Think Tank: Hypothesizing SW Unit Combo's, Options, Etc.

Karack Blackstone

It was basically horde meta before knight meta came to pass. Storm bolter WG and razors have been staples forever so I’m not too worried.

I don’t see too many people going out and buying a green tide though if they didn’t already have it. Orks really never went away, they’ve been scary this whole time if you had the right boyz around...

More than just orks are coming. Local IG in my area are considering alternatives post FAQ.

I ran into a max model brigade detachment of vostroyans in a narrative campaign and the guardsmen were never ending. Morale immunity from a relic meant i had to focus fire and kill it all. If i killed a unit in that fashion it came right back with "send in the next wave" anyways.

They covered the entire board like ants (move move move is insane).

Even if a knight soup army fired everything it had it couldn't erase guardsmen fast enough and the point tradeoff is always in IG favor

My armies can deal with knight stuff. I need more tools for hordes (orks and others)

That never went away either though, it was always good. Thats been the classic weakness of marine armies, masters of none. With knights and crazy cheap stuff the gap has never been wider.

Hordes will always be harder to deal with IMO because they can daisy chain and we cant take them off obj due to obsec numbers.

I think it is a result of the Castellan/BA/Loyal 32 soup no longer being the 100% no brainer option

People are looking at alternatives again and things that always worked but simply faded into the background are going to have the spotlight on them again

The IG player I talked to was simply getting rid of the Blood Angel detachment and going IG + Castellan

Fly being nerfed made the horde bodies effective at screening again

What do people think of a furry hoard? I mean for 800ish points you can put 90 wolves on the table and 6 cyberwolves to boot.throw in an HQ you were taking anyway and it's an outsider detachment at less than 1000 points which leaves lots of room for support and a fast moving hoard to screen. Plus if the get in combat with any of the guards out there these days they will mulch them lol.

What do people think of a furry hoard? I mean for 800ish points you can put 90 wolves on the table and 6 cyberwolves to boot.throw in an HQ you were taking anyway and it's an outsider detachment at less than 1000 points which leaves lots of room for support and a fast moving hoard to screen. Plus if the get in combat with any of the guards out there these days they will mulch them lol.

Have fun painting 90 wolves...

I'm... not sold on the concept of 90 wolves as a core force.

Simply put, you don't have the ranged weapon options to go at the foe with, to pressure and take away threat from an advancing unit, and above all, lack the option to present a wide range of threat profiles to present juicy yet risky targets.

If you had a core of 10 or 11 (+WGPL) GH packs, even without ranged special weapons such as the PG, MG, and FL, if you're footslogging which seems to be the new default for now, 11 strong GH packs with BG, GP, and Chainsword each, give the GHPL a Chainsword, and a stock WGPL to provide Ld +'s and additional attacks, well, then you can provide some table pressure if you decide to go with at least a Battalion, let alone a Brigade.

I think the option of a Brigade is just not viable for the Wolves at 2,000 points. The Battalion does almost the same and requires far fewer packs overall, thus allowing 1 or 2, or even 3 Battalion Detachments to meet one's minimum Troops options of 3, 6, or 9 Troops Choices both cheaply and reliably.

If one takes 2 Battalions, and needs a cost effective GH or BC pack setup, there's really only two primary ways to go:

- MSU, 5 or 6 BC's or GH's, WGPL to taste, if at all; Intercessors are "stuck" at 5, and need a seriously overcosted Repulsor to truly become mobile

- Max out the BC's, GH's or Intercessors, and take a WGPL when able if you like

While an 11 strong GH pack might not seem worthwhile, I will reiterate the wonderful option GH packs have for their WGPL: TDA. If you're going footslogging with your stock GH packs, keep them cheap, numerous to player taste, and above all, a TDA WGPL with a SS and melee weapon to your preference should never steer you wrong.

For the GH pack with the WGPL in TDA, do you tank shots on the WGPL or let the GHs around him die so you can lone wolf him? 

I think it depends honestly, if im running a normal type list and need to hold obj, im likely to tank. I have a double battalion list that Im running that doesnt tank though and is a lone wolf generator which is pretty fun too.

Id say in general though Im going to try to take a save if its an armor punching shot. Lone wolves arent guaranteed but if I can disuade people from shooting me do to invuls (storm shield WG) Im probably going to do it. I'd change it up too, if it becomes apparent Im really shooting for making lone wolves thats going to change what my opponent does more than likely.

If I can make them make weird choices thats always best.

Spray them Army Painter Fur Brown. Pick out eyes and claws. Wash with Aggrax Earthshade and then drybrush with something lighter like Balor brown and they are good to go.

The trick is the same with painting any horde. You need to find a technique that is quick and easy whilst looking OK on large units.

Spray them Army Painter Fur Brown. Pick out eyes and claws. Wash with Aggrax Earthshade and then drybrush with something lighter like Balor brown and they are good to go.

The trick is the same with painting any horde. You need to find a technique that is quick and easy whilst looking OK on large units.

Yes obviously, but its a bit different for a gimmick build.

This is by no means competitive but I'd like to try it out.

land raider excelsior (fully kitted), saga of the bear, armour of Russ

Rhino primaris

Wolf priest

Long fangs, 5x lascanon

Now this comes in just shy of 1000 points but does give you a 2+/4++/6+++ landraider with an unholy amount of weaponry and 5 lascanon long fangs. Both hit on 2's and for 1cp each per turn you reroll all failed wounds. You could also swap bear for beat slayer if you wanna trade a lil defense for a significant boost in offence.

Archived