Any place for multiversal concepts in the WH40K setting?

b1soul

@sfPanzer

They're more like honeymooners

Not much better if at all. Who visits a permanent warzone of the worst imaginable magnitude for their honeymoon? :biggrin.:

Unless of course their dimension is even worse off. Then I'd just feel sorry for them. :biggrin.:

Dark Eldar? :D

Well we do know that the Warp is connected to other universes from which Chaos attacks and that there are even entire unirverses within the Warp, constructed by whatever has the power to dream them into existence and maintain control over them. Although not in the typical fictional sense, 40k certainly qualifies as multi-universal in that respect. A character could hypothetically get launched from one universe to another by Daemons. 

Also we know from the Necron codex that there are numerous other dimensions which the Necrons used to use for FTL... which are now corrupted by Chaos and no longer safe for use.

I don't like the idea of multiverse 40k, because it already contains a sort of multiverse in the form of the Warp.

In the warp all possibilities are true at the same time, and it creates a nice symmetry if the materium is it's opposite, with only one truth.

Or, think of it like this. In the materium, all possible futures branch out forwards in time, but if you look back, there is only a straight path, as the other branches are no longer possible as soon as you progress along one.

Branches when going forward, a trunk when you look back.

But causality is objective, there is only a single truth. The Eye of Terror exists for all entities in the materium (even if they might be unaware of it). No matter where you are, when you look back the trunk is the same (on the large scale i.e. objective total history).

Then the warp would be the opposite. No matter what reality you come from, it will always coincide with whatever other reality you meet. Two deamons can meet and for one, the Emperor slew Horus, while for the other Horus slew the Emperor, and both are true. All possibilities are true, and all coincide. Anyone looking back in time would see a different path for the universe, while everyone would walk on the same trunk when going forwards in time.

At least that's how I prefer to see the warp. The mirror image of causality, where all possible worlds are true at the same time.

The Warp can't really be any other way. If time is shifting from a Materium-centric view when going through Warp-travel, due to "time" in the Warp not necessarily corresponding to what it is in the Materium, then it stands to reason that time in the Warp is basically entirely detached.

The way I more interpret it is that the Great Game is almost literally like a board-game to the Chaos Powers. Events may change their standing, but only as they can interact with the Materium at that particular moment in "time". Slaanesh existed before Her birth, as there is no time within the Warp, but was unable to "play the game" until the time of Her birth. Her arrival destroyed the Eldar Pantheon, stopping them being able to play further, but go back a few millennia within the Materium, and they still exist. They've just lost their ability to roll the dice, as it were.

Think of it like infinityeth-dimension Monopoly, being played for keeps.

I've brainstormed a Golden Age where no heresy happened, the Emperor's plans all came to fruition and humanity is largely at peace, Astartes legions were split into chapter like organizations but all the primarchs and the emperor are alive and well, humanity makes use of the human made Webway, and all of human worlds are culturally, and scientifically uplifted to a median comparable to the Five Hundred Worlds of Ultramar.

The drafts I did centered around a young aspirant beginning his training and indoctrination to become a an Astartes, when there is an unexpected warp rift on his homeworld and he is thrown to the 40k universe and is-naturally horrified by how different and stark it is-i drew heavy inspiration from the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek Deep Space 9.

He is shocked and awed by the rampancy of Chaos, the dead, traitor and missing primarchs and that the Emperor is not only worshiped as a deity, but is also somehow undead.

If all of big E plans came to fruition then there couldn't be aa warprift tho since one of his plans included to separate the warp from the marterium while keeping the webway for long distance traveling. :P

@ Trevak Dal

That sounds like a very intriguing story

Regarding the warp rift issue...just have it be a localised anomaly (warp rifts are very, very rare in your Golden Age reality and perhaps this rift is caused by a massive event in the 40K reality...like the destruction of Cadia and the advent of the Great Rift)

There's definitely a whole playground of possibilities with small scale storytelling - short stories, your own background etc. what with Inquisitors and heretics getting involved in things they really shouldn't - it can make for a lot of fun. lots of comparisons and what ifs that can be explored, that 'through the looking glass' or 'black mirror' reversal - a lot of discussion on here has been about being able to see a 'brighter' universe, but what if on the other side things were even worse...

However, as said before I wouldn't really want it to bleed through in a big way to the main setting.

I've brainstormed a Golden Age where no heresy happened, the Emperor's plans all came to fruition and humanity is largely at peace, Astartes legions were split into chapter like organizations but all the primarchs and the emperor are alive and well, humanity makes use of the human made Webway, and all of human worlds are culturally, and scientifically uplifted to a median comparable to the Five Hundred Worlds of Ultramar.

The drafts I did centered around a young aspirant beginning his training and indoctrination to become a an Astartes, when there is an unexpected warp rift on his homeworld and he is thrown to the 40k universe and is-naturally horrified by how different and stark it is-i drew heavy inspiration from the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek Deep Space 9.

He is shocked and awed by the rampancy of Chaos, the dead, traitor and missing primarchs and that the Emperor is not only worshiped as a deity, but is also somehow undead.

I would like to read this if it is finished

Archived