Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pure Custodes - 2k points. Need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Decade

Decade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
This is the first list I've put together for the Custodes as I mainly okay Thousand Sons and Space Wolves.

I'm not super competitive and so I don not want to run a bunch of bikes. But I also don't know if this list is any good.

Hoping to get some help and guidance to improve the list.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [98 PL, 1994pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain-General Trajann Valoris [10 PL, 250pts]

Shield-Captain [7 PL, 128pts]: Castellan Axe, Misericordia

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 164pts]: Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [8 PL, 171pts]
. Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield
. Custodian: Guardian Spear, Misericordia

+ Elites +

Allarus Custodians [13 PL, 264pts]
. Allarus Custodian: Castellan Axe, Misericordia

Custodian Wardens [14 PL, 268pts]
. Warden: Castellan Axe, Misericordia

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 125pts]: Storm Shield, Vexilla Magnifica

+ Fast Attack +

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 282pts]
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia

++ Total: [98 PL, 1994pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by Decade, 21 August 2018 - 07:44 PM.

• MyD4rkPassenger likes this

MyD4rkPassenger

MyD4rkPassenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
  • Faction: Chaos/Imperium

It is not dissimilar to the list I run actually.  You'll definitely want to hug that vexilla as you will be running across the board.  I only have two HQ units, both on foot, so I can't give much advice to the bike captain other than of course keep him with the others.  Since I only have two HQ I run the -1 to hit and the +1 attack banner since like you I have a lot of bodies on the ground all trying to keep under the one banner anyway.  Additionally two banners gives you an additional target for Vexilla teleport homer should you be inclined to use it with the terminators, I find it is a fantastic strategem and most often than not snags me slay the warlord.  Depending on how many models you have, if you did drop some misericordia you could fit another guardian somewhere, absolutely your choice though as I have gotten use out of the dagger in power level games.  

As I said though it is very similar to the list I run and I have a lot of success in a non competitive environment!

gallery_63428_7083_6894.pngX2Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png WHTV40kListsHeader Custodes

Decade

Decade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the reply. My original list actually did not include the shield captain on Dawn eagle bike and instead I had one additial spear guard in each of the three guard units. I may revert back to that. I also like the idea of running the banner for the additional attack you mentioned.

Edited by Decade, 21 August 2018 - 08:19 PM.

MyD4rkPassenger

MyD4rkPassenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
  • Faction: Chaos/Imperium

The double banner combo has served me very well, as they tend to keep each other alive via the nature of their effects.  I wouldn't necessarily discount the bike captain if you are feeling him, he is an extremely deadly choice.  I'm also interested in how Trajan works out for you, he is the only model I don't have in the range and seeing as how we are of the same mind list wise I'd love to hear how he performs.  

I don't know how much you're interested in a tactica talk but I'll explain a few of my choices.

I usually run two 3 man squads, and then a large 7 man guard squad.  

In my mind playing objectives is already a tad difficult for my 26 model list, and I don't want my two most mobile units grabbing objectives as they happen to be the deadliest as well.  With that I keep two small 3 man squads with two shields each, it may not be optimal but if I do have to plant one on an objective theres a solid chance they will not give.  

With a large guardian squad I do all spears so I have the option of targeting them with piercing strike and or avenge the fallen strategems.  I once got hit with a particularly nasty gene-stealer charge and lost a fair bit the guardians.  Popped avenge the fallen and the survivors killed nearly the entire squad in retaliation.  

I really like the four warden setup you have, almost all my opponents have either overlooked my three and suffered for it or have focus fired them knowing how much the axes can do.  Make sure to send those against the dreadnought/armiger type enemies as they cut through them like butter.

gallery_63428_7083_6894.pngX2Nostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png WHTV40kListsHeader Custodes

swordofmandulis

swordofmandulis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts
I agree with everything said. If you are wanting to play a nice balanced list but still optimise it a bit then I'd lose Trajann and keep the bike captain. But Trajann is super cool and also deadly, he's just about 30ish points too expensive.

As said above I'm a huge fan of running a large guardian squad, with misericordia, piercing strike and potentially avenge the fallen you can massacre almost anything, if you can get them in range of the +1 attack banner too then it's goodnight sweetheart to whatever you are about to hit, one word of advice, GW in their infinite wisdom decided to make Custodian Guard squads leadership 8 because reasons...I know right, so you can be susceptible to morale, for the love of God keep a re roll in your enemies shooting phase and the combat phase just incase. Nothing hurts more than losing a 56 point model to morale.

Wardens don't see a lot of attention, I would either pay a CP to put them or your larger guard squad in teleport, they can slip under the radar though with allarus and vertus causing havoc.

If you are looking for other fun and cool units to play then I recommend the Contemptor Achillus and the Telemon, especially the Telemon with dual iliastus accelerators, they are guns you desperately need. Caladius also is very useful, it can kill Leman Russes and it outranges Lascannons and Neutron Lasers.

Of course you only need to do morale at the end of the turn, too much 30k being played by me, but keep a reroll for that squad.

Edited by swordofmandulis, 18 September 2018 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users