New Ork Vehicles - What do you think?

antique_nova

I like all of them in their own way my favourites being:

- Megatrakk Scrapjet: My number one looks-wise. I just love the plane on wheels look it's just so cool. Then I saw the rules and well, now I like it more. 2D3+1 rokkit shots, 12 big shoota shots and to top it off the drill is rock solid too! Paired with the spiked ram rule it can do a number on heavier targets on the charge. It's just a perfect combination of rule-of-cool and effectiveness on the table.

- Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy: Fun on wheels. Apparently it's a bit pricey points-wise, but everything about this model just screams FUN. Lobbing squigs around the table whilst doing donuts in an Ork pickup truck (or as us Aussies say, a ute). It's just too much fun too pass up.

I will probably be getting 2 Scrapjets and 1 Squigbuggy. I'd love at least one of each but that will get very expensive so I'd rather narrow it down to the ones I'd be most keen to field on the table.

I really wonder why they made the Wartrike S5, compounded by the fact that the snagga klaw is only S +2, not x2. The ranged attack it has is only a 8" bolter shot too, after all. The Cutta is a potentially nice weapon, but overall it's less than I originally hoped for as far as the unit itself. The main reason I ended up getting it after all was for the bike charges after advancing, though. I'd just need more of the bikes, as I've mentioned before.

Also in term of vehicles, while not a new model it's the new unit entry - Bonebreaka. That seems like a lot of fun. Maybe not quite as fun as the old deffrolla charges in the 2008 Codex (once saw one plow through three units in a row) but potentially quite effective nonetheless. I just with I had bought the Kult of Speed battleforce when it was still available, now with the cheaper and more versatile Battlewagon variants as well as other things it would've made more sense. I'm planning on testing the Bonebreaka variant in my first match, put my three meganobz and six regular nobs inside it and ram the heck out of everything once they're out (unless the opponent shoots it to pieces first, ha!).

I think the snagga klaw strength is the way it is due to it not being a full sized power klaw. Also note the wartrike has 1 more attack over a regular Warboss. I'm glad it is the way it is however because I have a really cool Warboss on warbike conversion that I spent a hell of a lot of time on and I was worried it would be redundant with the release of this model, but they seem to perform different albeit similar roles. The Index Xenos FAQ changed the biker Warboss's WAAAGH to affect infantry AND bikes so he is quite versatile in a mixed mech/infantry force.

Yea the Bonebreaka looks freakin' awesome. My biggest gripe with Orks in 7th and 8th was the fall of the deffrolla. Now it has some serious damage potential and can be dropped in with Tellyporta and then combined with Ramming Speed for an almost guaranteed charge + extra mortal wounds. Probably one of my favourite things in the codex!

Well, it's certainly larger than nob power klaw, however it doesn't seem to be "powered", since it's pretty much just some blades attached to a handle. So in that sense, yeah, but they could've just given him an actual power klaw instead. Or even a few different weapon options to allow customization! He'd look pretty mean brandishing a propa orky big choppa, too.

Of course there's a way to make his attacks S8 - which is naturally nice against tougher targets as well as wounding T4 on a 2+ - but having to use that for a warlord trait is unfortunate. Or a weirdboy power, but he's likely to outpace any weirdboyz trying to keep up with him - and I don't even have a weirdboy yet, really need one. Since they have a nob statline I'm contemplating trying to convert one from a nob because ordering from GW direct sucks.

I think the snagga klaw strength is the way it is due to it not being a full sized power klaw. Also note the wartrike has 1 more attack over a regular Warboss. I'm glad it is the way it is however because I have a really cool Warboss on warbike conversion that I spent a hell of a lot of time on and I was worried it would be redundant with the release of this model, but they seem to perform different albeit similar roles. The Index Xenos FAQ changed the biker Warboss's WAAAGH to affect infantry AND bikes so he is quite versatile in a mixed mech/infantry force.

Yea the Bonebreaka looks freakin' awesome. My biggest gripe with Orks in 7th and 8th was the fall of the deffrolla. Now it has some serious damage potential and can be dropped in with Tellyporta and then combined with Ramming Speed for an almost guaranteed charge + extra mortal wounds. Probably one of my favourite things in the codex!

So with my hands now on the Codex I believe I see why they did what they did with Trike bosses klaw. They still let you put on the relic klaw onto him in BS, not sure that is a mistake... but anyway. When you charge there seems to be a strat to do d3 mortal wounds. Then in your movement you can fallback, do a strat specificly for him to do another d3 mortal wounds on your way out, then charge again because of his aura. Rinse, repeat. 

That is.... pretty sick. That isn't even including his attacks that can be buffed with traits and other stuff. Give him the redderarmor and it's another D3 mortal wounds in your movement phase as well haha. 

It's a mistake in BS. Anyway, yes, you can do those extra stratagem things, but that's always extra CP spent. And the fallback thing only really works if you're Evil Sunz or Blood Axes. The Redder Armour isn't really applicable to the Wartrike since it's a vehicle in itself, not a character in a transport, in terms of rules. So it wouldn't do anything. In general that relic isn't that great for causing mortal wounds since the only time you'd be within 1" of an enemy in your own movement phase is in an ongoing combat, so either when an enemy charged you or has been locked in ever since you charged in. What's worse, the character needs to be in a transport for that, which is not great for combat. a Bonebreaka might pull it off, but even then you'd be using a character as a passenger just to occasionally cause 1d3 mortal wounds. Not efficient.

It's a mistake in BS. Anyway, yes, you can do those extra stratagem things, but that's always extra CP spent. And the fallback thing only really works if you're Evil Sunz or Blood Axes. The Redder Armour isn't really applicable to the Wartrike since it's a vehicle in itself, not a character in a transport, in terms of rules. So it wouldn't do anything. In general that relic isn't that great for causing mortal wounds since the only time you'd be within 1" of an enemy in your own movement phase is in an ongoing combat, so either when an enemy charged you or has been locked in ever since you charged in. What's worse, the character needs to be in a transport for that, which is not great for combat. a Bonebreaka might pull it off, but even then you'd be using a character as a passenger just to occasionally cause 1d3 mortal wounds. Not efficient.

That's fair. I plan on playing Evil Sunz so I guess I got excited about it. Those CPs are the ones I plan on using/spending my CP on as I won't have mobs of boyz and the like. On that note... can you use the strategem on a scrappjet to do 2d3 mortal wounds to what you're charging? 

In my head it's those strategems in conjunction with the scrappjetz or the kustom blasta models all charging and doing d3 mortal wounds with the trike. I kind of wish his gun would have been a pistol so he could use it in combat. 

I'll mostly play Evil Sunz as well. Won't have much CP for spamming stratagems though. Certainly it's worth doing the fallback thing to ensure getting to hit first again, if you were stuck in combat. Although depending on the target might be wise not to do it with all units in the combat, to prevent another hail of overwatch (I have a tendency to lose a lot of models to overwatch regardless of the army I'm playing or facing).

I'll mostly play Evil Sunz as well. Won't have much CP for spamming stratagems though. Certainly it's worth doing the fallback thing to ensure getting to hit first again, if you were stuck in combat. Although depending on the target might be wise not to do it with all units in the combat, to prevent another hail of overwatch (I have a tendency to lose a lot of models to overwatch regardless of the army I'm playing or facing).

I am debating using a list where I use grots as CP batteries and easily hidden objective holders. Two battallions, using index HQs and the deffkilla and then just grab some grots and fill out the rest with vehicles/bikes/etc. This is all hypothetical for me though as I am a new Ork Warboss! Haha. 

Something I just noticed, the Gunwagon comes with an 'Ard Case automatically which is a bit dissapointing since you can't use it as a shooting platform for something like Tankbustas or Flash Gitz or Burnas. It's a shame because a double shooting Killkannon isn't all that impressive with 5+ BS and 24" range. Especially when the points is on par with a Leman Russ which is vastly superior. 

I don't see the Gunwagon seeing much play because it's role conflict with each other. It wants to move slowly to double shoot, but then it's not performing its role as a transport properly. It really needed open-topped to be usable.

Basically if you want the Gunwagon to be used as a shooty transport, there is no reason to take it over a regular Battlewagon.

Am i wrong feeling like the new vehicles are three shades of useless due to costing 50% more points than they should? Am i missing something here? Compare to similar stat lines for razorbacks, ravegers, taurox ect. What gives?

I don't know about 50%, but each is about 20 points more than I would have hoped, and the Squigbuggy is closer to 40. Hard to say if Chapter Approved will bring them down, given the short time between the two releases, but one can hope. I do still think you can find uses for most of them (not the squigbuggy), but it's mostly niche and I think you'd be handicapping yourself if you took more than a few. Depending on your list, a few of the cheaper ones for the fast attack slots in a Brigade might make more sense then cheap Deffkoptas.

The Wartrike is also overpriced, but I expect it will still see the most use of the new vehicles by the nature of being a fast melee character without needing to get a FW model or convert up an index Warboss on bike. It's fairly solid on its own, as even with only S5 base, getting re-rolls to wound on top of the +2 strength as well as 6 attacks means it is still a hard hitter. I think it pays too much for its guns, which is a problem Orks often seem to have, but nonetheless, it's not bad.

As for the other "new" vehicles, the Gunwagon and Bonebreaker, I think the melee one will see some use, but without a decent gun worth firing twice, the Gunwagon will be left off the table. It simply isn't worth the points, and the loss of open-topped just makes the cost way too high, as you won't even be putting things in it. At least the Bonebreaker has some synergy with the Ramming Speed strategem, the boarding action one, and the ability to deliver a bunch of WS2+, Str 9, Ap-2, 2 damage attacks. It probably won't be super competitive, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent-sized GT won by an Ork player with one tellyporta-ing in.

Archived