New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

antique_nova

I can't but help feel like the Squigbuggy, to me the nicest of the new buggies, is too points-intensive (as per leaks) for its average damage potential. Hard time deciding whether to buy it on release or not given my limited finances. Although I guess I'm not yet sold on the Wartrike either. It's a lot of points too and would only help the charges of my bikers, of which there are only 6 at the moment.

What is it 140 points? 

I didn't know that when I put mine on order but I just wanted to buy the ones I like the look of the most.  Trukks came down in points a far bit so I may have easy room for it in my next lest. 

Still, I would have got the Kustom boom wagon if it were a stand alone kit, heck I've been saving for months just for the Ork release and then it was all vehicles with loads of detail so I can't buy too many in one go or I'll never get them all painted.

Yeah, 140. For now I think I'll just get the codex and probably datacards and skip the vehicles until a later date. After all I have more than enough models for a 2k ork list as it is, just need to paint more. Gives me a better perspective on what of what I have works and what doesn't and what might be needed, and experiences from others about the new vehicles in particular. I'll probably get the squigbuggy just for the looks if nothing else at some point, though.

Upon seeing them all, the Scrapjet and Custom Boosta F1 car are the best lol

Best models?  The Scrapjet it my number 3 pick and the Boosta came in last. Well it tied with the Deffkilla War trike for last any way.  

Got my Speed Freeks box - it's got some weight in it! The game board is pretty heavy stuff!

The buggies look great on sprue, can't wait to build them but I'm most impressed with the terrain. The details down in the wells of the wheels is just amazing. Very impressive molding tech they have.

Personally (aesthetics)

1. Squigbuggy and Scrapjet

2. Boomdakka Snazzwagon

3. Dragsta

4. Kustom Boosta-blasta

5. Trike

I'm intrigued as to how well a speed freek force will work.

Can't wait to try! (Death skulls mind, none of them others...)

Got my Speed Freeks box - it's got some weight in it! The game board is pretty heavy stuff!

The buggies look great on sprue, can't wait to build them but I'm most impressed with the terrain. The details down in the wells of the wheels is just amazing. Very impressive molding tech they have.

Beware:

The spikes on these new buggies are SHARP. Like, I actually drew blood building the Shokkjump Dragsta's wheels.

Upon seeing them all, the Scrapjet and Custom Boosta F1 car are the best lol

Best models? The Scrapjet it my number 3 pick and the Boosta came in last. Well it tied with the Deffkilla War trike for last any way.

Best rules, sorry. I should have been more specific.

Beware:

The spikes on these new buggies are SHARP. Like, I actually drew blood building the Shokkjump Dragsta's wheels.

I learned that quite a few years back - on the Killa Kans when they first came out. I feel that was the point that GW's molding stepped up a notch (much to the chagrin of my poor delicate fingers...)

I made a bit of a start on the Dragster myself, looks great and I especially like the Lotus 7 style bonnet! Trying to work out what sub assemblies are going to work best for painting though.

Beware:

I learned that quite a few years back - on the Killa Kans when they first came out. I feel that was the point that GW's molding stepped up a notch (much to the chagrin of my poor delicate fingers...)

I made a bit of a start on the Dragster myself, looks great and I especially like the Lotus 7 style bonnet! Trying to work out what sub assemblies are going to work best for painting though.

Want a recommendation?

I broke them down into these sub-assemblies:

Dragsta:

• Body of Dragsta
  • Driver
  • Grot 1
  • Grot 2
  • Shokk Rifle
  • Wheels
  • Spoiler
  • Bars in front of driver (dunno the technical name :lol:)
  • Rokkits

Boosta-Blasta:

• Body of vehicle
  • Driver
  • Grot 1
  • Grot 2
  • Front Wheels
  • Top of cab (with the chains attached to it)
  • Gunner
  • The cage that goes around the gunner

That's how I'm working with them.

Is it possible to put different wheels on that dragsta?

Yes. But you need to one, find wheels of differing sizes due to the construction, and two, you need to have ones that fit the front due to the fender.

For example, I just poster tac'd wheels from the Trukk kit onto the Dragsta here:

ycU0YCD.jpg

The spikes on the front wheels would actually hit the front fender if they were rotating.

Beware:

Want a recommendation?

I broke them down into these sub-assemblies:

Dragsta:

• Body of Dragsta
  • Driver
  • Grot 1
  • Grot 2
  • Shokk Rifle
  • Wheels
  • Spoiler
  • Bars in front of driver (dunno the technical name :laugh.:)
  • Rokkits

Boosta-Blasta:

• Body of vehicle
  • Driver
  • Grot 1
  • Grot 2
  • Front Wheels
  • Top of cab (with the chains attached to it)
  • Gunner
  • The cage that goes around the gunner

That's how I'm working with them.

Awesome, ta!

Have you put the feet in the cab? Or stuck them to the driver?

Is it possible to put different wheels on that dragsta?

Yes. But you need to one, find wheels of differing sizes due to the construction, and two, you need to have ones that fit the front due to the fender.

For example, I just poster tac'd wheels from the Trukk kit onto the Dragsta here:

ycU0YCD.jpg

The spikes on the front wheels would actually hit the front fender if they were rotating.

If I get any other vehicles other than the boom dakka and rukka I think I have to convert them to make them look more rugged and off roady.

I cant wait to build my rukka truck

I’m working on mine now. Getting them into sub-assemblies before I hit them with rattle cans.

I’m really enjoying making these models.

I have seen someone add plates and chains to the dragsta tyres to give them grip.

Recommendation for anyone doing sub-assemblies:

With the Dragsta, leave the engine OFF before paining. It'll make it much easier :laugh.:

I even think one could actually have the sides/roof of the Boosta Blasta as one piece for sub-assemblies as well. I'll figure it out when I get my second Speed Freeks.

Also: Next Week: The Mega Buggy Paint-a-thon on the Community site has some pretty inspired paint jobs. The third one shown actually even has a

because it's by Pete the WarGamer :lol:

While I'm not going in on a Speed Freeks focused list, I'm pondering a handful of buggies as a fast-strike/gap filler unit.  I feel that the best way to "splash" buggies is picking the ones that are most focused to what a list needs.  In that respect, the Rukkatrukk and Boost-Blasta are sadly lacking in focus, being more of "jack of all trades" setups.  Conversely, the Dragsta is a "heavy" hunter nearly unique in the Ork 'dex (thanks to its accuracy) while the Snazzwagon is a pure ROF horde clearer.  In this respect, I feel that these latter 2 are the most "compact" and efficient designs.

As for the Scrapjet, I'm still on the fence.  It's the cheapest and offers decent dakka for its cost, but it seems to be largely melee-focused and I'm not sure this is to its benefit.  I'll need to think more on that one before I make a decision, but it's not a write-off as of yet.

Agreed on Scrapjet, it's 2d3 + more afaik and has 4 heavy shooters.

Ironically has more dakka than the Snazzwagon, bigger bite and very solid anti tank.

If I was a spammy chap (I'm not) I'd be taking Scrapjet squadrons. Would do dragsta squadrons but they're a tad more difficult to acquire currently!

Since I'm looking into running a brigade, the scrapjet may find itself in triplicate in my lists. It looks like a good support vehicle, cheap enough to run multiples and not anything critical that I would be afraid of losing.

The two buggies from Speed Freaks are cool, but I'm not buying multiples of that set, so I doubt I'll be running them. The squig buggy is just too many points. I may still consider the Snazzwagon, but for now, I'm thinking I'll be a scrapjet man.

I really like these cards from the game (has anyone actually tried the game yet??)...

med_gallery_63428_13471_253721.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_13471_755102.jpeg

...and was thinking that I’d love to model some of them sometime...

So I did:

med_gallery_63428_13471_250286.jpeg

Either he drew that card and the wheel just fell off (shortly after the door I removed) or he thinks he’s awaited in ValOrka (the grot next to him is opening the tank of NOX squig oil juice) and is about to do a mike-drop with the steering wheel...

Since I'm looking into running a brigade, the scrapjet may find itself in triplicate in my lists. It looks like a good support vehicle, cheap enough to run multiples and not anything critical that I would be afraid of losing.

The two buggies from Speed Freaks are cool, but I'm not buying multiples of that set, so I doubt I'll be running them. The squig buggy is just too many points. I may still consider the Snazzwagon, but for now, I'm thinking I'll be a scrapjet man.

I am looking at running 3x scrapjets and 2-3x snazzwagons. With a lot of warbikes and a wartrike warlord. Get some other stuff from there. Probably fill out a battallion with gretchin haha. 

Archived