New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

antique_nova

Having Ork vehicles that resemble 20th century human vehicles is no more strange than Freebooters managing to resemble human pirates. A lot of pre-3rd edition Ork models has lots of curved surfaces and less random bits of metal nailed in place. The models themselves were crude but the designs did not look as primitive as current Ork weapons. Meks are highly individual and if they can successfully create aircraft and helicopters some must have enough understanding about aerodynamics to be able to make a more streamlined ground vehicle, no problem. The lack of ground clearance is annoying but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker for me anyway.

My question is where did they find the inspiration to build a formula 1 car?

I've heard this referred to a convergent design development. Essentially, given similar parameters and optimisation pressures it is not unlikely for very similar designs to arise totally independently.

So, to arrive at Ork formula style buggies all we need to do is infer that at some point some speed freaks had access to a sufficiently flat track for long enough that the meks attuned and tuned to it. Somewhere like a salt flat is naturally occurring geography. And, like Gargants, once the design gets in the racial memory, there it remains.

And if that's not rationalisation enough, I'll also point out that 'Speedstas' have a long pedigree from epic.

I was of the understanding that it’s the Orks that DO invent things. Meks invent things and they all come together to create gargants driven by an urge to create their version of Gork or Mork. Titans are the counter or copy of the Gargant stemming from the imperium coming up against Gargants that the Orks invented.

The imperium are unable to invent anymore (Primaris fluff not withstanding) and have to copy from old templates. Tech marines can’t invent or design things. Meks can.

I’ve been reading the opposite of this on this thread for some reason.

Orks will also loot things and copy things but they do create too.

Already been mentioned but there are a LOT of these types of designs from the epic scale game from way back.

I think creativity in 40k is limited to Orks, Drukhari, Tau, and Belisarius Cawl. Am I forgetting anyone?

Regardless, Orks are *extremely* creative and innovative. And cheerfully undeterred by how many of their innovations explode.

Honestly, "cheerfully undeterred" is probably as important a part of the Orkish character as "extremely violent."

Just a few thing about there vehicles. 
What's to sat that these weren't found on the planet and "improved" upon by the meks.  Orks do build their own things. 
I've often thought, how long would it take TV transmission to to reach far enough into space to be received by alien life. It is said that from the out set everywhere humans went in space there are Orks.  So we can easily blame F1 looking buggies on Humans.  
As far as ground clearance* on the yellow one. I do think it looks a little low but again would that even be a major problem in the location they are said to be racing for that game? it becomes more of a problem in less flat terrain. Not all deserts are the same after all. 
For myself I hope that the front end of the yellow one isn't firmly part of the model. I prefer the rat rod looking buggy but am holding out judgment until I get these on my table.

The beauty here is not the vehicles but that the backwards imperials would be just as baffled  as most everyone else as to the why's and what fores.  (Especially those who just throw out the whole "if the Orks thinks it'll work it'll work" statement. :yucky: Imperials can't even change a light bulb with out supervision from the church  of the, let there be light if we change this bulb cult, after all. Unsupervised light bulb changing is heresy after all.:ermm: I'm just sayin' ) 

I was thinking I'd chop up the front end a bit make it ragged looking and maybe a little more Mad Max. I may still mod some trukks down to Buggies but it depends on the units rules and we don't even know how many different entries these will be in the codex.

Over all I think these are new and interesting if a little too human, be I've already established who I think is the culprit there...   Part of the early ness of my WAAAAAGH was that they found Rob Zombie in cryo woke him up and mad him dance around before the Mek ate his brain on a dare.....canceling the show. 

Also, I have read speculation that there will be another kit that will have far more parts in it than these, likely, push together models.  Who knows.

*As far as low ground clearance it occurs to me that the old War Buggy didn't really have any clearance either.

I think i needs to be said. 

These new models are low to the ground, but they have been built for a racing game, and not a game taking place on a battlefield. 

Now while they will have 40k rules, I expect the atheistic choices made were for the Speed Freaks game, not 40k. 

Also note the last 'buggy' with the slick tires, has a Shock-Attack Engine, meaning that it will drive in the warp not the battlefield. It is the orkish eqivently of a warp spider.  (complete with ramp and blades to chop up any daemons it meets as it speeds though the warp) 

On a side note I am looking forward to seeing these vehicles next to other vehicles like the Trukk and battle wagon for size comparison. 

In the between time I am planning to cannibalize some trukks I have, that I was thinking about trading to see what kind of monstrosities I come up with for new buggies. 

On a side note I am looking forward to seeing these vehicles next to other vehicles like the Trukk and battle wagon for size comparison. 

In the between time I am planning to cannibalize some trukks I have, that I was thinking about trading to see what kind of monstrosities I come up with for new buggies. 

Same! I have my old 3rd war of Armageddon Cult of Speed on its way out of storage, and its got a date with the ultrasonic cleaner.. and I been picking up bits from ebay and plan on building some kitbashes. (Weather actual counts as for the new bugys, or models using the entry from the index if needed).  

Same! I have my old 3rd war of Armageddon Cult of Speed on its way out of storage, and its got a date with the ultrasonic cleaner.. and I been picking up bits from ebay and plan on building some kitbashes. (Weather actual counts as for the new bugys, or models using the entry from the index if needed).  

I'm already making progress on my build. I'll post about it in my thread later. Wondering if there would be interest in a Ork community Kit bash thread. If so we should start one. 

I'm already making progress on my build. I'll post about it in my thread later. Wondering if there would be interest in a Ork community Kit bash thread. If so we should start one.

I'm interested in an Ork Community Kitbash Thread. Might be useful for all of the mekaniaks on the forum. A place where everyone can spitball ideas, and get/loot ideas from others.

I can already think of a name: Da Big Mek's Shop - Ork Community Kitbash Thread, or something like that :lol:

I'm interested in an Ork Community Kitbash Thread. Might be useful for all of the mekaniaks on the forum. A place where everyone can spitball ideas, and get/loot ideas from others.

I can already think of a name: Da Big Mek's Shop - Ork Community Kitbash Thread, or something like that :laugh.:

YES! 

Sounds like a great plan!

I don't understand the reasoning that Ork vehicles need to look completely slapped together to be orky. They're clearly made of trash, just done in a "cool" way. I mean, hasn't everyone been going mental for Mad Max Orks since Fury Road came out if the conversion are anything to go by, seems a solid direction for them to go on while they update the range.

The formula 1 thing is daft as well. 40K has always used allusions to pop culture in its design philosophy - it's one of the main draws of the setting. Ork Formula 1 cars is awesome and not without precedent - the battle wagon is basically just a big truck.

I think the new buggies are just amazing... There's something so delightfully and perfectly stupid about them. And Warhammer is at it's core stupid, none of it makes any sense and I love that. I've shelved plans to add Thousand Sons to my AoS Tzeentch Deamons to pick up the Speed Freaks game and start a Kult of Speed army crammed with as many of these new vehicles, Trucks, Battlewagons and bikes as I can.

For me one of the best models GW have come up with in years and at the moment, that's really saying something! Ground clearance be damned, these are immense.

AND we haven't seen the full kit yet or all the other Orky goodness coming out in Orktober.

The hot rod definitely makes more sense than the F1 car, and I like it more.

Both are truly amazing, I wonder how they'll actually look on the tabletop next to various war machines.

The hot rod definitely makes more sense than the F1 car, and I like it more.

Both are truly amazing, I wonder how they'll actually look on the tabletop next to various war machines.

They'll look ridiculous, in the best of ways. 

Also, I'm very interested in how the shokkjump technology will be represented by the 40k ruleset.. Temporary fly ability? Something more akin to mortarions lantern, where you'd have the option to activate the ability on a 4+ (and the roll of of 1 just kills you) and every model/unit you move over takes a mortal wound. For the sake of that ability you basically also have fly and get to move your move characteristic if you don't end that move witin 1" of an enemy unit.

My bet is that when the Shokkjump buggy advances you can just move through models and terrain as if you had the FLY keyword. Or if they want to make it less reliable on an advance move of x+.

I mean, that does make sense. I just hope it's a bit zanier than that. It's basically a scrap built warp drive, that shouldn't just translate to <keyword fly> in my opinion

I agree, but I'd settle for it on a Battle Wagon.  Would be a heck of a thing.

Archived