How do you add texture to your bases?

Hello. I've recently started working on my first Imperial Knight model and I have been working on the base. I texture small patches of my base using GW texture paints but for the bulk of my base texturing I prefer to use sand over an existing texture simply because that is how all my previous models have been based. The GW texture range are nice but I use them sparingly since they are not exactly cheap. 

What products do you use to add texture to your bases? Have you found anything much cheaper than the GW texture range? I'm curious to see what other people use to cover large bases, movement trays and boards and so on.

Hello. I've recently started working on my first Imperial Knight model and I have been working on the base. I texture small patches of my base using GW texture paints but for the bulk of my base texturing I prefer to use sand over an existing texture simply because that is how all my previous models have been based. The GW texture range are nice but I use them sparingly since they are not exactly cheap. 

What products do you use to add texture to your bases? Have you found anything much cheaper than the GW texture range? I'm curious to see what other people use to cover large bases, movement trays and boards and so on.

I have a box of gravel and sand and metal shavings. I cover the base in glue, then add other details (Like broken guns, another detritus)... then once its finished drying I hit up the parts that havent got stuff stuck to it with the Texture paint to ensure transitions.  

Whenever I need anything that works like a filler and has some fine texture (more like muck) I use Liquitex ceramic stucco. Smear it thinly on a surface and it makes surfaces feel like asphalt or concrete, it can be built up and wetted to act like sand, and if you want it to be a proper urban ruins base, sprinkle it with actual sand and bits of broken cork and as it's a decent non-leveling adhesive. Love the stuff, honestly. It's not dramatic like a lot of the texture paints but it's a nice transitional binder. That, and it's the only thing I can think of that might scale for AT.

Hawk Base for reference.

gallery_107230_14721_127361.jpg

I had the same kind of issue; all of my bases were done with 'sand' (read: a sand-like substance) and stones but I wanted to add some extra visual interest. After a bit of experimenting, I found that adding some random patches of Agrellan Earth does a nice job without too much effort. You need to put it on thick to get a good crackle effect, so be sure to blend the edges into the sand a bit and it'll look very natural.

t8OJL4F.png

I experimented with several 'crackle' products but the stuff GW makes, while expensive, creates a crackle effect that suits the scale better than anything else I could find. As an added bonus, applied over a sand base like this the Agrellan Earth doesn't flake off the base like it's prone to do if it's applied directly to the base. Used like this, the bottles can go much further than if you were doing the entire base. Note: Agrellan Badlands is a much more gritty and requires an even thicker application to get the desired crackle effect; I'll find a use for it as some point, but I don't like it as much as the Agrellan Badlands.

I use a combination of Vallejo Dark Earth Gel ( as well as their other 'dirt' gels ) as well as some of their Mica gel, over torn up cork from Ikea trivets and some crackle paste ( which I'm forgetting the brand of at the moment since I'm not at home to check ).

Unpainted to see the details of the materials :

aZDFrpG.jpg

Painted after to blend it all :

4ZR5ub5.jpg

I'll edit later and add the brand of the crackle I used ( pretty sure its one I grabbed at the art store )

These days I tend to use the GW bases, particularly the Shattered Dominion range.The large basing kit is a real boost

If I do texture a plane base, I tend to use PVA and sand for the base layer and apply smallee stones or cat litter on top

Fine wall filling putty and a sponge. I've done this with my most recent units, but they aren't finished and the pics in my plog don't show it up well. But you get the idea here, and there's a link on that page to the ideas behind it. It's geared towards set design scale models, but lots of good theory in there.

There's a few interesting ideas here. Currently I think my current method is closest to Subtle Discord's technique. Here's a picture showing the patches of drybrushed Agrellan Earth and Badlands in between the areas that are sand glued on top of textured paste.

Ranger Squad advancing

DSC 0251

The stuff I am currently using sticks to my tools as readily as the base. I found a picture online that is quite similar to the effect I've got. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/7e/d7/f37ed76d5bf7d4983e93b7f4a6e36fb8.jpg

I'd like to find something easier to work with preferably.

I like that every post seems to have a very different approach to model basing. Thanks to all that have replied so far.

I tied a few different 'crackle' paint products and I can say that GWs produces the best results with the least fuss in my experience; just paint it on thick, blend out the edges, and let it dry for a long time. You got some really nice results regardless, so please don't think that I'm criticizing. I prefer Vallejo paints but many of GWs technical and specialty products are actually worth the investment for how well they work.

saw a tutorial for using baking powder and super glue, you do it a little at a time but the results were pretty good and its more inscale for the minis as its not like giant gravel.

Was that the Tabletop Minions channel? I found that technique really useful when I wanted to paint a desert base for my Archaon model. I also found mixing cajun spice into it makes for a very earthy effect. If I had a Sylvaneth or otherwise jungle themed army that's probably how I would go.

DSC 0100

The model isn't relevent to the forum, but I am talking specifically about the base. The model was a gift I've since passed on so I'll try texturing an empty 40mm base and see if I can repeat the effect. If it's a problem I'll remove the image when I add the new pic.

I use mainly Sand and also started using a mixture of the baking soda technique. I also use wood filler to add some threedimensionality to the base.

I foudn that bird sand is giving me a very nice fine texture which goes well with the scale of 40k and can easily be painted like soil.

Depending on which kind of envionemt you want to acieve, you can mix with different kinds of sand, and also just throw in some soil and tiny root pieces.

For cracked earth I have heard that PVA glue and eggshells seem to work fine too.

Cork for everything, any day. And actual dirt and sand, sieved, with lots of watered-down PVA glue. Add skulls or spare bits as required.

gallery_80057_14767_1238287.jpg

For larger areas and display boards, I've had some success with very cheap acrylic texture from an arts supply shop. Literally a more or less fine grit, suspended in acrylic medium (I think), to be mixed with acrylic paints. I specifically used Reeves Coarse Texture Gel. Cheap as chips, and a tube will last you a lifetime if you're not building a table:

1386845080download%20(10).jpg

gallery_80057_10843_405613.jpg

That sort of texture gel looks just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I find sand is too flat without putting something underneath it first, and that should help out. Oh, and well done for smuggling that ancient Death Guard model into your new squad. He's looking good for his age. :smile.:

Personally, I stay away from large pieces of cork because it sometimes looks too obviously cork and sticks out (the uniform thickness is a giveaway). You've broken it up and made it look a bit more varied in your basing though, so I'll have to bear that in mind.

Edit: I couldn't get the brand you recommended easily in the UK and instead found a pre-coloured black texture paste on Amazon.

I have also checked out the Liquitex site and they have a really nice range of products but I would need to experiment to find one that suited my current base style. The resin sand and black lava seem interesting to me but I'm still not sure if they would be what I'm looking for even after watching the videos. I advise taking a look just for curiosity.

If you can get to an art store that stocks them, there's usually a sample board and/or swatches on the shelf that has a big blob that's smeared (so you can see it applied thick down to thin) so you can get a better idea of how it's going to be to work with. If you can't go out of your way now, just consider it for the future when you happen to pass one.

... Oh, and well done for smuggling that ancient Death Guard model into your new squad. He's looking good for his age. :smile.:

Edit: I couldn't get the brand you recommended easily in the UK and instead found a pre-coloured black texture paste on Amazon.

They're all from third edition. But, yes, looking good for their age.

I didn't so much mean to recommend this particular brand, more give you an idea what you could be using. I'm sure different products will achieve very similar effects. Let us know how you get on. 

Did this the other night with pva glue spread over the bases and left to dry overnight then added Agrellan Earth texture all over and also left to dry all night. Lokks great if you want big cracks on your bases.

AOM2XgFl.jpg?1

I had a series of bases based on a lush grasslands/forested area and found a cool technique from a scale modeler on a forum. Use toilet paper. Yes... but preferably clean toilet paper.

Pull the sheets apart so you have a single ply, rip up into small pieces and brush on with watered down PVA glue. This helps to make cork not look like cork and give you an opportunity to make really organic looking ground/dirt/mud.

Here's a tutorial I did on my bases that use this effect: https://imgur.com/a/bBvDn

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got my backside in gear and photographed the results of my experimenting.

DSC 0323

DSC 0324

DSC 0331

The textured paste I used was easy to apply with dark sand but a light coloured medium that dried clear but with a glossy sheen. It could look okay as-is for volcanic terrain perhaps? The third picture shows that the product paints over no problem. The third picture also shows the Cajun spice mixture I believe I mentioned in an earlier post. I just put a chunk of plastic and some twigs on the base, the rest is just spice. I'm happy with the texture it creates, let me know what you think.

I use white glue + fine sand + small stones for my AM, adding in a spare bit here and there. I'm contemplating using grass tufts, but haven't decided yet on whether that would fit the background of my army or not. Bird sand/aquarium sand can be had for cheap at most pet stores or DIY stores.

My space marines have been painted back in the day when I was younger, so they just got goblin green bases along with the lack of "thin your paints" back in the day.

Nowadays, I'd probably base them differently. I'll eventually strip them and give them a better paint job - then they'll get some proper basing too.

I went to a dedicated art supply store some time ago and found out there are various structure gels/pastes to be mixed with paints to achieve different structures. Also crackleé medium for the 'dried dessert floor cracking from heat' look. Such additives exist for different paints, e.g. oils, acrylics. Got no experience with the stuff though and didn't think about basing when I went shopping, otherwise I'd have picked some up. Well at least now I know what to look for when I visit that place again.

I've seen some great tutorials for making various floor textures out of modelling putty, e.g. putting on a layer and then carving the gaps between the stones with a toothpick to get various variants of stone flooring. Looked for them but couldn't find them again. Could have sworn they've been on here or over on dakka.

Also have to mention the time tested "carving ridges into balsa wood" for modelling wood boards - which was used extensively in the terrain building compendium GW put out back in the day. Can be used for wooden surfaces like doors and all kind of stuff. I heard some people having good results with sheet styrene, but I've yet to try that.

With left over sprue, styrene profiles and styrene sheet, all kinds of ruins/scrap and technical surfaces can be modelled. Possibilities are endless.

Archived