Unit of the Week: Primaris Captain

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Primaris Captain
sml_gallery_62972_11847_15697.jpg
Primaris Captain, Helias Tancred

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Primaris Captain?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Footslog or transport? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • Suitable candidates for Rites of Battle?
  • What weapon choices are you going for?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

i have enjoyed using both the regular primaris captain and the gravis one.

I loathe captain smash, so he doesn't appear on my radar like he does for most BA players. I have found that the regular primaris captain does pretty good work and because he already has a good number of attacks it works rather well with the strat that gives him more, i've tended to run him with the warlord trait that makes his ccw do an extra point of damage. Gravis captain is a bit slow, he lacks the aggressors standard extra bit of speed from their ability to move, advance and still shoot with no penalty, but his weapon options work fairly well to allow you to take on a variety of targets, i usually use the above warlord trait on him again to either make the fist 1d3+1 damage or to make the sword 3 damage (depends who im playing)

What do people think of the plasma/fist cpt, I really like the scuplt, so much so that he'd be the only Primaris captain I'd consider taking, as I don't Luke the sculpt of the regular or hravis captain, however, using him seems hard as unless you mount him in a repullsor, I don't think you can close the gap enough to be effective. Also he seems be would be best suited to close combat with his loadout and Primaris tend to lack a good CC option. On an unrelated note I would love to see chapter specific equialents of generic Primaris characters like chaplains and captains in the same vein as the Lt.s for BA, DA and SW.

I prefer the regular model honestly, but the loadout is decent.

IMO the primaris captain should have been able to take any option that appears in one of the kits instead or being forced to use specific combos. He also should have been able to get the MC power sword on PA version not just gravis.

Back on topic though, the plasma pistol and fist make that captain better placed to sit in a repulsor with something like aggressors.

• 4 weeks later...

I 've been trying to decide with armament load out is better for primaris captain, in an all primaris army.

The plasma+fist cost 8 points more than rifle+sword.

Shooting wise, he misses range but gets a lot more stronger up close (and shoot in close combat), with light anti-tank capabilities.

In close combat, the fist hits a bit worse, wounds better (and threatens tanks), for the same AP and better damage.

I think plasma+fist are better but I'm not sure yet.

remember its

MCrifle+sword+pistol

vs

fist+plasmapistol

I think for blood angels the sword is much better generally, take artificer and you have a D2 weapon that hits on 2s (rerolling 1s) and wounds most enemies on 3s or 4s. Whilst also still having a pistol he can shoot in CC and a significant range advantage with a half decent range weapon.

For regular marines, I think the fist and pistol probably edges out, but our warlord trait plus chapter ability really helps make even a standard power sword quite dangerous on a captain (even better if they eventually see fit to let us have MC power sword on him like the Gravis version - which they really should have)

I see your point. But I think I 'm going to go with plasma+fist.

Since it will be a primaris army, only the captain and the aggressors (which I don't like) have access to something more potent in HtH combat than a power sword. Plus he can wound vehicles more effectively. The fist will probably get the +1 to damage too, as you need every edge you got.

As for ranged weapons, the plan is to send him to the front in a Repulsor (or two), so the plasma pistol's shorter range wont be an issue.

I see your point. But I think I 'm going to go with plasma+fist.

Since it will be a primaris army, only the captain and the aggressors (which I don't like) have access to something more potent in HtH combat than a power sword. Plus he can wound vehicles more effectively. The fist will probably get the +1 to damage too, as you need every edge you got.

As for ranged weapons, the plan is to send him to the front in a Repulsor (or two), so the plasma pistol's shorter range wont be an issue.

Don't forget the Gravis Captain who has a powerfist and a master crafted Power sword as well. Also the Primaris Chaplain who is not half bad in melee with his S5 AP-1 D2 either thanks to Red Thirst.

I don't like the Gravis armoured captain at all as a model, and lore wise, a poor imitation of Tactical Dreadnought armour.

The sergeants and lieutenants will have power swords, I wanted something extra.

Archived