How old were you?

sockwithaticket

Inspired by the other thread, how old were you when:

1) You started the hobby? Any lengthy breaks?

2) Signed up to the B&C?

Space Hulk started me off aged 8 somewhere in 98, I think I made it to about 13/14 before puberty and paranoia about what other people might think of nerdiness kicked in. A couple of minor painting dabbles aside I didn't pick it back up until I was just shy of 22, a recent graduate earning proper money for the first time. I signed up to the B & C pretty quickly after that, lacking anyone in my real life who was engaged with this hobby.

1) it was back in 2006-7 so I was 11-12. No lengthy breaks.

2) Signed up to the B&C in May 2009 after discovering a fan-made set of rules for Custodes in the Homegrown Rules section at the ripe old age of 14.

It was around 89-91 I was 12-13 I think and it was heroquest and then space crusade that got my attention of 40k. I’d play space crusade for hours with my little brother. In 1994 I brought a load of Orks and painted them up but then I quit pretty much straight after as girls and alcohol and raves took up all my time. Then in January this year I caught the bug again.

I started when I was 18, so about 9-10 years ago. I played only 7e WHFB and paused with the hobby after 8e got released because nobody in my group liked it and we lost our place to play. I came back about a year before the T'au Codex in 7e 40k got released and am actively playing since then.

1988 and 13, Rogue Trader until second edition. Left until the back end of fifth edition. Joined here in December 2009.

Started in 3rd when I was around 12, didn't have my army put together for another year so, I was about 13 when I had my first game of 40k at my local GW. Took a break a little after the start of 4th, and just got back in 8th. Could have got back in earlier but I did not like the direction the company was going at the time so my wallet was shut (Thank you DoW2 for making that easier and scratching my 40k itch), plus I developed a penchant for music festivals/raves and that was expensive enough for me at the time :teehee: .

Joined B@C  April 16th 2016, after lurking for a looong while.

Space Crusade got me started back when I was 13 in early 90's (I'd probably say about 93). I then moved onto full fat 40k 2nd edition sometime in 94. Continued until some point when 3rd edition was out (about 2000). Sort of drifted away a bit and sold all my stuff in 2004. Then started up again on the collecting side of things not that long after that. And been much the same since then.

Signed up to B&C in 2010.

Think I was about 5 when my Uncle gave me a painted monopose marine and some Brettonnian knights/men-at-arms. That would have been about 2001 and have been collecting on and off since then. Lost interest and sold all my stuff (about 6000 points of space wolves) back in about 2011 and then got back into the hobby in about 2013 and haven’t looked back since.

I did mention in the other thread but it's fun to have all this stuff here, too.  I was 7 when I started, back in '96, picked up a combat squad of marines for $16 if I recall correctly (same cost as the codex and bikes).  I can't remember why I ever started, I think my neighbor bought a pack of those metal scouts in the tiny foamy box and I was enamored with the idea.  Man, maybe I should do an Ultramarines homage some time, ode to my first army (yeah, Ultramarines, I was 'little Timmy'). 

I did have one break that was probably about a year in... maybe 1999-2000?  It wasn't by choice, my mother got a massive religious kick and burned my entire GW and Star Wars collection.  Since then, I bounced around between Warhammer Fantasy and 40K on an almost edition by edition rota until WFB's untimely demise but never exactly quit, just refocused. 

As for the B&C sign up... uh... -looks over- few months back.  Hey y'all. 

I was about 10, early 90s, the board games hero quest and space crusade introduced me to games workshop. I fell out of the hobby towards the end of 4th edition. Several aborted comebacks, one in 5th edition and one in 2015 when I joined B&C.

My first model was a lead harlequin model bought for me from a jumble sale. I would have been around 5. I dabbled in bit and bobs for a while but I consider my formal indoctrination into the hobby as 1998. 3rd edition launched on or about my 10th birthday and I got the boxed game as my 'big' present.

I was 9 (in 1999) when I came across the box of Space Marines that changed my life. Mostly Blood Angels and Dornlings until FW gave us the Horus Heresy. Longest break is right now, haven't painted anything in almost two years, but motivation has begun to return. Joined the B&C in 2013.

Back at high school (mid-late 90's) after playing the original space crusade and heroquest when I was a bit younger. Got into 40k just as 2nd edition was released, played til 3rd then stopped. Did the odd bit of painting for a few years but didn't roll a dice in anger for many years. Fast forward a few years, a marriage and a child then they go and release Burning of Prospero and Magnus. All of a sudden I have a large painting backlog and about 4 new armies......joined the b&c around this time, and still painting some of the Prospero contents...

I started not long before Gamesday 2001 in Baltimore. I remember this because I was up all night before painting my bright orange stegadon. I was 11 at the time. A Games Workshop store had opened up at the Avenue at White Marsh, intent on luring children in with brightly painted metal and plastic. I took a lengthy break from 2007-2015, which started due to university. I got back into the hobby due to YouTube battle reports and moving near a FLGS.

I joined the B&C in 2016 or so.

I was 10 when I started. I used to go to model railway exhibitions with my grandad, and at one there was a guy who had a little table set up with Daemonhunters vs Dark Eldar, with the rulebook and codexes. I spent the whole time talking to him and reading the books, and my grandad got me some stuff for Christmas. This was 2005.

I joined in 2009 so I was 14. I was going to do a space marine chapter called the Fire Golems, hence the naff forum name.

Started when I was 18 back in 2001 with Chaos. Here we are 17 (almost 18) years later still playing Chaos. Joined B&C in December 2007, so last year was my 10 year "anniversary" of joining the community.

2004 started my 40k addiction with the release of "Dawn of War". I was around 17-18 at the time and I got deeply and hopelessly hooked. I've been on and off hobby-wise throughout the years, mostly due to a mixture of burnout, nobody nearby who plays and lack of painting skills, but, my longest hiatus has been here recently clocking in at about a year-and-a-half.

Heh...to this day I have only one still-painted miniature....and loads of assembled, unpainted ones. The stack continues to grow. *laughs*

I joined the B&C back in 2008. Putting me at 21-22.

I started this specific hobby at age 14, which was 31 years ago. Was kind of born to gaming, my mother was an original gamer born in the 1940’s, my brothers and I grew up playing games of one sort or another.

Joined BnC at the end in 2008, which was around age 35.

Archived