Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,876 posts

So, I just saw the new ork vehicles and I am severely disappointed, because it makes no sense.

I know there is orks make no sense, but then there is 40k makes no sense, makes no sense.

I linked the video with the image below:

My first question is where the hell did the Orks get the designs for a formula one car? Nothing in the imperial arsenal or any other species arsenal even closely resembles that ork formula 1 car and orks are not capable of creating such clean designs.

The design is also far too clean and aerodynamic for an ork vehicle. Ork designs are meant to be big, brutish and edgy (literally) and this formula 1 car is the exact opposite of that. Plus, where the hell are orks going to manufactor, let alone get the smooth tires necessary, especially when most battlefields are nowhere near smooth enough for that car to run and run fast at all, because they are not easy to create and Ork willpower only works on machines, not on the smoothness or production of tires.

There's a reason why every vehicle built for war has an elevated base and I can tell you now that that ork car wouldn't last 1 minute, before it gets thrown into the air like a rag doll. Especially with the wings at the front, because all the debris will just slow down or savagely stop that car.

In short, it doesn't look 40k at all and doesn't belong in the 40k universe and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to say that out of everything they've ever produced since I started in 5th edition.

Edited by antique_nova, 18 August 2018 - 02:40 PM.

• Vel'Cona and D3L like this

Competitive list builder who lives, breathes and plays in Grand Tournaments.

Looking for anyone who is willing to sell their heat 2/3/4 Nottingham GT ticket to me.

The one that is sold out in the link below:

https://warhammerwor...and-tournament/

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,600 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion
I think that squig co pilot is so damn cute.
  • Frostblade, Sawtooth, Lexington and 2 others like this
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,319 posts
I fell the same, but I don't play orks, so really does not bother me that much.
From a race that build a teleporter that could move moons, I can expect anything.

Edited by Sete, 18 August 2018 - 02:43 PM.

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,789 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!
Is this news or a rumour?

gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_30096.jpg

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,319 posts

Is this news or a rumour?

Yesn't
  • Warhead01 and Calyptra like this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,213 posts

I actually really like the new Ork buggies. They looks frigging awesome.

So, I just saw the new ork vehicles and I am severely disappointed, because it makes no sense.

I know there is orks make no sense, but then there is 40k makes no sense, makes no sense.

My first question is where the hell did the Orks get the designs for a formula one car? Nothing in the imperial arsenal or any other species arsenal even closely resembles that ork formula 1 car and orks are not capable of creating such clean designs.

The design is also far too clean and aerodynamic for an ork vehicle. Ork designs are meant to be big, brutish and edgy (literally) and this formula 1 car is the exact opposite of that. Plus, where the hell are orks going to manufactor, let alone get the smooth tires necessary, especially when most battlefields are nowhere near smooth enough for that car to run and run fast at all, because they are not easy to create and Ork willpower only works on machines, not on the smoothness or production of tires.

There's a reason why every vehicle built for war has an elevated base and I can tell you now that that ork car wouldn't last 1 minute, before it gets thrown into the air like a rag doll. Especially with the wings at the front, because all the debris will just slow down or savagely stop that car.

In short, it doesn't look 40k at all and doesn't belong in the 40k universe and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to say that out of everything they've ever produced since I started in 5th edition.

You're questioning design logic of a race that weaponized moons using teleporter technology?

And really, the box is called "Speed Freaks". Of all the orks, the Speed Freaks are the ones who seem to understand aerodynamics, as a lot of speed freak vehicles look marginally more aerodynamic than other orky vehicles.

Also the comment about the vehicle being too low: Have you ever seen Marine Bikes? laugh.png

• Isinfier likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,207 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
I think they're zoggin cool and can't wait to see how much we can kustomize them.
  • PiñaColada likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 295 posts
All the Imperium has to do to thwart them is put down speed bumps. The chassis sits so low to the ground it would destroy the undercarriage spectacularly. The other orks sure would get a kick out of that though.

Now if they were racing in the Indy 500, they’d be good to go...

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,323 posts
If enough believe there’s enough clearance they should be fine.
  • Sawtooth, Kinstryfe, Trokair and 5 others like this

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 295 posts

If enough believe there’s enough clearance they should be fine.

Lol and this is why orks iz da bestest
  • Trokair likes this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,135 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
If an Ork believes that car can be driven on a Battlefield....
  • 01RTB01 likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
  • Faction: Dark Eldar
I think the new buggies are great. I'm a little uncertain about how low they are, but that's certainly not a deal breaker for me. Everything else is wonderful.

While the Orks excell at proactive recycling and improvisation, they do also fabricate their own, more considered designs. And a lot of it just has to do with the personalities of the relevant Meks.

Put differently, Orks possess the most advanced field technology in the galaxy. They are certainly capable of building clean designs if they want to.

Something that's been lost over the years is the distinct look of the different Clans. I think it's relevant here because Snakebites or Deathskulls vehicles are going to look a lot more scrap-built than Evil Sunz or Bad Moons.
  • Flame Boy and 01RTB01 like this
ETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_DrukarETL_VI_Badge_Artisan.jpggallery_30308_9518_10445.pnggallery_30308_9518_5763.png
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans
You can find me on Instagram twice! Hobby stuff and art/circus stuff

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,600 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion
Do squigs put their head out the window when Speed Freaks are flying down the badlands?
  • Focslain, walpurgisnacht, Parweke and 3 others like this
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,124 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter

Orks are made up, and part of a universe that's an amalgam of modern pop sci-fi floatsam and clear analogues of fantasy races. "Why are they like things we have" isn't really the question to ask.

As to the design, Ork vehicles aren't all the same. The ones that are meant to go fast look like they should go fast. Been this way since always.

Edited by Lexington, 18 August 2018 - 04:15 PM.

rwgf_bannerlogo.png

Brother Sgt Arkley

Brother Sgt Arkley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,668 posts

I can imagine Ork Meks making the fastest cars on places like that planet the Orks fight the Scars on. 

Dragsters, Hotrods etc... They are the Speed Freaks smile.png

I can't wait to see a diorama of a downed Eldar Grav tank and a Buggy using it as a ramp to crash into a WraithKnight or Lord smile.png

Edited by Brother Sgt Arkley, 18 August 2018 - 04:20 PM.

gallery_69091_12729_11324.pnggallery_69091_12729_5353.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013F.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifsml_gallery_29004_10691_5192.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_69091_12503_3885.gifgallery_69091_12729_1465.gifgallery_69091_12729_7412.pnggallery_4664_5295_5937.gif

Along side Elmo, a proud member of the Stobz Harassment tag-team since 2012

Red Unforgiven???!!! What is this Heresy - Overrated?

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,893 posts
Wait, Ork's are fictional? I just assumed they were a tabletop representation of our Australian board members.

I've been holding off on collecting an ork army for a decade. These new models might just change that.
  • Gederas, Brother Sgt Arkley and Supe robot gangster #1 like this

If you're using grimdark unironically you're part of the problem.

DERP IT'S STORMCAST 40K LOL

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,207 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Imagine being so helpless you can't even do a simple modification to raise the ride height of the vehicles.
  • Isinfier likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,213 posts

I've been holding off on collecting an ork army for a decade. These new models might just change that.

Same here!

I mean, well... Not the decade part :lol: I was interested in Orks from the get-go from when I started playing 40k, but never felt that they had enough decently sized vehicles that aren't expensive. (seriously. The buggy is 30 bucks and looks like a go-kart :lol:) This changes all of that.

toaae

toaae

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Orks, Blood Angels

I plan on raising them, as I also don't really like how low they are. But the aesthetic design I don't have a problem with, and there's more than enough orky gubbins on it to make it fit in with previous models. I think I would have preferred a proper "buggy", but these are sick models and I'll be getting multiple.

My favorite community is now open to my favorite army. We live in an enlightened age.

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread
 (updated: 12/2/18)

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

antique_nova

antique_nova

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,876 posts
The Ork vehicles as I mentioned before are "too areodynamic" And you guy seem to miss the point about ork designs.

Ork designs are based on copying others. Other planes, other titans (bigger Orks basically) And so are their teleportation devices.

My question is where did they find the inspiration to build a formula 1 car? To make super smooth tires? No race I know has either of those things.

Plus, the front plow will hit a rock and send the car flying, because it hugs the ground too much

Competitive list builder who lives, breathes and plays in Grand Tournaments.

Looking for anyone who is willing to sell their heat 2/3/4 Nottingham GT ticket to me.

The one that is sold out in the link below:

https://warhammerwor...and-tournament/

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,342 posts

I think the new buggies are great. I'm a little uncertain about how low they are, but that's certainly not a deal breaker for me. Everything else is wonderful.

While the Orks excell at proactive recycling and improvisation, they do also fabricate their own, more considered designs. And a lot of it just has to do with the personalities of the relevant Meks.

Put differently, Orks possess the most advanced field technology in the galaxy. They are certainly capable of building clean designs if they want to.

Something that's been lost over the years is the distinct look of the different Clans. I think it's relevant here because Snakebites or Deathskulls vehicles are going to look a lot more scrap-built than Evil Sunz or Bad Moons.

Oh I don't know. I think my deathskullz vehicles will look suspiciously like other clan's stuff with some hefty repaint :D

As to the OP. Orks are at a stage whereby if they believe, it literally will work - don't forget the narrative whereby imperials tried using Ork guns and they simply didn't fire. Ork psyche is incredibly powerful.

Those buggies ain't crashing and the ground clearance is no issue :P
  • Dumah and Calyptra like this

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,439 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
I like 'em. If anyone is going to have an instinctive sense of aerodynamics, it would be the Speed Freeks. They'd probably be able to conceive of smooth tracks for the races, too. And if they crash in battle, well, that's always good for a laugh, right ladz? :D
  • Zebulon likes this
The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Everything is complete!
Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

toaae

toaae

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Orks, Blood Angels

Ork designs are based on copying others. Other planes, other titans (bigger Orks basically) And so are their teleportation devices.

They are not. Gargants were inspired by encounters with Imperium titans, but they are designed based on the Mek's personal interpretation of Gork and Mork. Other vehicles are up to the whims of the Mek building it. And their teleportation devices, much like most of their actual teknology, is hardcoded into their DNA, and is often more sophisticated than Imperium equivalents.

• Lexington, DuskRaider, shandwen and 1 other like this

My favorite community is now open to my favorite army. We live in an enlightened age.

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread
 (updated: 12/2/18)

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

Sawtooth

Sawtooth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,439 posts

I love them. I also find it hilarious that they mounted a shokk attack gun on the back to give speed boosts when it fires. Nothing about Ork vehicles needs to actually make sense to me and I like it that way :)

• 01RTB01 likes this
The man who has nothing can still have faith.

CardinalVirtue

CardinalVirtue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,100 posts
  • Faction: The Raven Order

The Ork vehicles as I mentioned before are "too areodynamic" And you guy seem to miss the point about ork designs.

My question is where did they find the inspiration to build a formula 1 car? To make super smooth tires? No race I know has either of those things.

Plus, the front plow will hit a rock and send the car flying, because it hugs the ground too much

This is hilariously wrong. Orks don't copy the teleportation technology of others, they have the most sophisticated and advanced teleportation technology in the galaxy. As far as other tech, Ork technology has always been a combination of stuff hardcoded into their genes, copying things they like, and actual creativity. I kind of feel like all your ork background comes from memes.
  • Warhead01, DuskRaider, Redtoof and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users