Cool mix 'n match of parts. I've not seen many attempts to represent Tau-allied humans in model form and these do a good job of getting the concept across. I agree with the good Chaplain, I feel like the accent should be all red or all green rather than both.

Fish 'eads aren't really my thing, but I really like the color scheme. The red is really vibrant.

By the way, the Skitarii look great man. Sorry I didn't comment earlier, I usually meant to on people's posts and then just get caught up with life.

Well done. Are the Tau helmets worn by scouts (who can really use their enhanced sensors to watch for the enemy), or by officers (who can really do the same, in addition to using their enhanced communications system to better give orders and ensure these orders are obeyed)?

You've got some interesting kitbashes/conversions in amongst that bunch of Gue'vesa. The chainsword on the Fire Warrior/Breacher made me laugh!

Not so sure about the red-white-green combo though. Looks like they'll be delivering pizzas in no time. :laugh.: More seriously, any particular reason you went with those colours?

Cool mix 'n match of parts. I've not seen many attempts to represent Tau-allied humans in model form and these do a good job of getting the concept across. I agree with the good Chaplain, I feel like the accent should be all red or all green rather than both.

Thanks. I thought about the pizza delivery comment for a couple hours ... until somebody in a Facebook group commented on that same picture with "Mamma Mia" or something like that. Only then did I click. I now can't un-see it any more.

Yeah, what was I thinking? - I was thinking a split-complimentary scheme on a pink base, and I used a colour wheel app to develop it. After a couple days I came up with 'Gue'vesa 4' and liked it, and which I then modified slightly as I began painting up a few test models. In the end, what I settled on is 'Gue'vesa 5'.

gallery_80057_10843_3451.jpg

I really appreciate your feedback though. Looking back on what I set out to in the beginning, I now realise my turquoise turned out darker and perhaps more green than I really wanted ... I also realise that what looks turqoise on my phone screen is much greener on my laptop screen. Damn me. I think I should go back and paint the, um, green a lighter and slightly more blue tone? - Because I think only red would be a bit simple on the pink bases? Thoughts?

Well done. Are the Tau helmets worn by scouts (who can really use their enhanced sensors to watch for the enemy), or by officers (who can really do the same, in addition to using their enhanced communications system to better give orders and ensure these orders are obeyed)?

Yeah, I figured an actual T'au helmet signifies some sort of higher rank, white with a red stripe for humans and red with a white stripe for an T'au. Only those few have that antenna to access those higher-level communication systems, exactly.

Currently thinking about how to paint the squad leader - a red Guard helmet won't look good, I know that much, so it'll be white. I'm tempted to paint the fatigues in the second colour, green or blue or whatever it is, to make him stand out more? Thoughts?

Edited by Brother Kortmer

I think the green looks turquoise-y enough, it's the bright red that could do with some toning down, I think. That said, I don't think it's too much of an issue. The bright red helps them stand out on the table and unless it really bothers you, I'd just stick with the current colours. You've done a lot of work so far, it'd be a shame to have to go back and re-do everything.

Agreed, it's the red that catches your eye and would help them jump out on the table immediately. IF you were to change it at all, I'd make it a bit more orange. Orange also compliments turquoise so you'd have that going for you too. Edited by DuskRaider

• 2 weeks later...

I think the green looks turquoise-y enough, it's the bright red that could do with some toning down, I think. That said, I don't think it's too much of an issue. The bright red helps them stand out on the table and unless it really bothers you, I'd just stick with the current colours. You've done a lot of work so far, it'd be a shame to have to go back and re-do everything.

Agreed, it's the red that catches your eye and would help them jump out on the table immediately. IF you were to change it at all, I'd make it a bit more orange. Orange also compliments turquoise so you'd have that going for you too.

Alright, I'll leave it then. I'm wondering if it's perhaps a bit less bright IRL. Must try to take a couple pictures with daylight (as opposed to LED lighting). Good thing is, I can always easily tone it down. - I've decided to leave the turquoise-y colour as it is also, if only for the moment. My priority is to finish them off now. I'm getting a bit tired of them, and I have a lot of Oldhammer in the pipeline.

Therefore: Last four men done.

gallery_80057_10843_39296.jpg

Now the objective markers and I can call it a day.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished painting the Gue'vesa. Including objective markers. It is done. Missing are decals and, potentially, weathering, although I'm not sure how far to go with them. To be honest, I'm tired of them and just want to get them done. No final pictures, but I'll post some as soon as they're at 100%.

In the meantime I've painted my Space Crusade commander for a local friendly competition. Turned out I had sprayed shoulder pads and knee caps white already, hence the logical decision was an Ultramarine-ish paint scheme. I'm awaiting a set of UM chapter symbol decals in the mail. Again, that's all that's missing to call him done.

gallery_80057_10843_117194.jpg

One the side I've done up a number of old metal models for my growing Oldhammer collection. I've got four 25 mm-bases of Nurglings - and approx. 30 models are in the mail, taking me to a total of (I think) 14 bases of Nurglings. I realise these aren't the canonical base sizes, but I couldn't care less. My gaming group is hyper-casual and nobody gives a :censored: as long as fun is had. - Moreover, there's an old Epic GUO, counts-as a sorcerer's familiar or something; a Beast of Nurgle; a couple marines including one flamer and one missile launcher; and 10 old Necromunda Goliaths, which shall count-as cultists.

gallery_80057_10843_863760.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_718656.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_709215.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1592465.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_228750.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_273549.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1218092.jpg

I'll probably paint the lone Chaos Lord in Black Legion colours. I have an old metal Abaddon somewhere and I don't see him leading my legacy Death Guard army without a personal retinue, however small. I guess I'll ... Yeah. This project has clearly grown beyond just buying a couple collector's pieces on eBay. LOL.

Painting is expected to progress at glacial speed. Real life is taking a toll on my hobby time and energy levels. But I'm planning to update this thread as soon as I've got something to share.

Yes! It's so nice to see these old Nurglings again. I've got a Tupperware container somewhere filled with these and the 3rd Edition ones, so much better than the new design.

I do think the Chaos Lord model has aged rather well, all things considered. Oh man, I can't wait to see all of this painted up!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! It's so nice to see these old Nurglings again. I've got a Tupperware container somewhere filled with these and the 3rd Edition ones, so much better than the new design.

I do think the Chaos Lord model has aged rather well, all things considered. Oh man, I can't wait to see all of this painted up!

Same here. Can't wait to see them all painted up. It'll be a while though - in the meantime my hobby desk has been hit with more Nurglings. In fact, many, many more Nurglings. Apparently I bought enough to throw together a total of 27 bases. Including the Epic-scale GUO as some sort of Nurgling commander or squad leader, that makes 28, i.e. four squads of 7 or two big ones of 14 (2

Ohhh, man, seeing that Space Crusade Marine certainly plugged at my heartstrings, even moreso because I have been engaged in a similarly retro-themed project of late ;)

Really looking forward to seeing this vintage-inspired project taking place! Plus I am actually rather envious of you for having that old chaos champion (the one you use as a herald) in your collection...

Ohhh, man, seeing that Space Crusade Marine certainly plugged at my heartstrings, even moreso because I have been engaged in a similarly retro-themed project of late :wink:

Really looking forward to seeing this vintage-inspired project taking place! Plus I am actually rather envious of you for having that old chaos champion (the one you use as a herald) in your collection...

Thanks, KrautScientist. 

Honestly, mate, it's taken me a long time to track down that herald for a reasonable price. There's a dedicated Oldhammer trading group on Facebook - people are very good, very reliable and genuine, and you can get fantastic deals (especially if you don't live in the middle of nowhere, like I do) if you're fast. PM me if you're interested in a link ... - Although I believe I recall you don't do Faebook? In that case, PM me regardless if there's anything you want me to look out for on your behalf.

Good idea using the old Epic Great Unclean One. It definitely looks the part. I actually liked the old Plaguebearer Command Squad for some reason... I did find it odd that they were released around the same time as the plastic Plaguebearers, though... Nice use of the Nurgle Sorcerer as well.

Great to see some older minis, especially Space Crusade ones, on the board. I've got some to paint up as Word Bearers. The chaos lord with power fist and combi-melta is one of my favourite minis, looking forward to seeing him painted.

@DuskRaider: Oh, wow, I never realised that. They're awful, awful sculpts - I think. Poorly detailed, not very inspired. I just like them because ... I like them all. Not as much as the newer plastics, but these aren't relevant here. I'm now wondering though if the command squad deserves their place in my Oldhammer project?

@AlexCrute: Thanks, man. I appreciate that. I'm sure you'll find more well painted copies with some more research. I certainly did before I painted mine. :)

@Achinadav: Yeah, I've seen you Word Bearers and I love them very much. It'd be great to see what you make of the Space Crusade lot. You got the dreadnought as well?

In the meantime I did some fooling around with one of my damaged RT-era renegades, if only to catch a breath in between more commital projects and to develop first ideas how to go about colour schemes for the oldest few of my Oldhammer models. I want them to blend in with what I got already but, at the same time, use brighter and a wider range of colours - to do the painting styles of old some justice. I'm unsure if I like what I've got so far. Here it is:

gallery_80057_10843_625397.jpg

In the meantime I've picked up a commission for a charitable community project. Couple people are donating and working up a Deathwatch army to support a mate through sickness. I'll be painting up a Blood Angle captain of some sort. Had him in the mail the other day. I'll be drilling his gun barrels now and will then wait for specific instructions how to go about the black. - Any ideas how to paint up the details, colour schemes or palettes etc. ... I'd be keen to know.

gallery_80057_10843_416015.jpg

Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with my airbrush setup, specifically with spraying indoors. Likely I'll get a spray booth of some sort, but I'm working on a tight hobby budget and have a couple other issues to address before I can get serious with it. As it stands, therefore, no progress on the Oldhammer batch.

In fact, less so: in the meantime I managed to fall over my Epidemius (which was placed on the floor - stupid me) and ruin the model beyond repair. Luckily I manage to source another one. Essentially NIB, has never seen paint. Even came with two spare, um ... What are they? Nurglings? Other lesser daemons? - I've no idea where on the model they go. The one that looks like a slug has a groove as if it fits on the two pointy horns of the palanquin, but I've scoured half the internet for pictures or instructions and came up with nothing. Anyone know if there's a canonical placement for the two Nurglings on the Epidemius model?

gallery_80057_14767_555742.jpg

To distract me while not painting Chaos, I've started modelling for my Newhammer Death Guard Kill Team. I'm aiming at a Carnival of Chaos theme. Two poxwalkers, one dressed up as a commissar and one as a Mechanicus priest of some sorts, are coming along well. I'm feeling Ok about the commissar - I like him a lot so far. I'm not too sure about the tech priest though and I can't put my finger on it.

gallery_80057_14767_134679.jpg

Any comments or constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Alright, let me see... I think there may be a good replacement for the slug Nurgling in the Lord Felthius box. I could be wrong, but I think that's the only slug Nurgling in the new design. The other one I'm unsure, how's it posed? I haven't had the official Epidemius model in ages so I cannot reference my own.

The Commissar looks good so far. Awesome use of bits! As far as the Tech Priest... I don't know, it may be the right arm replacement's odd positioning since it's multi-jointed, especially since the left arm also ends in something other than a hand. I'd suggest perhaps adding a normal hand on the left and maybe completely severing the right arm and adding a full bionic piece. Mechadendrites might be a nice touch, but have them dragging behind him to show little to no brain activity.