HH Series ending soon. Siege will be another series

I don't mind at all, really

This is just a labeling exercise, won't affect the content

I am glad they're going into detail.

If Imperium Secundus arc gets Unremembered Empire, Pharos, Angels of Caliban, Ruinstorm...I think the Siege arc deserves at least six books

I only really want to know who kills Little Horus.

my gut it telling me that it's gonna be
Garviel Loken

and he probably kills him by

impaling him on the exact baneblade that impaled Khârn

I reckon it will be Abaddon
and i'm half thinking
Little Horus drops the shields
. I totally understand why you think it will be who you think it will be but in some ways I think that rivalry has been put to bed.

You know how we joked about getting a warlord before dark angels pads and we got a warlord?

Willing to bet we joked about how long the siege would last and now look. We need to be more careful what we say frater. They're always watching....

I've thought on it, and all I can think is this.

'Heresy? That series is too long to jump into where do I even start'

No problem, just jump in at Book 1 of the Siege of Terra!

The HH essentially collapsed under its own weight?

I don’t get why it matters if the books say ‘Horus Heresy’ or ‘Seige of Terra’ on the cover?

To the hardcore fans? Its meaningless. Thats why I wondered about it myself. To someone new? Its easier to buy a book 1, than it is to see 'book 56' and go 'well no way I'm buying 55 other books, forget it'.

@ Scribe

Solid point, Scribe.

IMO, it's a smart marketing move

The only semi-substantive news is...

"the Siege of Terra - a new set of books that will follow the greatest conflict mankind has ever known in more detail than ever before."

Suggests to me they won't be rushing through the Siege with three novels.

I think it's a pretty smart move. If the Seige will cover things for more than about 3 books, which it seems likely it will, spinning it as it's own thing makes it a lot more immediately accessible. I doubt that when the HH books started that they anticipated 60± books by the end. This lets them give the Siege as much time as they feel they need to without things getting weird and bogged down. Add to that that there are probably a lot of 40k fans who may see the Siege of Terra as more enticing than regular heresy stuff, and making it its own label makes sense from marketing perspective, and leaves the HH open for revisiting.

I just want them to retain the same release cycle in terms of formats (hardcover to match, large paperback to match, MMPB to match), with art by Neil, the same spine layout with an added Siege of Terra logo, front cover with the typical HH box with gold borders, adding a Siege of Terra logo under the Heresy tagline, similar to how the Primarchs series does it, though with an actual small logo instead.

Make it distinct as its own subseries, but keep it visually consistent with the rest of the series. That's all I'm asking.

I think it's a pretty smart move. If the Seige will cover things for more than about 3 books, which it seems likely it will, spinning it as it's own thing makes it a lot more immediately accessible. I doubt that when the HH books started that they anticipated 60± books by the end. This lets them give the Siege as much time as they feel they need to without things getting weird and bogged down. Add to that that there are probably a lot of 40k fans who may see the Siege of Terra as more enticing than regular heresy stuff, and making it its own label makes sense from marketing perspective, and leaves the HH open for revisiting.

This.

James was present at the very first HH meeting and they calculated to cover the Heresy in about 10 books. See where that had led them to. ;)

Further, he said that releasing the last book does not mean that the Heresy is done. Rather might they jump back after a couple of years to release stories set in this era covering stories or threads which haven't been dealt with. The current format is a more or less chronological series dealing with the most important stuff. In the future, they could add to it by jumping around and writing additional stuff for example (mine not his) an Alpha Legion pov of Isstvan.

This.

James was present at the very first HH meeting and they calculated to cover the Heresy in about 10 books. See where that had led them to. :wink:

Further, he said that releasing the last book does not mean that the Heresy is done. Rather might they jump back after a couple of years to release stories set in this era covering stories or threads which haven't been dealt with. The current format is a more or less chronological series dealing with the most important stuff. In the future, they could add to it by jumping around and writing additional stuff for example (mine not his) an Alpha Legion pov of Isstvan.

If splitting the siege into a separate sub-series helps boosts sales, then as long as writing quality doesn't suffer and the series doesn't get bogged down with every single skirmish in the Sol System, it's all the same to me how it is delivered to the fans.

Speaking purely as a reader with no experience of actually publishing a book series, and who's been with this series since Horus Rising debuted, it does seem like the HH series suffered at times from a lack of overall vision and publishing discipline. The fact that Books 3 to 29 covered the first two years of a seven year war, with the other five years rushed into roughly 23 books, leaves that impression. That said, I'd be willing to check out new Heresy material published after the siege. Certainly the Imperial Fists, Death Guard and even Blood Angels and Sons of Horus have so far had less time in the limelight than shattered legion splinter groups.

I hope it doesn't just end with the Emperor obliterating Horus, and Rogal Dorn come running to his near-death father.  I hope great many pages would on to talk about the aftermath of the Siege, the arrival of the Ultramarines, the traitor's fleeing Terra, the Dark Angel's vengeance campaign (the raids they were known to have made on traitor worlds), Alexis Pollux's story, Sevetar's ultimate fate, etc.  I think it would be nice to see it end with the Emperor being enthroned on his golden toilet; but don't put any of those despair words from MoM like "I don't know" or "It's over... we are doomed".

By my reckoning, including Buried Dagger, Hubris of Monarchia, and the 10 remaining Primarchs books to come out (Vulkan/Corax/Angron/Mortarion/Alpharius/Curze/Lion/Dorn/Sanguinius/Horus) there'll be at least 235 pre-Siege works (including novels/Comics/audios/shorts etc) in the Heresy series. Let's assume therefore that there'll be at least 15 Siege-specific works then so they hit that 250+ mark, and previously-stated opinions that this is to make new people think they can get in easier (regardless of how true that is) become more likely. Hopefully the detail will make up for it.

By my reckoning, including Buried Dagger, Hubris of Monarchia, and the 10 remaining Primarchs books to come out (Vulkan/Corax/Angron/Mortarion/Alpharius/Curze/Lion/Dorn/Sanguinius/Horus) there'll be at least 235 pre-Siege works (including novels/Comics/audios/shorts etc) in the Heresy series. Let's assume therefore that there'll be at least 15 Siege-specific works then so they hit that 250+ mark, and previously-stated opinions that this is to make new people think they can get in easier (regardless of how true that is) become more likely. Hopefully the detail will make up for it.

Hubris of Monarchia?

I dont get how new people can use this to 'get in easier'. Its book one of the END of the horus heresy. What is the Horus Heresy you ask new person? Well read these other 50 books...

Its like numbering the next Star Wars film episode 1 and hoping no one asks why it starts 2/3 into a story.  All the marketing gimmicks dont change the fact that this is NOT  a self contained narrative. Not unless they purposefully write the first 'Siege'  book as a recap of the other 50 ( not that i put it past them at this point). 

If they wanted the  HH series to be lighter then they should not have put in every random piece of paper they had in the numbered series. But instead planned ( i know how much they dislike it) accordingly 25 books ago. 

Heck if they REALLY wanted to make it more streamline they could remember the series now and cut off the fat of it. 

Hubris of Monarchia?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/16/black-library-live-the-big-reveals/

Mentioned a way down the page, second paragraph of the 'Horus Heresy' section. Why we're going back to Calth is anyone's guess, but as far as we know it still exists.

I dont get how new people can use this to 'get in easier'. Its book one of the END of the horus heresy. What is the Horus Heresy you ask new person? Well read these other 50 books...

Its like numbering the next Star Wars film episode 1 and hoping no one asks why it starts 2/3 into a story.  All the marketing gimmicks dont change the fact that this is NOT  a self contained narrative. Not unless they purposefully write the first 'Siege'  book as a recap of the other 50 ( not that i put it past them at this point). 

If they wanted the  HH series to be lighter then they should not have put in every random piece of paper they had in the numbered series. But instead planned ( i know how much they dislike it) accordingly 25 books ago. 

Heck if they REALLY wanted to make it more streamline they could remember the series now and cut off the fat of it. 

This is the point, and like you I'm not convinced by it. If readers don't know who Perturabo, Jubal Khan, or Archamus are for instance they're going to be just as lost jumping in here as they would at book 47. But I think that's certainly how GW will market it, and I'm sure people will be suckered in by it only to complain later.

It’s a bit weird they have declared the heresy series over, because wether they like it or not the siege is the final part of the heresy.

I just really hope they don’t drag the siege out. 10 to 12 books over a couple of years is fine. 20+ books over 5+ years is not.

Archived