormhost Silver versus Runefang Steel, coverage

Kierdale

A quick question on ‘silver’ paints.

I used to use Mithril Silver and changed to Runefang Steel, and never got the newer Stormhost Silver when it came out. How do the two compare? Does Stormhost cover better (as the newer Metallics seem to)? Is it particularly brighter?

Stormhost Silver is brighter than Runefang, and I also find it to be a lot more "pigmenty", if that makes any sense. As if whatever component makes metallic paints shiny is present in higher quantities.

I'm sure somebody with better technical knowledge than me can explain that better! 

If you pull up the lids and put them side by side, you get the feeling that someone threw out half the bottle of Runefang Steel and topped it back up with Lahmian Medium.

This is exactly how I feel!

Thanks for the comments, all. I’ll be picking up some Stormhost Silver this weekend then :tu:

I've had the exact opposite experience as far as stormhost separating and stuff, but still use it because it just looks better and takes colored washes like it was made for it. So good choice, just make sure to add shaking it to your hobby routine, even if not using it.

When I first opened my Stormhost Silver I noticed that it was a lot better than Runefang Steel. Now however it separates so much that I need a battery powered stirrer to mix the separated paint up. For some reason I have the same issue with Skullcrusher Brass. I have started using other brands for some of my metallics, with Scale 75 being the ones I've dabbled with most. I'll have to give other brands a try too.

If you do airbrushing, then try these:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/metal-color/family/33

These are the smoothest, shiniest, least pigmenty/grainy metallic acrylic paint I have encountered. With an airbrush they give the best result, way better than Citadel, Scale75, other Vallejo or P3.

However, they can be quite trixy to use with a paint brush, they have way lower viscosity than other airbrush paints and flow very well and have so small metallic pigments, so they are difficult to control with a paintbrush, but still better and less grainier than citadel Vallejo P3 etc.

yes, the gold one in that range is a bit bleak and quite muted. I have used the gunmetal and chrome as a preshade/prehighlight underneath a Tamiya clearcoat of greens and blues for my 30k alpha legion and I'm very impressed by them.

Archived