HH Series ending soon. Siege will be another series

So reading the updates from Warhammer Fest. They've announced that the series will end on The Buried Dagger, by James Swallow, which will detail the Fall of the Death Guard. No word on what number that novel will be as of yet, though with no other announcements, could be book 54? 

After that, we are then going to get a new set of books to follow the Siege of Terra 'in more detail than ever before'. Always wondered how they would tackle the immensity of the Siege, and there's our answer.

I think that's a mis-translation. I think what they sere intending to say was 'latest' and it came out as 'last'. I read that same post in the main WHF thread in the N&R section and there are a few language errors.

Plus considering the BL team have been talking about the Siege being part of the mainline HH series it would be a massive (and unexpected) turn to make it into it's own series. 

I think that's a mis-translation. I think what they sere intending to say was 'latest' and it came out as 'last'. I read that same post in the main WHF thread in the N&R section and there are a few language errors.

Plus considering the BL team have been talking about the Siege being part of the mainline HH series it would be a massive (and unexpected) turn to make it into it's own series. 

Don't think so. From BL themselves and sounds very clear.

"After 12 years, more than 50 books and loads of short stories and audio dramas, the Horus Heresy series is coming to an end, making way for the Siege of Terra - a new set of books that will follow the greatest conflict mankind has ever known in more detail than ever before.

The final book of the Horus Heresy series before the Siege will be The Buried Dagger - etc etc"

Looks very clear cut to me.

Also it's exactly what I would expect from the marketing team. HH - Siege of Terra collectors editions, little bit different to the current hardbacks, likely to get more sales as it's a smaller series that people could buy into, as opposed to the 54 HH main novels. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if every novel for the Siege got it's own Limited Edition format.

Edit: Also says 

"while we’re sure that The Buried Dagger will be a bittersweet read, it looks like a fitting end for this epic chapter for Warhammer 40,000 lore. The Siege of Terra promises to be incredibly exciting, and a worthy successor to The Horus Heresy."

Obviously it will be a case of "wait and see" how this turns out but have to say I am a bit shocked. The Siege of Terra IS THE CLIMAX of the Horus Heresy. So pulling that out and treating as a separate series just doesn't feel right to me.

I wonder how all those folks who have spent a decade moaning about when are we going to get to the siege of terra are gonna feel lol!

I hope they don't turn the Siege of Terra into some big bloated series with multiple titles. Yes it needs good coverage but not more than say six or so books IMHO.

Maybe (pure speculation) the HH series sales have dropped off a little so the marketing team are seeing this as a way to reinvigorate interest? We know some folks have cited HH fatigue.

Anyhow, it is what it is.

I guess for me (marketing man's dream) as someone who has steadfastly stuck to only buying HH in MMPB it means I can buy the SoT books in a different (more expensive) format as they wont need to match on my shelves!!!!

@DC agreed. For someone who is a bit OCD like me and likes my book shelves uniform it does mean I can fast track my purchase of HH:SoT books rather than wait 18mths for the MMPB. So definitely a GW/BL marketing decision to bring forward revenue from folks like me.

Interesting that it does start to reinforce the idea that the HH was/is a setting rather than a story/sequential series. They could have started like this and had several HH branded series running concurrently (I think Laurie Goulding hinted at one point that he wished they had done that).

I wonder if they might also go back and do other stories/series that are HH branded but not part of the original HH series?

Just saw the update on WHC, and I'll admit that I was wrong with what I was thinking. I thought it was a mistranslation, but they are splitting off the Siege into it's own book series.

To me it feels like a very odd decision. Even if they name the series as "Horus Heresy: Siege of Terra" it's weird that the main climax of the setting and the destination for the events in the previous 50-odd doesn't actually make it into the main numbered series. I could see them doing that if they wanted to do a mini-series based in the Heresy setting, much like The Beast Arises, but for the main story arc of the series I don't understand.

I'm confused...

My gut reaction is that this is a stupid annoying move, but i'm sure i'll get over it. It essentially abandons the HH series to start a new series which is a continuation of the same HH arc. The Scouring would have been a kinder cut off.

if it's a 5 or so book series (unlikely) then i'll be happy and pay to read. If it's going to go on and on i'll stick to spoilers here - I only really want to know who kills Little Horus.

I was participating.

The HH will end with James' novel in Feb 2019.

The siege will get its own series but not the same scale as the HH.

One guy spoke of 50, James and the BL participant of a more straighter schedule.

James proposed the very last novel being a anthology of ALL authors, who participated in the HH in order to give them a chance of finishing their most loved stories and with a signature of all of them.

Really hoping that they'll be following his advice. A really great idea, imho.

I just wonder what the downtime between The Buried Dagger and The Siege of Terra will be. I can't see them coming up with the opening book before the holiday season, or maybe the BL Weekender, with first hints and teasers dropped at the HH Weekender.

The current pacing of every other month will be abandoned, though I guess we're due another anthology or two in the meantime.

As long as they keep the same-ish format I'll be happy with whatever. A siege miniseries might be a decent idea insofar as covering all their bases is concerned, though it sort of sounds an excuse to abandon the current release model to start pumping out LEs and abandon the old MMPB once and for all. I just really don;t want another TBA style, everything being so closely connected and sequential would be quite unfortunate when the authors I dislike come out to play.

the siege of terra: book one

the iron blood lands on terra

the siege of terra: book two

the iron blood opens its doors

the siege of terra: book three

perturabo walks out of the iron blood

the siege of terra: book four

forrix walks out of the iron blood

the siege of terra: book five

perturabo left his hammer on board the iron blood

the siege of terra: book six

forrix refuses to get perturabo’s hammer from the iron blood

the siege of terra: book seven

perturabo asks chaos undivided to get his hammer

the siege of terra: book eight

chaos says no

the siege of terra: book nine

perturabo walks back into the iron blood

the siege of terra: book ten

the conqueror lands on terra

the siege of terra: book six

forrix refuses to get perturabo’s hammer from the iron blood

You would think it would get old by book six, but wait until we find out that Forgebreaker is a perpetual hammer and is the last agent of the Cabal (or is it??)

I just wonder what the downtime between The Buried Dagger and The Siege of Terra will be. I can't see them coming up with the opening book before the holiday season, or maybe the BL Weekender, with first hints and teasers dropped at the HH Weekender.

The current pacing of every other month will be abandoned, though I guess we're due another anthology or two in the meantime.

Hmmm well seeing as Dan Abnett has already confirmed that his next project (having recently finished Anarch) is his Siege of Terra book, I would say the writing of some of these books is already underway.

Just saw the update on WHC, and I'll admit that I was wrong with what I was thinking. I thought it was a mistranslation, but they are splitting off the Siege into it's own book series.

To me it feels like a very odd decision. Even if they name the series as "Horus Heresy: Siege of Terra" it's weird that the main climax of the setting and the destination for the events in the previous 50-odd doesn't actually make it into the main numbered series. I could see them doing that if they wanted to do a mini-series based in the Heresy setting, much like The Beast Arises, but for the main story arc of the series I don't understand.

I'm confused...

Yeah I agree. Seems like a super weird choice. Annoying but probably has no impact on the books?

So it all ends on a random number and before the end of the event the series is named for? Seems about right for the level of planning and care put into it.

Cant wait for the Siege to be split into 3 sub series itself. The non solar warfronts. The solar space engagements and the Terran ground war. Which will then be split themselves 85% into their story lines.

Archived