How old are you?

old git

Oh dear, born in 58 which makes me 60, eye sights not so good (I don't bother painting eyes in anymore) and I mix a lot of old rules up with the new ones (rogue trader) a lot (sigh), think i'll go and get my cocoa and slippers  :wink:

As a 99 baby, I shall take my place at the bottom of the list so far.

Gonna have to challenge you there as the same, though you've certainly been round the forum longer :D 

‘81er here.

Something I’ve also wondered is whether the B&C user base is older than the hobby as a whole? Are there younger hobbyers who just use Facebook/Instagram/Reddit?

I think the B&C community is a bit older than the majority. There was a time forums would be filled with eager, wide-eyed 13 year old idiots, (apologies if you are currently 13, both for the remark and the disappointing years that likely lay ahead for you) but they are mostly confined to Facebook or other forms of social media now.

I think that another factor, especially for the mid twenty to mid thirty group, is that the forums like this one arose in the late nineties and early naughtiest in term of structure and how they work from a social interaction function. So a lot of us will have started visiting forums in our late teens and stayed ever since (or when a forum died moved on to another forum like this) while the younger lot, as a population in general, never really got into forums and instead are more on the younger platforms.  

I have noticed something similar in another forum I am on for another hobby. When I joined a large proportion of the membership was in the teen to early/mid twenties group, while now that has shifted by a decade and even new members are more likely to be in the mid twenties then in their teens.

Now I am of course talking in a general population sense with such broad statements rather than individual or even groups of individuals.

I heartily concur - forums are now very much old hat, and I'm damned glad I spent many teenage years interacting on sites like this rather than current equivalents. The language of the Warhammer hobby has always had a... slightly more refined lexicon, especially in Fat Bloke's White Dwarf, and I genuinely think it did wonders for my written and critical reasoning skills. I miss the Ogre Stronghold.

Oh, 25.

Gonna have to challenge you there as the same, though you've certainly been round the forum longer :D

I see your 1999 and raise you October.

Gonna have to challenge you there as the same, though you've certainly been round the forum longer :biggrin.:

Afraid I can't quite call that, yours are the glorious winnings ;) 

Gonna have to challenge you there as the same, though you've certainly been round the forum longer :biggrin.:

Afraid I can't quite call that, yours are the glorious winnings ;)

Now I sit waiting for an even younger brother to come steal my crown.

Archived