HH 5? - The Buried Dagger

As mentioned in my other post. The next announced...and the last novel of the HH series will be the fall of the Death Guard.

The final book of the Horus Heresy series before the siege will be The Buried Dagger – a tale of betrayal, woe and the final, tragic collapse of the Death Guard. This moment has been a pivotal and iconic part of Horus Heresy lore for decades, and we’re incredibly excited to finally hear the full story.

Here’s writer James Swallow with more info:

When I wrote my first Horus Heresy novel – The Flight of the Eisenstein – that book was built around the narrative of key events in the history of the Death Guard and the venerable Battle-Captain Nathaniel Garro… So having The Buried Dagger, my last book to bear the Horus Heresy banner, return to both the XIV Legion and ‘Straight-arrow Garro’ appeals to my sense of synchronicity.

The Death Guard, their primarch Mortarion and Garro have all taken troubled roads to reach this point, and like a lot of the narratives in this saga, their story is a mirror of the greater tragedy of the Horus Heresy – and in this novel, each of them will pass a point of no return that will change them forever. I feel privileged to be the writer who got to end this chapter of the saga, and light the way to the next – prepare yourselves for the Siege.

Thanks, James – while we’re sure that The Buried Dagger will be a bittersweet read, it looks like a fitting end for this epic chapter for Warhammer 40,000 lore. The Siege of Terra promises to be incredibly exciting, and a worthy successor to The Horus Heresy.

I know I'm not the only one that's been really looking forward to the Death Guards fall, so pretty excited for this. I'm never the most quiet of critics of Swallow, regarding Fear to Tread as imo the worst novel in the series by far. But I always did like Flight of the Eisenstein. Was hoping for Wraight to do their fall, but following FotE, Swallow is solid choice to me.

If they follow the old lore, then we should finally be getting Typhon back, soon to be Typhus in the novel. Be interesting to see just what the hell he has been up to for all these years in the Heresy. Though it better not involve him killing Corswain!

On that last point:

From Gav Thorpe's Unforgiven, it seems like Corswain will at least live until the return to Caliban, as Luther says that his Lord Cypher was 'slain by the Houndlord who bears my master's blade', the Houndlord being another name for Corswain.

On that last point:

From Gav Thorpe's Unforgiven, it seems like Corswain will at least live until the return to Caliban, as Luther says that his Lord Cypher was 'slain by the Houndlord who bears my master's blade', the Houndlord being another name for Corswain.

Ooooo interesting. Not read those novels.

Soooooo

I just legt the Warhammer Fest. We had a session with James, quite a nice guy. Currently on phone so here are some facts:

- Mortarion, Typhon, Malchador, Garro, Knights Errant will all play a big part

- it will conclude some loose threads, answers some questions and ask new ones

- I caught him a bit off guard by asking about Ianus and the GK, he said that if one would like to read about it, one gonna love that book (YES!)

- James has plans for one additional Garro story after this one

As a side note: He confirmed being the one writing the Sanguinius novel. Further does he know who'll cover Mortarion but he's not allowed to speak about it.

I'm willing to give the Garro arc a chance and read it before this one's going to be released.

Possible release date: February 2019

I'm already extremely disappointed that the fall of the DG novel is actually going to be a Knights Errant novel. No thanks.

Also boo on Sanguinius book. I was really hoping someone else would get that.

Oh well. There's a lot of room to be pleasantly surprised as long as my expectations are low :P

It's been a long time since I read any Swallow, maybe FTT would be unreadable now, but I certainly don't remember hating it, though I did take issue with having such an interchangable astartes cast. I remain cautiously optimistic, authors can change significantly over time. While still not great, Old Earth was a masterpiece compared to Kyme's earlier fare, and inversely, I thought Annandale's early stuff was much better than most of his present output. So I remain cautiously optimistic he may have heeded some of the criticism.

As for The Buried Dagger, it sounds like a fairly decent idea for a capper. Seeing what's going on with Malcador and the Doom of the Deathguard makes a fair bit of sense if it is truly, definitively the last book before the siege. The last desperate attempts to prepare by both the forces of man and those of chaos before the blows start landing. I just hope Morty gets his due time in the sun.

Regarding Morty, it will have flashbacks giving insight of his time on Barbarus.

James doesn't see him as a bad guy. More like a guy who had quite a bad past, to say in my words.

Regarding Morty, it will have flashbacks giving insight of his time on Barbarus.

James doesn't see him as a bad guy. More like a guy who had quite a bad past, to say in my words.

I think Morty passed the "bad guy" line back when he 1) murdered his own Deathshroud to summon a daemon, 2) forced a brain-eating torture squid down a White Scar Legionary's throat for information, 3) enacted wanton virus bombings of planets to send messages and enforce dark compliance, 4) seemingly murdered the head of a Knight house and enslaved said house while installing a puppet leader of some form... etc. But Mortarion probably still thinks he's doing this awful stuff for a good cause, I guess? I hope that comes through. Also promising to hear we'll see Barbarus flashbacks.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the HH authors went and read the entire series from start to finish earlier this year, so at least we know James Swallow has every depiction relatively 'fresh.' 

I kind of struggle to see Mr "We Are All Tyrants" seeing himself as a hero or caring about that stuff.

I think it comes through a bit in Scars, and somewhat in the black book via Mortarion's written history. Although his history in the black book is very suspect. It's definitely the way I'd like him to be portrayed, though, so take whatever I say with that in mind.

Oh poor poor Sanguinius.

How the hell do the death guard who have had so little done on them have to share their first and only book?? That description has way too much stuff for one book.

Poor poor Sanguinius, another borrow not buy book in sight.

They said that, compared to other Legions, the DG die not that much.

Their main part / story takes place at the very end of the HH. That's why they are so relatively lately covered.

Wouldn't make sense to give them book 7 and then book 54 for example.

Just trying to remember correctly, tbh.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the HH authors went and read the entire series from start to finish earlier this year...

I did. As in, I mentioned it a few times on social media.

The others, to my knowledge, haven't said the same. But that's not to say they haven't done it, natch. 

It's also worth keeping in mind that the HH authors went and read the entire series from start to finish earlier this year...

I did. As in, I mentioned it a few times on social media.

The others, to my knowledge, haven't said the same. But that's not to say they haven't done it, natch.

Guy Haley revised too. I think it was mentioned in the interview at BL live

Looking forward to this book, if it's disappointing, so be it, and into the next one

4) seemingly murdered the head of a Knight house and enslaved said house while installing a puppet leader of some form...

I always thought Mortarion captured head of House Macabius and let him out only for battles... Like Draykavac did with his Atrax knight-slaves.

I did. As in, I mentioned it a few times on social media.

Ah, gotcha. I could swear I saw another author mention it on social media, but I could be wrong. So one author read the series, maybe two if my memory is worth anything (it's not)...

4) seemingly murdered the head of a Knight house and enslaved said house while installing a puppet leader of some form...

I always thought Mortarion captured head of House Macabius and let him out only for battles... Like Draykavac did with his Atrax knight-slaves.

Possibly!

From what Bligh said, it seemed a little darker than just capturing the guy. There's a reason why his knight is sealed from the outside, and why he never speaks again...

Anyway, I've never been more concerned about a HH novel novel. I don't rate Swallow at all; it really should have been Wraight. I'm especially displeased that the DG are sharing the limelight with the Knights Errant. I will go into this novel with 0 expectations, and hope to be surprised.

Also, that sucks for Sanguinius fans.

I have enjoyed some of his works, he is sort of hit or miss for me. Without question, this should have gone to Chris Wraight, his DG and Mortarion is without question awesome...I guess Chris can't do it all. With this being the "last book" in the series, Chris should have done this but I can see that Swallow sort of started the series with the DG so out of respect it makes sense he gets this.

Wait so he is doing the Primarch book for Sanguinius? Oh man...that should def go to someone like ADB. Sanginius is the one Primarch I think everyone can love...traitor or not and honestly sort of has been portrayed sort of like a EMO (maybe less so than Curze). I will get both...but as someone mentions zero expectation and hope to be surprised.

I don't mind Swallow's portrayal of Sanguinius in FtT. In fact, it has probably been my favorite one so far. And the Garro books have all been fairly good. What is it about Swallow's writing that turns people off? His BA trilogies don't really fit in the universe anymore, but in a vacuum were okay.

Archived