Think Tank: Hypothesizing SW Unit Combo's, Options, Etc.

Karack Blackstone

My first take, pending adjustments for points, will be:

HQs:

3x Rune Priests (at least one will have a jump pack)

1x WGBL with jump pack, thunder hammer, storm shield

1x WL with jump pack, thunder hammer, storm shield

(someone will have Wulfen Stone)

Elites:

1x Ancient

Troops:

6x Grey Hunter Squads: plasma gun, plasma pistol, GHPL with power fist

Heavy Support:

3x Long Fangs (3x Lacannon, 2x Heavy Bolter)

Transports:

4x Rhinos with 2x Storm Bolters

Plenty of board control, and able to leverage our best units (LF, RP, and jump pack HQs). Rhinos push forward, pop smoke, Rune Priests call in the storm for -2 to hit them, LF blast away at Knights, Eldar, etc. Rune Priests will either all have jumped packs or one or two will while the other(s) rides in a Rhino. Tons of Grey Hunters pop out and get stuck in supported by RPs and the WGBL/WL.

Edit: this will be double battalion plus a Spearhead, so 14 Command Points.

Hellblasters or Aggressors?

Either way, if they do, wow, that will HURT!

I wouldn't count on it, but, with the Codex out Saturday that's one worth checking, as the HS Troops section having full access to LF Strategems, including Hellblasters, that's ... a truly terrifying possibility, if unlikely!

I think its way harder now, if its still only an 8 point difference still with the hit bonus it's not as clear cut for me. I still need to test it but for me the flat damage outweighs the +1A if theyre hitting more in general.

Great axe doesn't require a wolf priest if you already have a wolf lord in your list

hits on 2 with our SW bonus

frees up points and serves as a viable alternative to the TH

if you want to take an extreme example you can probably shave enough points by removing the WP and THs and simply add a dreadnought (wulfen or venerable) for the vehicle and knight killing prowess

I'm still going to give Drop Pods a try and continue to run a Blackmanes Army/list. I really want to try a Leviathan in a Pod as well as MM Long Fangs in a Pod all coming down together. Murderfang in a Pod could be very nasty as well.

Save the points from a DP and just spend 1 CP to outflank your long fangs

I'm still going to give Drop Pods a try and continue to run a Blackmanes Army/list. I really want to try a Leviathan in a Pod as well as MM Long Fangs in a Pod all coming down together. Murderfang in a Pod could be very nasty as well.

I build my lists to be more fluffy than competitive considerations, bud. I play Blackmanes for a reason, not saying you're wrong, but I like the fluff. 

I also think Drop Pods have the potential for greater tactical flexibility than just popping up on a board edge. It'll be easier to get x4 MMs in half-distance range of something that needs to be zapped than showing up on a board edge, for example. 

Anyone else considering adding LSS and Storm Hawks to your lists? I'm very excited about being able to use these to units!

I build my lists to be more fluffy than competitive considerations, bud. I play Blackmanes for a reason, not saying you're wrong, but I like the fluff.

I also think Drop Pods have the potential for greater tactical flexibility than just popping up on a board edge. It'll be easier to get x4 MMs in half-distance range of something that needs to be zapped than showing up on a board edge, for example.

Anyone else considering adding LSS and Storm Hawks to your lists? I'm very excited about being able to use these to units!

I am liking the Storm Hawk using Keen Senses to smash annoying Eldar flyers. Quite a cheap unit for what it packs

Ive run 2 stormhawks flanking a loaded Stormwolf just cause it looked cool. Performance wise its great if you opponent has fly but if they dont they reeeeaaally struggle with the lack of PotMS.

Ive run 2 stormhawks flanking a loaded Stormwolf just cause it looked cool. Performance wise its great if you opponent has fly but if they dont they reeeeaaally struggle with the lack of PotMS.

But with the new shooting stratagem, PotMS isn't as necessary anymore, right?

Something else that will be fun is using the strategem to place a unit of Hellblasters or Long Fangs “On the Hunt”.

Really my favorite is a squad of bolter Aggressors. That way they are in range in turn one, and with my lists, I'll have so many high priority targets, I doubt anyone is going to blow them off the table the turn they arrive, and turn two they will be absolutely brutal

Something else that will be fun is using the strategem to place a unit of Hellblasters or Long Fangs “On the Hunt”.

Really my favorite is a squad of bolter Aggressors. That way they are in range in turn one, and with my lists, I'll have so many high priority targets, I doubt anyone is going to blow them off the table the turn they arrive, and turn two they will be absolutely brutal

You cant outflank turn 1 under the beta rules for reserves.

I will ask again. Anyone have an opinion on using the great frost axes on the wulfen still? They'd be hitting on 2s now. 

Only on the charge, correct? Still, 2's on charge, being charged, or any HI's from a possible Wulfen(?) Guard Pack Leader or Wulfen Pack Leader, is going to hurt.

It's solid damage I'd expect, and the likely consistently favorable to wound rolls will be useful, more than enough to justify the model and the points.

The single largest issue is, unless you've got plenty of SS Wulfen in front to weather the rain of enemy insults, fire, whatever, etc., well... any foe knows now, Astartes are sometimes wearing tissue paper armor, due to the AP -x's being "way" too common.

I expect whatever balance you find will be enough. If a Wulfen Pack can take a WGPL as well as a Wulfen Pack Leader, that's 11 or 12 models, each with what, 4+ save, 2 Wounds, 8" move, maybe 10", and if you have perhaps 4 SS/xx, 3 Paired Claws, and 3 Great Frost Axes, you would be solid. Still, that's a total guess; someone with no actual Wulfen model experience here, but, it does make a decent all rounder pack. If no interest in the Claws, go with 5-7 SS/TH or other weapon to taste, and 3-5 GFA's.

But with the new shooting stratagem, PotMS isn't as necessary anymore, right?

Uh, combine? Basically, if one needs, Keen Eye, PotMS, and anything else that gets one to a 2+ to hit is nothing to pass up on!

It will work until your opponents know what they can do. After that they will be targetted, though for 185 pts for 5 of them it is well worth it for how much firepower they will take. I’ve teleported Deathwatch Aggressors in....itsa....comical when they drop and you tell them what they will do next turn, I’ve had opponents forfeit at that point.

Our version of the Smash Captain will be a Wulfen Lord

Wolf lord with thunder hammer and jump pack (can put a SS or gun in his other hand)

Wulfen Stone relic

Jump Pack

Saga of the Wolfkin

His relics and WL trait give him A+2

Hitting on 2's rerolling his first round of combat

If you face a knight you don't need +1 on your wound rolls.  You need seeking a saga for 1 CP to reroll all wounds

And you can swing again or fight if you die so you have 12 potential attacks in 1 turn and are a legitimate knight killer or KEQ killer hehe

His weakness is overwatch but he does have 6" heroic intervention 

Codex trumps rules, codex says any turn, so yes turn 1.

Another hero that makes me smile

Runepriest who is made for clearing hordes (our psykers have WS2)

Runepriest

Black death relic (need to confirm it is legal to give to a RP but gives D3 extra attacks)

Saga of the wolfkin

Fury of the wolf spirits

You fight in melee with approx. 4+D3 regular attacks and 6 wolf spirits

You fight again with the stratagem and are singlehandedly clearing hordes with 20+ melee attacks at WS2

Codex trumps rules, codex says any turn, so yes turn 1.

Dude I'm not going to get into that argument with you.  The beta rule is clear on what can and can't be done.  Read it carefully and good luck trying to be "that guy" in your FLG 

Archived