New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

antique_nova

I mean, that does make sense. I just hope it's a bit zanier than that. It's basically a scrap built warp drive, that shouldn't just translate to <keyword fly> in my opinion

"Zanier" is the last thing the Orks realy need, gameplay wise. They are already a hord army and additional of random tables and rules will make there games even slower! 

I think special 'Advance' Rules make a lot of sense, and I doubt it will be <Keyword Fly>, closer probably to movement of the flip-belt. 

I mean, that does make sense. I just hope it's a bit zanier than that. It's basically a scrap built warp drive, that shouldn't just translate to <keyword fly> in my opinion

"Zanier" is the last thing the Orks realy need, gameplay wise. They are already a hord army and additional of random tables and rules will make there games even slower! 

I think special 'Advance' Rules make a lot of sense, and I doubt it will be <Keyword Fly>, closer probably to movement of the flip-belt. 

Zanier doesn't have to result in some sort of additional table to look up though, just something a bit more interesting than a simple move modifier is warranted in my eyes.

Also, a lot of us are not playing orks as a horde army (even though the current ruleset & index basically forces it) but rather as a thematic speed freeks list. Orks are slow when they're run as a horde because of a massive amount of dice rolls, as in the shooting phase when an entire unit of boys roll like 60 shots to just kill a handful of space marines in cover or a painboy trying to stop multidamage weaponry. A buggy taking the "list space" of 10-ish boys (these new ones I'd wager are a bit pricier than the bog standard ones) would probably still speed up the game quite a bit, all in all.

I do understand the concern though, which is why I'd want it to be a simple rule to memorize and not a separate table.  I still think the mortarion type of lantern attack could be fun, but maybe that's better suited as a stratagem?

Zanier doesn't have to result in some sort of additional table to look up though, just something a bit more interesting than a simple move modifier is warranted in my eyes.

Also, a lot of us are not playing orks as a horde army (even though the current ruleset & index basically forces it) but rather as a thematic speed freeks list. Orks are slow when they're run as a horde because of a massive amount of dice rolls, as in the shooting phase when an entire unit of boys roll like 60 shots to just kill a handful of space marines in cover or a painboy trying to stop multidamage weaponry. A buggy taking the "list space" of 10-ish boys (these new ones I'd wager are a bit pricier than the bog standard ones) would probably still speed up the game quite a bit, all in all.

I do understand the concern though, which is why I'd want it to be a simple rule to memorize and not a separate table.  I still think the mortarion type of lantern attack could be fun, but maybe that's better suited as a stratagem?

I could go for Zanier, if all the units are choices at the right points cost. (And how that's done is well above my mental capacity most days.) 

I think a problem is players seeing on set of choices and forsaking all others. Where as, for my self I see everything as a choice this edition. 

Boys is good but it's a bit basic innit? (Read that in an Ork voice.) 

I'm running lists resembling old 3rd edition WD battle report style lists and doing well enough. The old Gorka Morka builds with some speed and some foot + support. Nothing to an extreme. Maybe not top end competitive but against, for example, an aggressive SoB list or aggressive, if paranoid, Space Wolves list I've acquitted myself very well. And had a blast!

Lastly on the Zanier, if all the rules for said Zany thing are on the data sheet.... saves some time not flipping more pages than we have to. (Or doesn't matter?) 

Still, make me think of that AoS Bonesplitterz spell where it doubles target units move or on a double roll to cast triples that units base move. 9, 18, 27 then charge. (cast on Boar boys.) Oh, and they count as flying.  So roll a D6 on a 1 X happens, likely a Mortal wound or more, on a 2 -5 double move and a 6 triple move? Easy enough. 

A move that ignores terrain and other units would be fun enough on it's own I think? You could move up to a screening unit then activate the shock gun move to move straight through it / explode.

To be honest I like the model so much the rules could be a complete dud and I'd still use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda hope orks have 2-3 additional vehicles, that we do not get models for*

* instead the instructions to build them are a combo of the other box sets.

Buggy + war track = rocket track

Extremely unlikely.

Mores the pity... But now vehicles have Bases you can convert you own and know the footprint of the model will be correct. Any vehicle with a grinder on the front and Shokk Attack gubbinz on the back is the Dragsta etc

Not even Shokk Attack Gubbinz, i have a version I am looking at building using bits from the tellyport blasta from the meganobz kit.

In fact all 4 of my old style buggy's are getting ready for a makeover.  

• 2 weeks later...

My first question is where the hell did the Orks get the designs for a formula one car? Nothing in the imperial arsenal or any other species arsenal even closely resembles that ork formula 1 car and orks are not capable of creating such clean designs.

The design is also far too clean and aerodynamic for an ork vehicle. Ork designs are meant to be big, brutish and edgy (literally) and this formula 1 car is the exact opposite of that. Plus, where the hell are orks going to manufactor, let alone get the smooth tires necessary, especially when most battlefields are nowhere near smooth enough for that car to run and run fast at all, because they are not easy to create and Ork willpower only works on machines, not on the smoothness or production of tires.

There's a reason why every vehicle built for war has an elevated base and I can tell you now that that ork car wouldn't last 1 minute, before it gets thrown into the air like a rag doll. Especially with the wings at the front, because all the debris will just slow down or savagely stop that car.

Hmm, all I'll say here is:

Did you ever see the Ork vehicles from Space Marine (Epic) 2nd Edition?

Speedstas and Dragstas are the main culprits, but mention should also be made of Spleenrippas, Gobsmashas and Lungburstas amongst others.

Also Orks are a LOT older than humanity and their knack for building things is ingrained into their genes. Krork, the species Ork origin from used to wear armour more similar to Eldar in design etc so it's not too farfetched that they still have some of that knowledge remaining on an instinctual level somewhere. Formular one cars are a lot about aerodynamics, not just design to look cool, so it's entirely plausible for a savvy Ork mech to get to the same results so the driver can still control the buggy at such speeds.

About the tires ... I think you are severely underestimating the level of technology Orks are capable of. Just because they usually prefer a low tech approach to things it doesn't mean they aren't capable of more. Just take their teleporter technology for example which is much more advanced than imperial teleporter technology ... it's just used in a way no sane human would use it.

And last but not least ... they are Orks. It doesn't have to make sense. Part of why people like them is because they aren't meant to be taken too seriously and you can build whatever the hell you want without it being out of place in an Ork army. Just relax and enjoy the awesome models. :wink:

EDIT: and I just see the post I replied to is about a month old already. Nevermind. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Phew, glad to be back before the real reveals start popping up.

Yet another amazing vehicle and "advert" (Orks know... you don't need wings to fly) and a silhouette of ANOTHER vehicle that's some kind of Squig minelayer.

This release looks to be well above my expectations, I need that codex!!!

The newest reveal, the Squigbuggy, looks like something I'll most likely buy. Very nice-looking. The Wartrike - possibly, if there's not an actual bike warboss. And of course depends on price, not much spare money to play around with I'm afraid. Snazzwagon and Boosta-Blasta look decent, but not "must-buy". May depend on rules in the longer run.

One thing I found myself pondering is that I must say the new krews look quite different from current orks. Curious to see that if/when any infantry kits get revealed what they'll be like. I like the old ork aesthetic - except some of the heads I guess - so how different it'll end up being and thus whether or not mixed model armies end up looking strange... I guess we'll find out soon.

So far we have 6 Vehicle/Bike reveals for all the Speed Freeks out there, and I'd say it's about time!  My personal favourite is the Dragsta because it looks like a race car (thought it should obviously be painted red :P).  Overall, cool new Warbuggy/Wartrakk re-imaginings that should add a bit more mobility to the otherwise plodding Ork army.

I'm loving all the designs, they're both Orky, and a product of the new design processes, so super detailed. With the distinct sillouhettes I'm expecting there to be plenty of room for converting, even if it'll be a case of cutting lots of bits to kitbash with Battlewagon and Trukk parts

I'd be interested in a Speed Freak-style force in that I'm not much for painting hordes, but since I already have basic foot troops - mostly unpainted or basecoated, admittedly - I don't see myself buying too many of these since they all won't fit in the same lists anyway. And mind you, mine still isn't a true horde, only ~60 boyz plus lootas and nobz and whathaveyou. Maybe if there's a new transport, could buy one of those if it's cool. I still want some meganobz and a jumpy boyz too, but it gets so costly so fast. Hard to justify because even though I see a sharp increase (it'd be hard to get a decrease at my rates) in 40k gameplay in the future, I already have probably at least 15k across all of my armies, most of which haven't seen a gaming table yet.

I'm honestly kind of torn on how to feel about the vehicles. I mean, from a design standpoint they're fantastic. They all look real flash and I'm sure Evil Sunz/Speed Freeks players are going nuts right now, and they should be! But, at the same time, I'm hoping the only new kits we are getting aren't just buggies and bikes. We still have super limited options for our warbosses, nobz, kommandos, etc. Not trying to start a whingefest, just holding out hope for a bit more beyond just new buggies :) Id love to see a multi part plastic warboss and maybe a separate upgrade sprue compatible with the boyz box to make some of the other foot slogging choices in the dex.

Archived