How old were you?

sockwithaticket

Because it's not that? Believe what you like, but some of the things posted in the other thread were interesting and furthered the understanding of some the frater here, I was simply hoping for more of the same.

I know, I know :smile.:

but I fail to see what either of these threads contribute other than create an 'us versus them' moat and allows certain individuals to exploit that/use it as ammunition in other debates

regarding the dates, that's what the bio/profile is for on forums

*le sigh* anyway

I started collecting in late 1992, at the ripe old age of 8, yet only signed up for B&C in 2016

13, I started playing a shade over twenty years ago in the dying days of 2nd edition because my mates got into it and it looked cool.

Been active on the B&C for about five and half years? Maybe six?

Dragonlover

Can we rename the thread to Plastic Crack Anonymous?

I started lightly when I was 11, so 1999/2000. An issue of White Dwarf that featured a space marine army with a Star Wars AT-ST converted to a titan got me fully committed shortly after. I took a break for around 16 years but kept up to date with the lore and new editions and I've been lurking as a guest here since the mid the 2000s and finally registered last year when I started collecting again.

1996, aged 12.

I saw it at a friend's house, his older brother played. Mostly Epic.

My dad took me to a GW store and I chose an Eldar Jetbike as my first mini.

Then I got the 2nd edition starter for birthday, and then years of lead Eldar. Gave up around 2000.

Back again in 2015, lurked B&C, then picked up some Sternguard and paints. Hooked again.

Because it's not that? Believe what you like, but some of the things posted in the other thread were interesting and furthered the understanding of some the frater here, I was simply hoping for more of the same.

I know, I know :smile.:

but I fail to see what either of these threads contribute other than create an 'us versus them' moat and allows certain individuals to exploit that/use it as ammunition in other debates

regarding the dates, that's what the bio/profile is for on forums

*le sigh* anyway

I started collecting in late 1992, yet only signed up for B&C in 2016

Really?  Man, all I see it as is a sort of sympathetic validation with everyone in the community.  I mean, it doesn't matter if you were born in 1999 or 1949, we're all Fraeter here on Bolter and Chainsword.  My 'nerd cred' of being 'littly Timmy' twenty years ago means I remember D12 die and randomized hit location which is super useful if GW brands its own Trivial Pursuit edition (hey, no complaints, I'd totally play Warhammer Trivial Pursuit).  But that's about it. 

Just because I remember playing games with an earbud from a sony discman in my ear and arguing if it's 'neh-cron', 'nee-cron', or 'chaos android' means nothing .  We all have different talents and backgrounds, different groups and ways we play the game regardless of all those artificial diverse elements of our personalities.  There's a lot we can learn from those various points of view and experiences in equal measure, because we're all part of the same cloth of people who like 'the hobby'.  I kinda find that elating and charming as it breaks down barriers rather than creating those artificial arbitrary lines.  

Call it a non-economic corporate team building exercise.  

I was in my late 20's before I got into the universe.  Started reading HH novels in maybe 2009.

Didn't get my first minis until the last months of 5e.  Got some and the 5e rules and promptly they changed to 6e.  Sigh.

I was big into D&D, Battletech, Shadowrun, Star Wars RPG, etc. back in the mid-/late 90's and when I'd go to my game shop, I'd see 40k stuff and scoff.  It looked stupid, in my opinion, at the time.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance and they moved out of that goofy phase of art and cheesy models.

Inspired by the other thread, how old were you when:

1) You started the hobby? Any lengthy breaks?

2) Signed up to the B&C?

Space Hulk started me off aged 8 somewhere in 98, I think I made it to about 13/14 before puberty and paranoia about what other people might think of nerdiness kicked in. A couple of minor painting dabbles aside I didn't pick it back up until I was just shy of 22, a recent graduate earning proper money for the first time. I signed up to the B & C pretty quickly after that, lacking anyone in my real life who was engaged with this hobby.

1. Around 18, when I got a job and had moved out and had money.

2. I'm not sure. It was around when Warseer started to die and I needed a new home.

I got in into 40K about the time 2nd Edition came out, having played HeroQuest before that (my Dad’s way of getting my brother and I into RPG concepts) and one of my best friends had gotten the 2nd Edition box. He really wanted the Orks and Gretchin and I wanted the Marines, so I got a second box and we split it. Pretty sure I’ve still got some of those Marines in a shoe box somewhere. I ended up playing right up until college, then took a break there and got back in probably ten years later, because I needed something artistic as an outlet.

Pretty sure I joined the forum in 2011, although sometimes it seems like longer, and sometimes much shorter.

2005,aged 15.

On a trip to Cape Town, we stumbled across an issue of White Dwarf - the one promoting Fire Warrior, with the trench/chaos portal board and special scenario articles for Shas'la Kais in it. We were hooked, must have reread that thing hundreds of times before it fell apart. My dad, my brother and I managed to find a club back home in Durban, then slowly built up armies through web order, finding stock in random shops (one of which was a dodgy occult bookshop), and the likes of Maelstrom Games & Battlewagon Bitz before they went under.

I was about 10 I think, mid 2nd edition. My buddies older brother had an Ork army which I thought looked awesome. Then a little while later I was at a comic shop that sold several different lines of table top wargames. I recognized 40k, picked the starter box and the old Angels of Death codex with my birthday money, and I’ve been hooked on plastic crack ever since. I got out of playing 40k for a few years when my gaming group started focusing on fantasy more. But then I discovered this awesome community and got right back into 40k

As for the B&C, I think I’ve been a member for 4 or 5 years.

Started playing about 10 years old, Dark Future was my gateway drug then a boxed game featuring cardboard playing pieces one of which was a skeleton with burning hair called Michael Jakeson.  Can't remember how old I was when I joined the B&C or  when I joined for that matter .  I'd spent many years just surfing as a non-member, still prefer not to sign in now.

This is my 1st year playing and I'm 42 years old!  I messed about with Battletech quite a bit in my youth.  Took a LONG break being involved in other hobbies and Spacehulk bought me to 40k.  Never had the time/money/inclination to play until now.  I used to look at Spacehulk and Battlefleet Gothic ads in American comic books back in the day and always wished I could have them.  It stuck with me and Spacehulk was so fun it made me want to dig deeper into things.  

I started building and painting miniatures when I was a wee bairn. There was a long time gap of inactivity after I joined the Air Force (moving around is not condusive to the life of a miniature). I was aware and fascinated by WH and WH40K in the 90's but didn't get into it until 2006 when Horus Rising came out. Dan Abnett sucked me right into the warp (thanksalot Dan:dry.:) and I haven't looked back. I was 45 when I started and I'm just as enthusiastic about the game now as I was then..... just stiffer, and my eyesight isn't what it was:whistling:

1. Tail end of Rogue Trader - 2nd ed 40k was my personal 'golden era' for 40k and gaming

2. 40k 3rd edition - played a month and couldn't stand it, stayed around for a bit and contributed to an Index Astartes article and then basically quit the hobby completely until I got dragged into WHFB 7th edition and then discovered ForgeWorld was doing a 30k game and range.

1. Tail end of Rogue Trader - 2nd ed 40k was my personal 'golden era' for 40k and gaming

2. 40k 3rd edition - played a month and couldn't stand it, stayed around for a bit and contributed to an Index Astartes article and then basically quit the hobby completely until I got dragged into WHFB 7th edition and then discovered ForgeWorld was doing a 30k game and range.

Kinda funny how I consider 3rd edition to be 40K's golden age. I wonder how much nostalgia plays a part in what edition we think is the definitive 40k.

I had to do some serious counting on my fingers to figure this out. Started at 36 in 1989, RT era, the REAL golden age. :lol: I took many breaks over the years due to various life changes; some were short, some years long. But through it all I stayed in touch with the state of the game and with the fluff. And almost always I continued painting my Dark Angel army.

I started lurking here on B&C sometime in 2013 and finally joined in mid 2015. Took me another year to start actually posting.

Kinda funny how I consider 3rd edition to be 40K's golden age. I wonder how much nostalgia plays a part in what edition we think is the definitive 40k.

I played 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

5th, was my peak rules set.

2. 40k 3rd edition - played a month and couldn't stand it, ....

That's a pretty interesting question and I'm not entirely sure. I played 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7.5 (30K), and 8th of course.  But we'll discount 8E from the comparison bit as feelings on editions can change through its life cycle. Honestly, I seem to recall hating 5th edition and 6th edition didn't warm me much.  I think 6E Blackreach is the only rulebook I never picked up.  It was the first edition with the return of go to ground and run, wasn't it? Hmmph, edition bleed memories.  Either way, 5E was my collapsing point when I just spent most of my time with WFB (though my golden era with WFB was their 6E, no question about it).

While I played probably 2-ish years of 2E, I was too blasted young to really 'get it' and I still don't have really fond memories of 2E beyond some warm and fuzzy artwork.  3E is when I cut my teeth on the game and is definitely my Golden Era.  I remember it pretty fondly (minus the Blood Angel/Khorne Berserker Rhino Rush) and can still remember a lot of the main rulebook and codecii of the time.  I guess the game was fairly simplistic vs. 2E so it's very possible it was a mixture of more visuals and simplification that drew me then, and nostalgia that kept that as the previous high water mark.  5E could very well have just been a natural burn out point, but I seem to recall it being around the time there was a local shift away from the narrative and towards the tournament 'practice-kill-win' mindset.  And, for some reason I recall some really wonky scenery 'levels' rules that it shared with 4E. 

Hmm, might have to go peruse my old rulebooks and see what I actually remember compared to what I think I remember.  

First miniature at 10 (Citadel D&D miniatures), first rpg at 11 (D&D), it was Adeptus Titanicus at 13 that introduced me to the 40k universe followed by Space Hulk the year after, the Genestealers of which became my first 40k army (Genestealer Invasion Force from the Warhammer 40k Compilation).

Well, at junior school in the late 80s I saw some kids at school playing with these little metal armies, and I thought they looked awesome, but I didn’t know where they came from.

Then at secondary school in the early 90s I again saw some, and this time asked. I did get given Space Crusade and loved it to bits. I didn’t go into a GW store though - my local one reeked of teenage sweat and I was repelled! Eventually SC went in a cupboard and stayed there a while...

A long gap ensued, but in 2010 certain personal things brought me low, and a friend suggested I come play with some toy soldiers, to cheer me up. The revelation that grown adults could do this emboldened me. I dug out the old Space Crusade, and started frequenting my local GW store. In 2011 I joined this site to deepen my knowledge of lore, ogle the amazing paintjobs other fraters had done, and never looked back.

I would be afraid to estimate the amount I have spent on my little plastic dudes in the last 8 years- and it shows no sign of stopping, either!

Archived