New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

antique_nova

So, I just saw the new ork vehicles and I am severely disappointed, because it makes no sense.

I know there is orks make no sense, but then there is 40k makes no sense, makes no sense.

I linked the video with the image below:

My first question is where the hell did the Orks get the designs for a formula one car? Nothing in the imperial arsenal or any other species arsenal even closely resembles that ork formula 1 car and orks are not capable of creating such clean designs.

The design is also far too clean and aerodynamic for an ork vehicle. Ork designs are meant to be big, brutish and edgy (literally) and this formula 1 car is the exact opposite of that. Plus, where the hell are orks going to manufactor, let alone get the smooth tires necessary, especially when most battlefields are nowhere near smooth enough for that car to run and run fast at all, because they are not easy to create and Ork willpower only works on machines, not on the smoothness or production of tires.

There's a reason why every vehicle built for war has an elevated base and I can tell you now that that ork car wouldn't last 1 minute, before it gets thrown into the air like a rag doll. Especially with the wings at the front, because all the debris will just slow down or savagely stop that car.

In short, it doesn't look 40k at all and doesn't belong in the 40k universe and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to say that out of everything they've ever produced since I started in 5th edition.

I actually really like the new Ork buggies. They looks frigging awesome.

So, I just saw the new ork vehicles and I am severely disappointed, because it makes no sense.

I know there is orks make no sense, but then there is 40k makes no sense, makes no sense.

My first question is where the hell did the Orks get the designs for a formula one car? Nothing in the imperial arsenal or any other species arsenal even closely resembles that ork formula 1 car and orks are not capable of creating such clean designs.

The design is also far too clean and aerodynamic for an ork vehicle. Ork designs are meant to be big, brutish and edgy (literally) and this formula 1 car is the exact opposite of that. Plus, where the hell are orks going to manufactor, let alone get the smooth tires necessary, especially when most battlefields are nowhere near smooth enough for that car to run and run fast at all, because they are not easy to create and Ork willpower only works on machines, not on the smoothness or production of tires.

There's a reason why every vehicle built for war has an elevated base and I can tell you now that that ork car wouldn't last 1 minute, before it gets thrown into the air like a rag doll. Especially with the wings at the front, because all the debris will just slow down or savagely stop that car.

In short, it doesn't look 40k at all and doesn't belong in the 40k universe and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to say that out of everything they've ever produced since I started in 5th edition.

You're questioning design logic of a race that weaponized moons using teleporter technology?

And really, the box is called "Speed Freaks". Of all the orks, the Speed Freaks are the ones who seem to understand aerodynamics, as a lot of speed freak vehicles look marginally more aerodynamic than other orky vehicles.

Also the comment about the vehicle being too low: Have you ever seen Marine Bikes? :laugh.:

All the Imperium has to do to thwart them is put down speed bumps. The chassis sits so low to the ground it would destroy the undercarriage spectacularly. The other orks sure would get a kick out of that though.

Now if they were racing in the Indy 500, they’d be good to go...

I think the new buggies are great. I'm a little uncertain about how low they are, but that's certainly not a deal breaker for me. Everything else is wonderful.

While the Orks excell at proactive recycling and improvisation, they do also fabricate their own, more considered designs. And a lot of it just has to do with the personalities of the relevant Meks.

Put differently, Orks possess the most advanced field technology in the galaxy. They are certainly capable of building clean designs if they want to.

Something that's been lost over the years is the distinct look of the different Clans. I think it's relevant here because Snakebites or Deathskulls vehicles are going to look a lot more scrap-built than Evil Sunz or Bad Moons.

Orks are made up, and part of a universe that's an amalgam of modern pop sci-fi floatsam and clear analogues of fantasy races. "Why are they like things we have" isn't really the question to ask.

As to the design, Ork vehicles aren't all the same. The ones that are meant to go fast look like they should go fast. Been this way since always.

Wait, Ork's are fictional? I just assumed they were a tabletop representation of our Australian board members.

I've been holding off on collecting an ork army for a decade. These new models might just change that.

I've been holding off on collecting an ork army for a decade. These new models might just change that.

Same here!

I mean, well... Not the decade part :lol: I was interested in Orks from the get-go from when I started playing 40k, but never felt that they had enough decently sized vehicles that aren't expensive. (seriously. The buggy is 30 bucks and looks like a go-kart :lol:) This changes all of that.

I plan on raising them, as I also don't really like how low they are. But the aesthetic design I don't have a problem with, and there's more than enough orky gubbins on it to make it fit in with previous models. I think I would have preferred a proper "buggy", but these are sick models and I'll be getting multiple.

The Ork vehicles as I mentioned before are "too areodynamic" And you guy seem to miss the point about ork designs.

Ork designs are based on copying others. Other planes, other titans (bigger Orks basically) And so are their teleportation devices.

My question is where did they find the inspiration to build a formula 1 car? To make super smooth tires? No race I know has either of those things.

Plus, the front plow will hit a rock and send the car flying, because it hugs the ground too much

I think the new buggies are great. I'm a little uncertain about how low they are, but that's certainly not a deal breaker for me. Everything else is wonderful.

While the Orks excell at proactive recycling and improvisation, they do also fabricate their own, more considered designs. And a lot of it just has to do with the personalities of the relevant Meks.

Put differently, Orks possess the most advanced field technology in the galaxy. They are certainly capable of building clean designs if they want to.

Something that's been lost over the years is the distinct look of the different Clans. I think it's relevant here because Snakebites or Deathskulls vehicles are going to look a lot more scrap-built than Evil Sunz or Bad Moons.

Oh I don't know. I think my deathskullz vehicles will look suspiciously like other clan's stuff with some hefty repaint :D

As to the OP. Orks are at a stage whereby if they believe, it literally will work - don't forget the narrative whereby imperials tried using Ork guns and they simply didn't fire. Ork psyche is incredibly powerful.

Those buggies ain't crashing and the ground clearance is no issue :p

I like 'em. If anyone is going to have an instinctive sense of aerodynamics, it would be the Speed Freeks. They'd probably be able to conceive of smooth tracks for the races, too. And if they crash in battle, well, that's always good for a laugh, right ladz? :D

Ork designs are based on copying others. Other planes, other titans (bigger Orks basically) And so are their teleportation devices.

They are not. Gargants were inspired by encounters with Imperium titans, but they are designed based on the Mek's personal interpretation of Gork and Mork. Other vehicles are up to the whims of the Mek building it. And their teleportation devices, much like most of their actual teknology, is hardcoded into their DNA, and is often more sophisticated than Imperium equivalents.

The Ork vehicles as I mentioned before are "too areodynamic" And you guy seem to miss the point about ork designs.

My question is where did they find the inspiration to build a formula 1 car? To make super smooth tires? No race I know has either of those things.

Plus, the front plow will hit a rock and send the car flying, because it hugs the ground too much

This is hilariously wrong. Orks don't copy the teleportation technology of others, they have the most sophisticated and advanced teleportation technology in the galaxy. As far as other tech, Ork technology has always been a combination of stuff hardcoded into their genes, copying things they like, and actual creativity. I kind of feel like all your ork background comes from memes.

Archived