HH 5? - The Buried Dagger

Yikes. Two of my Mount Rushmore primarchs getting the Swallow treatment. I actually thought FTT was ok (it was a while ago so I could just have selective memory) and liked Legion of One (read by Toby Longworth) so I will remain optimistic and cautiously guarded.

I hope James comes in and blows these stories out of the ballpark.

I don't mind Swallow's portrayal of Sanguinius in FtT. In fact, it has probably been my favorite one so far. And the Garro books have all been fairly good. What is it about Swallow's writing that turns people off? His BA trilogies don't really fit in the universe anymore, but in a vacuum were okay.

Personally, I haven't actually read Fear to Tread. I should get on that and maybe it will change my mind (or not!). I liked Flight of the Eisenstein well enough, but I haven't read it since its release. What throws me off is the Garro plot-line after that, and Nemesis. I didn't care for either. Oh, and I actually did quite like his recent short Exocytosis

So what's the problem? Not much, actually. I was pretty optimistic about this until hearing it's going to be big on the Knights Errant. Speaking for myself, I'm just disappointed more time is being taken in a story that I've been looking forward to and being given to a story that I'm not. I'm sure Garro fans will be quite happy, though.

and I'm "boo on Swallow with Sanguinius" just because I wanted to see an author that hasn't tackled him get a shot. Again, haven't read FtT. I do plan to, but I wanted to see more perspectives out there. And also because people whose opinions generally cleave close to mine really don't like the book, so that makes me nervous.

I think it's mainly the disappointment that Chris doesn't get a crack at the DG

To me, Daemonology and Path of Heaven are better portrayals of the DG/Mortarion than anything by James

I agree that some of James' short stories are decent, but I have not read any work by him actually impressive

Anyway...hopefully this means Chris will have bandwidth to focus on a Siege WS novel or two

Chris could still write the DG during the siege. He's getting familiar with them with Lords of Silence. He could also be the one writing about Mortarion in the Primarchs series.

James was asked if he'd tackle Mortarion which he denied but further was not allowed to say who will write it instead. He wanted at first but the BL guy denied it.

I mean, maybe Chris didn’t want to write this one? Maybe he didn’t have time with other books he’d rather write? A lot of ‘disappointed Wraight didn’t get to write it’ (and yes, I’d be very happy with Wraight writing it, especially after reading the Lords of Silence) but it might simply be that he didn’t want it or couldn’t do it.

I wonder if the story of Garro and the Knights-Earrant will be connected to the fall of the Death Guard, or will just be a separate story running parallel with the Death Guard's fall. 

If so, I'm hoping that the Death Guard still get centre-stage, being as they are the last of the 'Dedicated 4' to be claimed by their patron. Garro and/or the KE have had at least as much screentime as the entire DG legion.

I am going to be pretty done if this ends up as a book where the Death Guard are not at least 80% of the books focus. 

Ive waited absolute years for another DG book. I genuinely enjoyed the Flight and although its not perfect, I do praise it as one of the best books to showcase a Legion, even when it becomes Garro focused later in the book. If this ends up in a similar fashion as Slaves to Darkness (Although it was fantastic) In which it switches from Garro to Typhon to a Dark Angel to some bint on some shrineworld I wont be too impressed. The thing that truly annoys me is that there is a much better character to use than Garro for this book and thats Crysos Morturg who has had such a little showing.

The short stories such as Exocytosis and the rest put me on a solid path to really really looking forward to this, Barring the Angron/Mortarion Primarchs book, its the only book that I have been waiting for. Its going to be pretty crap if Garro has more than 20% of this book to himself.

Authors were saying the the Horus Heresy series is due to end soon for a while. That said it doesn't seem right to me to have it end before the siege of Terra and have that covered in a separate series. It should be the climax. I know its probably just a matter of names but it still seems unsatisfactory,

Off-the-wall prediction: I bet The Buried Dagger isn't just referring to Calas Typhon. It's going to turn out that Malcador and by extension his Knights Errant are involved in stranding the Death Guard fleet in the warp to save Terra. The buried dagger in this case is actually Garro, dooming his own legion to save the Imperium. They never predicted the horror they would create... 

Garro's arc would also only be finished at the Siege itself, where he realizes the consequences of his involvement.

Maybe?

As far as I've understood it, this one will mainly focus on Mortarion and Typhon along the Legion.

The Knights Errant and foremost Garro will play a part, as well. Not surprising as James wrote Garro's arc and as he's a former DG. I don't think that he'll steal Mortarions spotlight.

Malchador will play a part, as well.

Let's just wait and see, eh? :)

.As far as I've understood it, this one will mainly focus on Mortarion and Typhon along the Legion.

The Knights Errant and foremost Garro will play a part, as well. Not surprising as James wrote Garro's arc and as he's a former DG. I don't think that he'll steal Mortarions spotlight.

Let's just wait and see, eh? :smile.:

Its not Mortarion I want in the spotlight and I don't think many others do either.

Its the actual Legion. The Barbaran links and transformation of the Legion from tough as coffin nails loyal soldiers to Genocidal, dark and cold killers. The Legion should definitely be the spotlight, because that is what they need. Some expansion on Barbarus, how they conduct warfare, the subsections of the Legion and so on. More characters, perhaps use of some of the established 40k DG. Any large amount of KE back story will take away a lot of what myself and some others really want to see.

Slaves did a solid for the Sons of Horus and that was a shared book. This is a Legion book, so I bloody hope he does a solid for the Death Guard. 

.As far as I've understood it, this one will mainly focus on Mortarion and Typhon along the Legion.

Let's just wait and see, eh? :smile.:

Its not Mortarion I want in the spotlight and I don't think many others do either.

Its the actual Legion. The Barbaran links and transformation of the Legion from tough as coffin nails loyal soldiers to Genocidal, dark and cold killers. The Legion should definitely be the spotlight, because that is what they need. Some expansion on Barbarus, how they conduct warfare, the subsections of the Legion and so on. More characters, perhaps use of some of the established 40k DG. Any large amount of KE back story will take away a lot of what myself and some others really want to see.

Slaves did a solid for the Sons of Horus and that was a shared book. This is a Legion book, so I bloody hope he does a solid for the Death Guard. 

Ditto. Morty's had a decent showing so far, what would be more interesting at this stage is how his sons have been transformed by the war. Like how we saw Wraight display the changes to the White Scars between Chondax and Catallus. The Death Guard originally saw themselves as humanity's liberators before growing arrogant and contemptuous of the weak as the Heresy ground on, only to be humiliated by the Destroyer Plague. I'm hoping that sort of transition comes through in this novel.

Yeah, the Death Guard themselves haven't really had much done on them throughout the series. They had Eisenstein, but even then that didn't really deal with the wider Legion, just the Terran Loyalist. Maybe we'll get lucky and Typhon will be the main character of the book.

I only hope that the book has the Death Guard suffer constantly as all traitorous vermin should.  

Sentiment aside, they're definitely going to suffer. That's the whole narrative of the Fall!

That's the thing I hope Swallow captures: I don't feel like Mortarion cares for his Legion, so in a way I hope he either doubles down on that, sacrificing them to the Plague God for his own survival, or he accepts the bargain because seeing their suffering through a torment that no amount of the fortitude he demands of them will let them bear makes him realise that he does care.

That’s too bad about the Sanguinius Primarchs book. We’re doomed never to get a different interpretation of Sanguinius and the Angels in the Heresy it seems. Considering how awesome ADBs angel was that reallly makes it hard to be excited about.

Very exciting times, I really enjoyed both slaves to darkness and Wolfsbane so hope this is just as good. So will the siege be its own mini series with new titles/headers? 

I also saw that ADB will be covering the siege, anyone know if that will be one book or the entire series? Either way im pumped!!

Archived