Thousand Sons Castallax with Brethren of Iron?

Mogsam

Good evening all. I've got a 5000 point Thousand Sons legion force at the moment and I'm looking to make some smaller forces to give it a bit more diversity rather than loads of psychers. I've got a bit of a fancy to make a 2k Sons Brethren of Iron list, but have a question regarding the Castallax classes and the Brethren of Iron RoW.

Rather than taking the regular Castallax, can I take the Achea class Castallax instead as the troops option? They both can come with similiar potential load outs, but the 2k version has significant advantages (and drawbacks) over the bog standard class and is definitely more fluffy.

I can't see any references to support this, but wondered if it had come up before? I couldn't see any references to it.

'Castellax Battle-Automata maniples may be taken as non-compulsory Troop choices, ... '

So, it's all about the above mentioned unit, and the RoW does not mention Achea (which are a totally different unit) in the slightest.

Technically, rules as written, it's Castellax Battle-Automata maniples only.

Personally, I wouldn't care. Brethren of Iron is perhaps the most useless RoW of them all, and it makes me wonder why you'd consider it, having access to Achea without all the fuss.

Personally, I wouldn't care. Brethren of Iron is perhaps the most useless RoW of them all, and it makes me wonder why you'd consider it, having access to Achea without all the fuss.

This.

While a half decent rite of war if you love robots and your legion and want to play Astartes Cybernetica, as soon as you get to Thousand Sons and the Achea, no point.

You can keep a freer army build and more choice of HQs but just playing any other rite, as Achea only need a psyker nearby and not a Cortex-controller etc

Primarily it isn't the Castallax I wanted from that RoW. It's the rule of cool Domitar that I bought on whim when I first started and have never manage to get to use!

Brethren of Iron is the only way I can see to get one for fun. I accept that the RoW is hardly the most effective one, particularly with Acheas available normally, but it'd be nice to be able to field a Domitar and use Acheas as the troops choice that comes in the RoW. Similarly, it doesn't make a great deal of sense that a Pravean in a 2k Sons army has to take regular Castallax when he doesn't need a cortex.

But fair does, was clearly no precedent, but thought it was worth an ask encase there was something I hadn't found. 

• 2 months later...

Archived